Old September 11, 2003, 15:30   #91
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 03:32
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Combat Ingrid
Spencer: This has bigger implications than other murders. Sweden has been very proud of being so peaceful and secure that even the top politicians don't need bodyguards all the time. Events like this ruin that feeling of safety. Loss of innocence in a way.

But sure, under different circumstances the other killings would have been breaking news.
I can understand that even if I disagree with the premise. I think a good analogy is the events of 9/11 in NYC. America is actually no less violent after the event, but there seems to be a strange sense of loss for many people.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old September 11, 2003, 16:18   #92
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 10:32
Guess who has been appointed (acting) foreign minister now? Jan O Karlsson, the least diplomatic person in the cabinet. He caused a scandal when he referred to GW Bush as " that bloody Texan". While the statement is technically correct, it is not the smartest thing to say at a dinner with the American ambassador.

Anna Lindh had the carisma and integrity to frankly express her view and still be close friend with her counterparts, while Jan O Karlsson is just an arrogant jackass. But I guess he will not last long on that position, as Göran Persson has plans to completely restructure the cabinet after the Euro referendum.
Old September 11, 2003, 16:32   #93
statusperfect
King

Jan O Karlsson has guts
Old September 11, 2003, 16:36   #94
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

We wll just have to wait and see what happens...
Old September 11, 2003, 16:50   #95
Winston
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SpencerH

Sweden has an average of 10 murders/month.
Actually, they have 900 murders/year. Their murder rate vs. population is twice that of the US, 3 times that of Denmark, 5 times that of Norway and nearly 10 times that of Finland.

Interpol just published this last week. Although not all the statistics are necessarily from the same year (overview is published semi-annually), the above numbers were all from the years 2000, 2001 and 2002. Interpol notes that there are no significant variations from national trends during those years.

So basically Sweden isn't all that peaceful and non-violent, that we would all like to think.
Old September 11, 2003, 17:01   #96
Chemical Ollie
King

I think our high number of murders is a cause of our "hospitality". Most of our murders are either muslim women who are beaten to death by their family to punish them for adapting Swedish manners, or members of the Russian or Serb mafia who have internal shoot-outs. We also had a lot of nutcases going berzerk recently, an effect of drastic cuts in mental clinic fundings.
Old September 11, 2003, 17:03   #97
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by statusperfect
Jan O Karlsson has guts
So did Anna Lindh. But she also had charm and wits, which Jan O Karlsson has nothing of.
Old September 11, 2003, 17:06   #98
Footie Mad
Prince

Local Time: 09:32
Those statistics are rubbish since all unnatural deaths in Sweden count as murders until resolved which gives a misleading number, comparing for example with Norway where a death is not labeled murder until confirmed so. Real number of murders are low.
It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars
Old September 11, 2003, 17:08   #99
Kropotkin
Emperor

Winston: Those statistics are not accurate. The correct figure are along the line of 100-150 per year.
Old September 11, 2003, 17:11   #100
Winston
Emperor

Accurate or not, they are the numbers Interpol use for comparison between countries.
Old September 11, 2003, 17:13   #101
Kropotkin
Emperor

In fact, it seems like the latest figures are 219 for 2002, a 31% increase from the year before. A troublesome trend indeed but not at all 900.
Old September 11, 2003, 19:20   #102
Kitschum
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Winston

Actually, they have 900 murders/year. Their murder rate vs. population is twice that of the US, 3 times that of Denmark, 5 times that of Norway and nearly 10 times that of Finland.
I suppose Interpol must have forgotten a decimal point in that figure. The actual number of reported crimes involving lethal violence in Sweden in 2002 was 98 (3 of which were committed in previous years). The higher figure mentioned by Kropotkin is misleading since it includes many cases which were initially reported as murders while turning out to have been either duplicate reports, accidents, suicides or from unknown causes, and so on. So the figure of 900 is not only not accurate, but in fact amazingly ridiculous. This also means that there was no increase in lethal violence last year. What was that they say about lies, damned lies and st- again?

For a source to this, see pages 32-33 (Chapter 2) in:
http://www.bra.se/extra/publication/...ication.287.=1

---

As for Anna Lindh, I don't have words for what I'm feeling. It's just a shock and a tragedy and I can't express it properly yet.

Last edited by Kitschum; September 11, 2003 at 19:25.
Old September 11, 2003, 19:30   #103
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

One would expect that a Dane would know enough about Sweden to know that 900 murders/year is a ludicrous number. I only lived there for 7 years and I know its bullshit. I was surprised to see it at 100-150.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Last edited by SpencerH; September 11, 2003 at 19:44.
Old September 11, 2003, 19:46   #104
Winston
Emperor

Just referring what I read in the paper last Saturday. The number of 900 murder cases drew only minor objections from two quoted Swedish criminologists. Plus it has to be worth something for Interpol to publish it in their official country comparison.

The fact remains that Sweden has by far the highest murder rate per capita of any Nordic country. The notion that Sweden is an immensely peaceful and harmonic society is false.
Old September 11, 2003, 19:47   #105
Rasbelin
Emperor

I have just read all articles by SVT and saw some of the videos. The press conference was quite informative, but the English part is fecking bad. They didn't summarise the events properly. Well, that God I'm blingual, because otherwise I would have no clue what's going on. I was abit confused when I read the morning paper today, but now I realised she actually has died. IMO a very sad incident. However I have to point out that you can't blame SÄPO too much for what happen, as it was unexpected. One thing that makes me confused is that how the feck is it possible no one notices someone probably in a hurry leaving NK. At least I do pay attention to such sights, even if a person wouldn't be running. Also the security guards of NK are a big question mark IMO. Where were they?

