Old September 11, 2003, 13:50   #61
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 01:32
Local Date: November 2, 2010
But as long as it's sold on the global market then it will lower our prices and they simply MUST sell or they go bankrupt.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old September 11, 2003, 13:59   #62
HershOstropoler
Settler

Local Time: 09:32
If the US no longer buys from the Saudis, how does that affect global demand and supply?
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old September 11, 2003, 14:03   #63
Oerdin
Deity

As you said China buys from them so China does not buy from someone else. It's all about global supply and as long as the Saudis are selling to someone then global supply is increasing.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old September 11, 2003, 14:09   #64
HershOstropoler
Settler

You assume in increase in Saudi output. But we're mostly talking about a change in supply patterns, where (in this example) China and the US switch suppliers.
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old September 11, 2003, 14:17   #65
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 00:32
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
But as long as it's sold on the global market then it will lower our prices and they simply MUST sell or they go bankrupt.
They don't have to sell as much as they do.
Old September 11, 2003, 14:20   #66
Oerdin
Deity

You're right. But I remember reading an article in Forbes earlier this year which said the Saudis are having major budget problems as a result of a population that is mostly under 20, big subisides they put on food & energy, and the falling price of oil. These guys NEED to sell oil to someone.
Old September 11, 2003, 14:24   #67
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 10:32
Quote:
These guys NEED to sell oil to someone.
What about the East Asians ? With the booming economies and the huge population, I suppose their demand for oil is skyrocketing ...
Old September 11, 2003, 14:44   #68
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:32
It doesn't matter if we buy from someone else, the Saudis would stil ultimately gain. It would help, however, if we decreased our use of oil.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old September 11, 2003, 14:48   #69
Oerdin
Deity

I am agreeing with Ramo? Dear lord the writting must truly be on the wall. We need to find ways to decrease our dependence upon oil, especially foreign oil, and it is clear Bush will not do this.
Old September 11, 2003, 14:56   #70
HershOstropoler
Settler

Quote:
You're right. But I remember reading an article in Forbes earlier this year which said the Saudis are having major budget problems as a result of a population that is mostly under 20, big subisides they put on food & energy, and the falling price of oil. These guys NEED to sell oil to someone.
They surely depend on their oil. But they usually produce 10-15 % of the global output, and have 25 % of the world's reserves. And with spare capacity are the key swing producer. So unless you find a way to reduce global demand by/find alternative sources for 400 million tons per year, you won't but the Saudis dry. What is happening is the opposite, US import needs will grow sharply.
Old September 11, 2003, 15:41   #71
Brundlefly
Prince

Local Time: 04:32
The Saudi royal family are some of the richest people in the world , yet the people they rule live impoverished. These royals (like leaders in many other Islamic countries) use religion to divert the publics attention onto foreign "enemies" and away from their lack of basic freedoms, services, and sustenance. How long before the people rise up and destroy these royals and seize control of government?
Old September 11, 2003, 16:12   #72
pchang
King

Local Time: 08:32
Minimum Wage
If you look at the minimum wage thread, you will find a lot of the same things being said of capitalist countries.

If social security were private, it would be prosecuted as a Ponzi scheme.
Old September 11, 2003, 16:52   #73
Oerdin
Deity

OK, a new question. If you were in a position of authority how would you deal with the Saduis?
Old September 11, 2003, 16:58   #74
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

I would do everything but force them to change, as fundamentally and objectively its a case of "to each his own".

Military action? Begone cretin.

At the end of the day, let them do what they want, but economically speaking, there are, and will be consequences.

We should also consider that oil-producing societies tend to be rather unstable, particularly if that is their major industry. That is Iraq is doomed even if we don't **** it up, a prospect that is looking increasingly likely .

*elijah prepares another salvo of weed bombs*
Old September 11, 2003, 17:04   #75
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Quote:
If you were in a position of authority how would you deal with the Saduis?
Encourage the build-up of two more swing producers: Russia and Iraq. Encourage liquid natural gas imports as a fuel alternative. Encourage technology and infrastructure building for fuel alternatives.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old September 11, 2003, 17:05   #76
Japher
Emperor

I'd invest heavily in horizontal drilling in Iraq
Old September 11, 2003, 17:06   #77
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

Quote:
We need to find ways to decrease our dependence upon oil, especially foreign oil, and it is clear Bush will not do this
And I'm agreeing with you??!?!? . Ah well...

Oil sucks, at the moment, our dependence means we are like a bus driving faster and faster towards an enormous hole in the ground. Needless to say, its not politically prudent to start instigating the required changes, after all, it might lose the election. Simple minded men in power, with simple minded policies to appeal to the simple minded voters . We truly are doomed.

Democracy: Ok, democracy is good to a point but lets be honest, right now it sucks!
Old September 11, 2003, 17:06   #78
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 02:32
For over 40 years saudi Arabia was a linchpin of the US position in the Arab world, and after the Shah went bye, a lynchpin of the Us position in the Gulf and Central asia (along with the Paks). During that time they became the largest purchasers of US military equipment and have immense links with the enertgy industry in the uS: anyone who thinks that such a relation just falls apart, even after something like 9/11 (which unlike PH could not directly be blamed on any state), is kidding themselves.

As for breaking SA up, it has been a state for over 60 years, and the majority of saudis now think of themselves as Saudis, even if they have clan affiliations: breaking up a self-created state (or at least, created by the House of saud without outside help) won't really happen.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old September 11, 2003, 17:06   #79
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
OK, a new question. If you were in a position of authority how would you deal with the Saduis?
As Slowwhand put it for Iraq:

Nuke the hell out of their area, until it glows.

