Old September 10, 2003, 11:20   #1
Voltaire
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessNever Ending StoriesC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Human Hive
King

Local Time: 01:31
Local Date: November 2, 2010
CyCon-Pirate Observations
Earlier we made certain postulates regarding the relations between the CyCon and Pirates; based on observations form the early game Comrade Kody concluded that the growth in the powergraphs of the CyCon and Pirate factions could only have taken place if they had met another faction and had traded technology. This was a safe assumption to make given that the Pirates and CyCon were the only two factions experience heavy growth at that particular portion of the game. The postulate went as far as to say that the Pirates and CyCon may have pacted (a natural progression from treaty and trade).

Later our observers noted a decline in the number of communiqués between the CyCon and Pirates on the main forum. This led us to come to the postulate of either a) that this decline in communiqués resulted directly from the overall decline in participation in the ACDG, or b) that the relations between the two possibly pacted factions have declined. Though the latter may have not been as safe of an assumption to make as the former, our experts decided to go with it after analysis of the ideologies of the two factions in question, as well as some basic knowledge of the mentality of the players and teams.

In order to test this theory, as any good social scientists should, I spoke to Corellion and confronted him with this information (in a subtle way), he in turn transmitted this information to his faction. Drogue PMed me earlier stating that he thought that the Hive may have infiltrated his faction via illegal methods because of the information Corellion provided. I’ve explained the situation to Drogue. My plans succeeded, the CyCon have indeed confirmed that the above postulates may indeed be the truth, or if not they are close to the truth. Otherwise Drogue would have not contacted me confronting me about how I may have acquired the information.

This post serves two purposes, first of all we must now plan our future CyCon and Pirate relations based on the above two theories which have been confirmed to be true (or as close to it as we will get for now); and second of all to demonstrate what can be deduced from simple observation. Granted this time we were lucky, our theories proved to be true, next time we may not be so fortunate.

Chairman Voltaire
Report from the Central Continuing Committee Ad-hoc committee on Foreign Faction Observation to the People’s Congress of the Human Hive, Datalinks
Old September 10, 2003, 11:21   #2
Voltaire
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessNever Ending StoriesC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Human Hive
King

A side note to the above. The fact that the CyCon now know that we may know their about their diplomatic dealings puts us at both an advantage and disadvantage. Our ability to deduce the information, accurately, may have indeed damaged relations between our two factions (had we been wrong they would have simply laughed it off as Hive stupidity). Interestingly enough it also puts as at an advantage because of this very appearance of power, the Hive to the CyCon could prove to be a valuable ally indeed, and [Comrade HongHu] it would be useful to point out to the CyCon the advantages of joining with the Hive. After the upcoming turns unprecedented SP builds, we need to go on a diplomatic offensive on the CyCon, show them our achievements, and point out to them that if they pact with us the resources of the Hive would be behind them.

Also since I left this out of the last message, I would like to thank everyone in the Hive (particularly Comrade Kody) for their excellent work and observations of the other factions. It was via the observations of Hive members that I became interested in analyzing the possibly relations of the human factions and I proved to be good at it (I damn well better be, it’s my field of study).

Chairman Voltaire
Follow-up Memo to People’s Congress, Datalinks
Old September 10, 2003, 12:41   #3
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Local Time: 02:31
/me was busy taking notes.

Grapefruit Garden
Old September 10, 2003, 13:04   #4
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

It is unfortunate that the posts were exposed in the public forum. The CC as well as Pirates may have sour feelings because of this. On a bright side the CC sees clearly about our intention to pact with them and we have not said anything that would damage this intention. Also no actual information regarding that we have or will have made contact with peace and CC was exposed.

Grapefruit Garden
Old September 10, 2003, 13:17   #5
Snowflake
Princess

I would also like to stress again my belief that we should be extremely careful in efforts of obtaining information through nonstandard channels. It is dangerous to our reputation and long term relationship with others. My personal opinion is that such efforts should be limited to the minimum if not entirely eliminated.

Grapefruit Garden
Old September 10, 2003, 15:45   #6
Voltaire
King

Quote:
Hi Drogue and Voltaire,

How about if we start being extra rude against each other in the CyCon-Peace thread? Other factions will think we hate each other' guts, which could prove an advantage in diplomacy.
That way we can get at least some benefit out of the mess coming from the Hive's cheating.

Greetings,

Maniac
Our relations with the CyCon are secure, despite this unfortunate incident (and honestly I did not do it on purpose).

As for information gathering, yes I made the mistake of attempting to confirm the information via one of their members (and the plan worked if I do say so myself), though its consequences were unforeseen (by me).
Old September 10, 2003, 16:45   #7
Snowflake
Princess

This is actually a good idea. For people will be getting conflicting information and it would be harder to predict what our relationship will be.

ps. "Hive's cheating" So we've already earned this name huh.

Grapefruit Garden
Old September 10, 2003, 18:55   #8
Vev
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human Hive
King

Local Time: 18:31
So are we having a friendly state-sanctioned flame baiting?
Old September 10, 2003, 19:26   #9
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Oh gosh,

I go to sleep and in the morning diplomatic relations are falling apart.
Old September 10, 2003, 19:43   #10
Vev
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human Hive
King

It's not falling apart, it's becoming more interesting. Finally after months of waiting, it would not be too long before we can have a planetary gathering and chatting away at the cocktail lounge.
Old September 10, 2003, 23:35   #11
Snowflake
Princess

Give them a keg of xenorum and let them for a while that'll settle everything down. Looks like both CC and PEACE were pretty friendly to us afterall. Do one worries if he gets too many friends?

Grapefruit Garden