Hopefully the hitman will be caught soon.
Old September 11, 2003, 20:00   #106
Kitschum
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Winston
Just referring what I read in the paper last Saturday. The number of 900 murder cases drew only minor objections from two quoted Swedish criminologists. Plus it has to be worth something for Interpol to publish it in their official country comparison.
It's not worth an iota, see my source above.

Quote:
The fact remains that Sweden has by far the highest murder rate per capita of any Nordic country.
That might be (although I don't think so), but it doesn't remain from what's been provided in this thread so far.

Quote:
The notion that Sweden is an immensely peaceful and harmonic society is false.
Yes it is.
Old September 11, 2003, 20:07   #107
Rasbelin
Emperor

Göran Perssons tal är nog rätt sĺ berörande...
Old September 11, 2003, 20:14   #108
Kitschum
King

This seems to be the latest on the hunt for the assassin: (in Swedish only)

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyhete...359673,00.html

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyhete...359570,00.html

It says that police are looking for a known violent criminal in the Stockholm area. This after a tip that came in short after the murder took place. Hopefully it's him and hopefully he's in police hands soon. The description they've been working with all along is of a 6 ft tall man, "weathered" face, overweight, with several layers of clothes on. He looked "Swedish" with fair skin, thin face and medium-length dark brown hair. He had on a blue cap, a green camouflage jacket and underneath it a thin gray jacket (munkjacka - what's the right word?).
Old September 11, 2003, 20:20   #109
Kitschum
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Asuka
Göran Perssons tal är nog rätt sĺ berörande...
Ja. Hela dagen har varit nedstämd och känts tom och det har varit svĺrt att inte grĺta. I really don't know what else to say. It feels unreal.
Old September 11, 2003, 20:34   #110
Rasbelin
Emperor

T.S. Sorry for my little outburst in Swedish.

Despite I'm a Finn, I have to say it's a chocking news. I'm thinking back in time and trying to find a similar event in Finnish history, but I think it has to go back to the murder of general governor Bobrikov by Eugene Schaumann in 1904, if speaking of direct political assasinations. More recent cases directed towards authority would include the murder (hmm... or was it "just" manslaughter) of two policemen in Helsinki several years back by the Dane (Danish citizen, so he was sentenced to prison, where he would first be held in Finland and then in Denmark) Steve Christiansen. Hmm. Can't now in the middle of the night remember any other incidents for some reason.
Old September 11, 2003, 21:55   #111
Rasbelin
Emperor

Sleepy me was supposed to say Steen Christensen. Sorry for my little slip of tongue.
Old September 11, 2003, 22:04   #112
molly bloom
King

Local Time: 18:32
I think at least Sweden can take comfort from the fact that so few of its politicians and monarchs have been murdered. Karl XII, Gustavus III, Palme, now Lindh. Not a great many in the modern era, especially given the way that Sweden's politicians moved through society.
British politicians of the same status could not move about as freely, neither could the monarch.

Didn't the Danish queen also ride her bicycle to work?

That's what I think puts the 'civil' in civilization- even if you don't agree with constitutional monarchies, or the Scandinavian governments, they are what the French would call 'bien civilises'.

I would hope that her killer is deranged- small comfort, I know, but at least it would be a sign that the political culture in Sweden isn't taking a turn for the worse.

The Swedes (and the Swedish posters here) have my
sympathy.

I don't know what you're talking about by international law. G.W. Bush, 12/03
Old September 11, 2003, 22:06   #113
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 01:32
Quote:
Originally posted by molly bloom
I think at least Sweden can take comfort from the fact that so few of its politicians and monarchs have been murdered...Gustavus III
And at least that one gave us a spiffy opera.
Old September 11, 2003, 22:40   #114
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 04:32

The AP Article brought a literal tear to my eyes.

Quote:
Originally posted by Q Cubed
say a prayer for her kids.
Have your run out of 9/11 threads to troll in?

Please don't use the imperative when saying things like that. Magic words were invented for a reason.
Old September 12, 2003, 03:16   #115
Chemical Ollie
King

The police is looking for a street junkie with mental disorders. Another Christer Pettersson...

There has been a discussion about the state of mental healthcare in Sweden recently. With drastic cuts in fundings, numerous nutcases are now out on the streets and we have seen them murdering several people this year. One guy raced his car down the pedestrian street in Stockholm old town, killing two and wounding several more, while another nut went berzerk with an iron rod on seven people, of which one died. And now we have two brutal knife stabbings within 20 hours, one killing a 5 year old girl and another killing Sweden's most admired politician. Lock those freaks up!
Old September 12, 2003, 03:24   #116
Oerdin
Deity

BBC is reporting that the Swedish police have the name of the murderer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3102354.stm
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old September 12, 2003, 03:26   #117
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
The suspect is in his 30s, has long dark hair and is said to be psychologically disturbed.
Does anyone know if the suspect is Swedish or a foreigner?
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old September 12, 2003, 03:32   #118
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
BBC is reporting that the Swedish police have the name of the murderer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3102354.stm
They have found and interogated him, but concluded he was innocent and let him go.
Old September 12, 2003, 04:21   #119
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by St Leo

Have your run out of 9/11 threads to troll in?

Please don't use the imperative when saying things like that. Magic words were invented for a reason.
What are you talking about?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old September 12, 2003, 04:39   #120
Rasbelin
Emperor

There's a press conference in 20 minutes time, which might give us some clues. Also streamed live on the SVT website.