Old April 21, 2000, 13:16   #1
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 21:56
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Let me guess. Build a city with no access to water then change the terrian so the city has access to water.
Old April 21, 2000, 13:30   #2
WarVoid
King

Local Time: 05:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Xin: That might work using the events triggers.
Old April 21, 2000, 18:58   #3
blackclove

Xin's right. Make your original map have "extra" land squares around the locations where the cities will be. Build the city. Then change the land with the editor into water.

This will also work using the events triggers, yes.

I believe you can also use this trick to make landlocked cities that can build ships by building a city near water, then painting over it with the editor.

Old April 22, 2000, 00:46   #4
The ANZAC
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 00:56
Hwo do you prevent naval units from being built in some cities?
I've seen in a WWII scenario by Andrew Livings, in which he has prevented minor cities from building ships, while major cities can. Does anyone know how you do this?
Old April 22, 2000, 09:37   #5
The ANZAC
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 00:56
I thought you built the city landlocked and then added water squares. How do you use event triggers though?
Old April 22, 2000, 11:28   #6
blackclove

Re: Event Triggers. I think the ChangeTerrain command can be used to create water squares as well -- so you can give a city "beachfront property" even after the scenario starts, leading to cities on the ocean that have no ability to build ships.

Old April 22, 2000, 13:03   #7
WarVoid
King

blackclove is right. Using the ChangeTerrain function you can change a square of terrain into any other type of terrain you want including water. This trigger won't work though unless you have FW.
Old April 22, 2000, 13:37   #8
DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 01:56
Don't destroy a city with water though, or you'll make it a quasi-city. It will be wiped out, but it will still exist in the program's memory for some reason. Kill a city with land first, then water.

But in your case, changeterrain would be kind of daft. You could just surround the area of the city with land, build the city, and then remove the water. You don't need events to do that (and I don't see why you would even want to).
Old April 22, 2000, 19:44   #9
Gothmog
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 01:56
Andrew Livings probably did it with hex editing the city entries in the saved file. He has it documented this at his home page.
http://members.xoom.com/HistCiv2/hexvalue.htm

Old April 24, 2000, 18:02   #10
Panda
Prince

The last time I used this I did it in a hex-editor. Before then, I had noticed that the MPS "Civil War" scenario had this feature with some of the river cities, like Memphis, and I wondered how they managed it.

Re-writing that scenario I found that if a city was land-locked when settled and water access added later, using the change terrain command, that city couldn't build ships.

The important part is what the surrounding terrain is like when the city is founded, because this is information that can't be changed, and adding water access won't be enough. If a city is land-locked when founded it won't have the neccesary flags (there's one for improvments, like harbours, and one for units). If it has limited water access, but not to a large open body (I don't know how large it would take), then it won't have the flag (I think). If it has ocean access when founded then yes to both.

If you wanted to use events to change the terrain so that a land-locked city can later have ocean access, or use a settler to change the terrain to ocean then you'd need to make sure that the city had that access when founded and it was blocked later.

Hex-editing is much easier. And I'd like to take the moment to plug an excellent hex-editor: Hex Wizard http://members.xoom.com/Hexwizard/index.htm
Old April 24, 2000, 18:04   #11
Panda
Prince

Sorry, double post.
[This message has been edited by Andrew Livings (edited April 24, 2000).]