Old September 11, 2003, 06:39   #61
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 10:32
Local Date: November 2, 2010
It's a sad day...

I missed the press conferance due to a lecture, but we were told that she had died from the injuries by another lector.

As a reaction on this all initiation activities today, and all initiation missions what-so-ever have been canceled by FNollK.
Old September 11, 2003, 07:59   #62
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 01:32
My condolences to you folks in Sweden. It's always a blow to a sense of security when these things happen. Hopefully, this will lead to some positive things.
Old September 11, 2003, 07:59   #63
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 09:32
Old September 11, 2003, 08:13   #64
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Kropotkin
Well, now I'm quite upset. Another politician bites the dust and the cops have no clue as usual. The only thing they're good at is beating up no good spoiled leftist punks...
Those leftist punks in Gothenburg had it coming. After all, they tried to violently break in and stop a meeting between Anna Lindh and her EU collegues. It might even be one from their ranks who did it, we don't know that yet.

Lets hope they find the bastard. Those who have been violent to women is the lowest end of the inmate food chain. Bubba is going to have some fun.
Old September 11, 2003, 08:18   #65
Kropotkin
Emperor

Ha! Those little middle-class brats would never do such a thing.
Old September 11, 2003, 08:22   #66
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Kropotkin
Ha! Those little middle-class brats would never do such a thing.
Probably not, I would rather suspect a nazi. But the punks are not afraid of using violence either. Most of them try to keep it non-lethal, but there might be someone without limits.
Old September 11, 2003, 08:26   #67
Kropotkin
Emperor

The violence of the young left is something that comes out of a situation, like for example a demonstration. When the police or a nazi hits them, most of them gets into some sort of schock. It's not at all the same thing as going in alone in a posh departement store and stab the foreign minister.
Old September 11, 2003, 08:32   #68
Bereta_Eder
Settler

My condolences
Old September 11, 2003, 08:33   #69
Chemical Ollie
King

Hey, it's even on FOX:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,97028,00.html

Quote:
STOCKHOLM, Sweden — Swedish Foreign Minister Anna Lindh (search), touted as a future prime minister, died Thursday from stab wounds, the second Swedish politician to be murdered in the Scandinavian country in 17 years in a rare act of violence.

Lindh died at 5:29 a.m. after 10 hours of surgery for severe internal bleeding and wounds to her stomach and liver after she was knifed in an upscale Stockholm department store by an unknown assailant.

Police didn't believe the attack was politically motivated, despite the fact it came just three days before Swedes were to vote in a referendum on adopting the euro. Lindh was a leading campaigner for replacing the Swedish krona with the common currency — an issue that had inspired vehement opposition.

In the wake of her death all campaigning for the referendum was canceled, Prime Minister Goeran Persson said, but the vote would go ahead as scheduled on Sunday.

"We want to encourage everyone to vote on Sunday," he said, adding that government leaders had considered postponing the referendum for a month, or even a year.

Lindh's death cast a pall across the Scandinavian country of 9 million, whose residents have always enjoyed easy access to their leaders. Lindh, like slain Prime Minister Olof Palme, had no bodyguards. Only Persson and King Carl XVI Gustaf have permanent security details.

Choking on his words as he announced Lindh's death, Persson said the country's tradition of openness was forever damaged by the killing.

"The attack against her also hurt the society we've built up and in which we want to live in," he said.

The Swedish security agency, known as SAPO, conceded that security could have been better around Lindh, but stopped short of accepting blame for the incident.

"There was no threat picture against Anna Lindh and that's why she didn't have any body guard protection," acting SAPO chief Kurt Malmstroem told Swedish radio. "It is of course a failure in that this has happened. The future will have to show whether there has been an erroneous judgment."

But some criticized the agency, noting emotions were running high in the country because of the referendum.

"To put it mildly, how the hell can you say that there wasn't a threatening picture in a politically inflamed situation?" said Jerzy Sarnecki, a Stockholm University criminology professor.

The attack sent a chill through Sweden and neighboring Nordic countries, where government officials called it a threat to the kind of open and mild-mannered societies they've tried to nurture.

"Our country is known for its openness, known to be a democratic society and the closeness is and should be great between people and elected officials," Persson said. He called Sweden "a tolerant society, unique in its context, and Anna Lindh was a good representative of all that."

Finnish Prime Minister Matti Vanhanen called it "a major setback and shock" to the region's culture of openness.

In Sweden's Riksdag, or parliament, lawmakers held a moment of silence, while Swedish flags flew at half-staff across the country. Churches were to be kept open in many parts of the country and a memorial service was scheduled Thursday night in the 15th century cathedral in Uppsala, just north of Stockholm.

Agneta Blidberg, the lead police investigator, said every resource was being used to track down the attacker, who was last seen fleeing the store. Borders with Norway, Finland and Denmark were being monitored closely and ferry traffic between Sweden and the Baltic states also was being watched.

"We are using all the means at our disposal," she told The Associated Press, but added no arrests had been made.

U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan, speaking in Geneva, said he "was shocked and deeply saddened" by the news of Lindh's death.

"Sweden has lost a successful and a great foreign minister, a great Swede and a great European. I have also lost a close friend and so has the United Nations," said Annan, whose wife, Nane, is Swedish.

