Old September 10, 2003, 17:37   #1
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 03:32
Local Date: November 2, 2010
House votes to lift US ban on Cuba travel
See ya around, you know who you are and I can't call you by name or I'll get in trouble.

Wed Sep 10,10:34 AM ET

WASHINGTON (AFP) - The House of Representatives voted to end the decades-old restriction prohibiting travel to Cuba, a measure US President George W. Bush (news - web sites) has already indicated he would veto.

By 227 to 188, lawmakers approved a bill authored by Representative Jeff Flake which would withhold funding to enforce the travel ban, effectively ending restrictions on travel to Cuba by US citizens.

The House has approved similar legislation in the past, only to see the US Senate fail to take up the measure.

The bill is given better odds this year, however, with the creation of the bipartisan Cuba Working Group in the Senate -- modeled after a similar group in the House -- uniting lawmakers committed to vigorously pushing behind the scenes for an end to the embargo and increased trade with the communist island.

In a statement last week, Flake said the embargo had outlived its usefulness as a political tool.

"If the US is serious about undermining Castro and bringing democratic reforms to Cuba, the best thing we can do is lessen Castro's control over the island by allowing Americans to travel to Cuba," he said.

"We have had a policy in place for over 40 years that obviously has not brought Cuba any closer to democracy. It's clear that change in Cuba would be greatly hastened by a change in our own policy," the Arizona Republican said.

Flake has offered the amendment effectively lifting the Cuba travel ban for the past two years, and it has passed the House of Representatives by widening margins.

Bush has said, however, that he would veto any legislation relaxing the four-decade embargo of Cuba.

House lawmakers approve two additional measure designed to soften US economic restrictions against Havana, voting 222 to 196 in favor of legislation authored by Massachusetts Representative Bill Delahunt to relax restrictions on remittances to Cuba.

They also adopted, by a vote of 246 to 173, a measure by Democrat Jim Davis of Florida that would prevent the Bush administration from ending "people to people" travel exchanges to the communist island.
Old September 10, 2003, 17:38   #2
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:32
But if we can't spend any money there, what's the point?
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old September 10, 2003, 17:41   #3
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 01:32
It would atleast make it harder for Bush & company to fine people who travel to Cuba. Currently they just have to prove they went to Cuba but if this passed they'd have to prove they went to Cuba and spent money. I admite it is only a small gain but it is one more then which makes Bush's policies that much harder.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old September 10, 2003, 17:41   #4
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

What could they possibly have there that you would want to buy?

I knew your nappy headed self would be bouncing into this thread, Che.
Old September 10, 2003, 17:42   #5
chequita guevara
Emperor

The government currently does little to Americans who travel to Cuba but don't raise a hue and cry about it. As long as you don't go shouting about how you went to Cuba, they tend to leave you alone.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old September 10, 2003, 17:42   #6
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand
Women? Err, I mean rum and cigars?
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old September 10, 2003, 17:44   #7
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
RUM! Seriously, Cuban rum is ****ing amazing. I bought some in Mexico. It was incredible. I even smuggled it back into the US.

Quote:
I knew your nappy headed self would be bouncing into this thread, Che.
Hey, I brush my hair.
Old September 10, 2003, 17:48   #8
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

I'll take some Cigars and Rum.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old September 10, 2003, 17:49   #9
Oerdin
Deity

Old September 10, 2003, 17:49   #10
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
RUM! Seriously, Cuban rum is ****ing amazing. I bought some in Mexico. It was incredible. I even smuggled it back into the US.

did you bring back some Cigars?
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old September 10, 2003, 17:50   #11
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 09:32
Why is it such a big deal to travel to Cuba? I can do it anyday. And always could. Was it forbidden in America?
Old September 10, 2003, 17:50   #12
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sprayber
did you bring back some Cigars?
I don't smoke.
Old September 10, 2003, 17:51   #13
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
Why is it such a big deal to travel to Cuba? I can do it anyday. And always could. Was it forbidden in America?
Uhm, yeah.
Old September 10, 2003, 17:52   #14
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 00:32
Hot damn!

Actually, they have some pretty nice tours out of here, going to the beach and diving spots on the island. Much cheaper than any other destination in the Carib.
Old September 10, 2003, 17:54   #15
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Evidently, Ralph.
Not the sharpest knife in the drawer, are you, buddy ?
Old September 10, 2003, 17:55   #16
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
Because the place is run by dirt godless commies who stole the property of the US sugar company.
Old September 10, 2003, 17:56   #17
Harovan
staff

Quote:
Evidently, Ralph.
Not the sharpest knife in the drawer, are you, buddy ?
Amazing. Are you sure you live in the land of the free and the home of the brave?
Old September 10, 2003, 17:58   #18
Harovan
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
Because the place is run by dirt godless commies who stole the property of the US sugar company.
May be, but they are godless commies with the best rum and cigars on this goddamn world and with loads of HOT chicks.
Old September 10, 2003, 17:58   #19
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Yes, very sure.

Well, not Che. He lives in Florida.
Old September 10, 2003, 18:01   #20
Harovan
staff

Quote:
Yes, very sure.

Well, not Che. He lives in Florida.
Been in Florida. Nice place. Unfortunately, they screwed the last elections.
Old September 10, 2003, 19:27   #21
Sprayber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara

I don't smoke.

For me damnit, for me