Then nuke the area again, for glowing.
Old September 11, 2003, 17:24   #80
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Quote:
Originally posted by elijah

And I'm agreeing with you??!?!? . Ah well...

Oil sucks, at the moment, our dependence means we are like a bus driving faster and faster towards an enormous hole in the ground. Needless to say, its not politically prudent to start instigating the required changes, after all, it might lose the election. Simple minded men in power, with simple minded policies to appeal to the simple minded voters . We truly are doomed.

Democracy: Ok, democracy is good to a point but lets be honest, right now it sucks!
Our dependence on oil is economic. Oil is relatively cheap, and we have a huge amount of existing installation and technology base for oil combustion and for raw material use.

Despite the low fuel cost, there is already a lot of private incentive for combustion efficiency, primarily in aircraft and marine applications, where range, fuel capacity and cargo capacity tradeoffs encourage a lot of efficiency development. Those applications spill over into industrial engines and power production as well.

"Reducing dependency" is also a bit simplistic, since we get so many uses out of crude oil, (synthetic fabrics and polymers, chemical, fertilizer, as well as fuels) that reduction of "dependency" in one segment is pretty meaningless, because the remaining market segments are still dependent on other constitutents of different grades of crude.

Why do we use asphalt? Aside from all it's useful properties, the raw material is essentially waste left over after you fraction off heavy or intermediate crude into it's constituents. The same sort of process applies across the board - from one point of view, the particular constituents of crude oil you need for whatever you make is essentially waste material left over from other oil uses.

Transitioning to a post-oil based economy, or even one with a sharply reduced oil comsumption, is not something government can just mandate, and it's not something that can be accomplished without some economically very painful transition. You're talking trillions of dollars.

Last edited by MichaeltheGreat; September 11, 2003 at 17:30.
Old September 11, 2003, 18:20   #81
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
Transitioning to a post-oil based economy, or even one with a sharply reduced oil comsumption, is not something government can just mandate, and it's not something that can be accomplished without some economically very painful transition. You're talking trillions of dollars.
Which all means we must start that transition now. That way the pain can be mitigated and the costs of transition spread out.

Oil will run out soon. And at that point we will have a post-oil economy, expensive or not.
Old September 11, 2003, 18:24   #82
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 02:32
Soon?

Since when is at least one century soon?
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old September 11, 2003, 18:27   #83
realpolitic
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

We need solar and wind power.

We have the technology, and some of the cost of fossil fuels is keeping a strong military so those Bozos don't do something destructive with their oil money.

According to Scientific American, we have just about reached our peak oil production.
Mtg, substitutes can be found, we can use concrete for our streets, compost and dung for our farms, and don't underestimate our resourcefulness.

Last edited by realpolitic; September 11, 2003 at 18:53.
Old September 11, 2003, 19:52   #84
pchang
King

GMOs
We need to develop GMO crops to produce variable length hydrocarbons we can harvest. Then, we'll be able to grow what we need. Turning corn into alcohol is but the 1st step. The US produces more food than we need. This excess capacity could be converted to growing the hydrocarbons we need. Too bad for countries that are net importers of food, though.

If social security were private, it would be prosecuted as a Ponzi scheme.
Old September 11, 2003, 21:10   #85
Joseph
King

Quote:
Hmm, I suppose the Yemenis are cooperating and they are handy capped by not having control over large sections of their country. Still we should be helping them to gain control and enforce law and order over their tribal areas. Especially if they will agree to stop teaching the facist ideology or at least radically change it so it is n o longer facist.
To do that, we would have to kill most of the tribmans. I don't think the world would go for that at this time. (Iraq)
Old September 20, 2003, 17:00   #86
Oerdin
Deity

True. I don't see a way out of that either.
Old September 20, 2003, 22:30   #87
optimus2861
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by realpolitic
According to Scientific American, we have just about reached our peak oil production.
Boy, reading estimates like that just make me want to drink. Our economies are so oil-dependent, that once we hit that crest (and even if the estimates are off, chances are it'll be, if not in our lifetimes, then in our childrens' or grandchildrens' at the latest), things are going to start to get very painful, very quickly as crude costs rise and take the rest of the economy, and by extension, our way of life, on a roller-coaster. Way too big a problem for me to wrestle with, hence the desire to just drink.

Bleah. That's way too heavy a thought to be having on a (admittedly not exciting) Saturday night .
"If you doubt that an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the combined works of Shakespeare, consider: it only took 30 billion monkeys and no typewriters." - Unknown
Old September 21, 2003, 02:56   #88
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 18:32
Quote:
Invest in alternative energy. The best way to hurt those scumbags in the long term is to gradually chip away at the basis of their economy. The less we're dependent on oil, the less comfortable they are.

Then when they still need food and don't have anything of value to sell, put a 2,000% markup on grain shipments to them.

(I have some other ideas too, but they all involve things prohibited by the United Nations Charter.)
Old September 21, 2003, 03:07   #89
Mordoch
Chieftain

Re: GMOs
Quote:
Originally posted by pchang
We need to develop GMO crops to produce variable length hydrocarbons we can harvest. Then, we'll be able to grow what we need. Turning corn into alcohol is but the 1st step. The US produces more food than we need. This excess capacity could be converted to growing the hydrocarbons we need. Too bad for countries that are net importers of food, though.
If you're going to go this general route, you should take a look at Thermal Depolymerization.
Quote:
If the process works as well as its creators claim, not only would most toxic waste problems become history, so would imported oil. Just converting all the U.S. agricultural waste into oil and gas would yield the energy equivalent of 4 billion barrels of oil annually. In 2001 the United States imported 4.2 billion barrels of oil.
If this technology enters widespread use, the rest of the world can tell the Saudis to keep their oil and f*ck off.