Lawmakers in Germany's lower house of parliament fell silent as Parliament President Wolfgang Thierse interrupted a budget debate Thursday with news of Lindh's death.

"I can only express our revulsion at this deed," Thierse said. British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw called her death a "terrible tragedy."

"Anna was a good friend of mine," Straw said. "She had this extraordinary ability to balance the demands of one of the most active of Europe's foreign ministers in her role as one of Sweden's leading politicians and that of someone who was completely committed to her family."

Lindh was head of the Foreign Ministry since 1998, serving as environmental minister before that. She was a member of the Riksdag, or parliament, from 1982-1985. She is married and has two children.

Scandinavia is relatively immune to political violence, unlike other parts of Europe. Serbian Prime Minister Zoran Djindjic was assassinated in March by allies of Slobodan Milosevic seeking to topple his pro-Western government as he was heading to a meeting with Lindh. In the Netherlands, anti-immigration politician Pim Fortuyn was shot to death by an animal rights activist in May 2002.
Old September 11, 2003, 08:34   #70
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

It was the big event on Euronews too. A political assasination is quite big news, especially in a peaceful society like Sweden...
Old September 11, 2003, 08:49   #71
Monk
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

As for the euro vote, I'd have to bet my money on a yes by 52/48 or so as they're going to get sympathy votes in the same way as Palme and Fortuyn.
Old September 11, 2003, 08:51   #72
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 03:32
say a prayer for her kids.
Old September 11, 2003, 08:54   #73
Chemical Ollie
King

Another knife lunatic went to action this morning, perhaps even a copy-cat: A guy who had escaped from a mental institution broke into a kindergarten and killed a 5 year old girl. About the same age as my daughter.
Old September 11, 2003, 08:55   #74
Al'Kimiya
Chieftain

(in swedish)
http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyhete...359147,00.html

A man kicked repeatedly at a poster of her a few hours before the event. His description fits what the witnesses said.
Old September 11, 2003, 09:02   #75
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Chemical Ollie
Another knife lunatic went to action this morning, perhaps even a copy-cat: A guy who had escaped from a mental institution broke into a kindergarten and killed a 5 year old girl. About the same age as my daughter.
Does everybody want to be famous by killing someone today or what ?
Old September 11, 2003, 09:04   #76
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:32
My God.

I'm so sorry.
Old September 11, 2003, 09:27   #77
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

What's strange to me is the huge focus on Lindh's death while the murdered 5 and 16 year old girls get one small article each on the bottom of the aftonbladet page.

BTW, where is Arvika?
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old September 11, 2003, 09:29   #78
Kropotkin
Emperor

Arvika is in the western inland, between Karlstad and Norway. Far from Stockholm that is.
Old September 11, 2003, 09:32   #79
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

My condolances. It's a sad day for democracy.

I hope Sweden can recover quickly from this tragedy.

Til vort broderfolk vil jeg sige: Gud være med Jer.

Asmodean
Old September 11, 2003, 09:32   #80
Bereta_Eder
Settler

for ****s sake lock up the lunatics is it a full moon or something
Old September 11, 2003, 09:38   #81
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Why doesn't the foreign minister have security?
Old September 11, 2003, 10:07   #82
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Local Time: 08:32
She wants swedish society to be open, and politicians able to be normal citizens and meet normal people in informal surroudings if they so chose. Sweden has always prided itself on not having a separate elite with no connection to the citizenry.

Krop, do you know if/when there's going to be a manifestation for democracy here in Umeå?
Old September 11, 2003, 10:22   #83
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Local Time: 08:32
Found it! Rådhusplatsen 12:00. I'm in class
Old September 11, 2003, 11:33   #84
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by TheStinger
Why doesn't the foreign minister have security?
SÄPO didn't know of any threat on her.
Old September 11, 2003, 13:03   #85
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 01:32
Quote:
Originally posted by SpencerH
What's strange to me is the huge focus on Lindh's death while the murdered 5 and 16 year old girls get one small article each on the bottom of the aftonbladet page.

BTW, where is Arvika?
If someone murdered Colin Powell, don't you think other murders of unknown people would pretty much be relegated to such a status in U.S. news sources?
Old September 11, 2003, 13:06   #86
MrFun
Emperor

damn -- I thought for sure she would have survived the wounds

It really did not sound like they would be fatal -- at least, from initial statements.
Old September 11, 2003, 14:16   #87
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov

If someone murdered Colin Powell, don't you think other murders of unknown people would pretty much be relegated to such a status in U.S. news sources?
Sweden has an average of 10 murders/month. So the murders of two girls within a short timespan is much more consequential than here. Personally, I care more about them than about any politician, Swedish or otherwise (except for my brother-in-law, crazy commie though he is).
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old September 11, 2003, 14:42   #88
Kropotkin
Emperor

Buck: No point in asking me. I don't care for such things.

Manifestations that is. Democracy is fine.

Didn't know you lived around here nowadays though.
Old September 11, 2003, 14:46   #89
Combat Ingrid
Prince

Local Time: 17:32
Spencer: This has bigger implications than other murders. Sweden has been very proud of being so peaceful and secure that even the top politicians don't need bodyguards all the time. Events like this ruin that feeling of safety. Loss of innocence in a way.

But sure, under different circumstances the other killings would have been breaking news.
Old September 11, 2003, 14:46   #90
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:32
You have my condolences, Sweden.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...