Old September 14, 2003, 00:32   #31
Taian
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:38
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I just did the same as you (tried it again) and actually managed to slightly improve. The big change is probably in what order you irrigate/road the cattle tiles around Mecca. I irrigated one cattle and then roaded it. Did the same with the second one. I figured that the increased food and growth outweighed getting the increased trade right away. With that, it was warrior/granary/settler/settler/settler. In this second run I tried, I almost managed to end with 5 cities; the four shown in my screenshot up top (same locations too) and a 5th by the game and fish to the east of Medina. I was about 2 turns away from doing it. I'm pretty sure I could hit 5 or 6 if I didn't build the initial warrior in Mecca. Just send one from Medina and use luxuries to keep the peace in the meantime.
Old September 14, 2003, 01:23   #32
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Beta
We will have lots to discuss regarding whose save we use.
Discuss all you want, ultimately it will not be up to you...heh-heh.

(The players who decide which save continues on each team are not the same players that are on that team. At least, that's how I think Rhoth wants to do it.)

Dominae
Old September 14, 2003, 03:15   #33
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

actually I think the voting is exclusively between the guys on the team.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old September 14, 2003, 10:35   #34
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Dominae

Discuss all you want, ultimately it will not be up to you...heh-heh.

(The players who decide which save continues on each team are not the same players that are on that team. At least, that's how I think Rhoth wants to do it.)

Dominae
Yes - my understanding was the same as MZ's. I thought the teams were set for the duration. And that was the reason why the 2-saves-in-a-row cap on one player was implemented.

I may be mistaken - and I am easy either way. It just makes sense that if you head into a game with a 'domination' focus, you should stick with it. (Unless of course - you are the opportunistic type. )
Old September 14, 2003, 18:33   #35
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 01:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Master Zen
actually I think the voting is exclusively between the guys on the team.
That was the way I'd intended it to prevent any messing around from others if this had become a pure competition game. Since it's not a competition, I'm up for suggestions either way (before Tuesday ). But I'm leaning toward only the people on the teams voting for the continuation of their game. Another thing is that if there is a tie, do you want the game admin (me) to break the tie?
Old September 15, 2003, 08:04   #36
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

I think the voting should be in-team.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old September 15, 2003, 10:23   #37
Dominae
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
I think the voting should be in-team.
Why?
Old September 15, 2003, 11:01   #38
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Good question.

My answers:

1) Quicker, I think
2) Since each team has an objective or theme, the members of any given team have might be the best judges of which save is the best for their stated objected/theme.

I could be wrong. And frankly, it's not a big deal to me.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old September 15, 2003, 12:04   #39
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Quote:
2) Since each team has an objective or theme, the members of any given team have might be the best judges of which save is the best for their stated objected/theme.
I agree with this. Because our goals are the broadly the same, it makes more sense for those who have actually played out the turns with these goals in mind, to best be able to look at the games and determine the best save based on these goals. It may not be apparent from the first 40 turns, but this will become more apparent as the game progresses and each team’s games diverge further and further.
Old September 15, 2003, 12:14   #40
Dominae
Emperor

I think the players on each team are aware enough of the goals of the other teams to act as competent judges. I mean, we all know what the Space Race is, and how to achieve it. As an outsider, one would probably be a better judge of how well a player is playing toward a certain goal.

Dominae
Old September 15, 2003, 12:45   #41
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Yup - pros and cons both ways. But I still think I prefer to keep the voting within the team. One of the reasons is, as Theseus has stated, that it will be quicker. Reviewing 5 DAR's and saves where everyone started from the same spot as you is one thing. Reviewing 17 based on three separate starts is a bit of a jump. I have reviewed the others' DARs, but not as extensively as ours.

Now, maybe that defeats in a small way the intent of the process, and makes it more of a team competition. But hey - it will become a 'bit' competitive anyway - which only adds interest to the approach.

And if there is a tie - let the team resolve it through discussion. (for example - maybe one of the saves belongs to a player who also had his/her saved used last round, in which case - a no brainer. But even with a straight tie, the discussion as to which would be the better save will be useful. As it is right now - would it be better to have a granary and a barracks, 4 cities, and two workers versus..... You get the idea.
Old September 15, 2003, 12:54   #42
Dominae
Emperor

Because each team wants to win, the players on that team are more likely to select the "best" game, rather than the "best played" game. Are you prepared to deny yourself a Great Leader?

Dominae
Old September 15, 2003, 13:55   #43
Arrian
Deity

If we're going to have other teams review, can we specify one team to each other team, like this:

Domination team reviews/selects for Opportunists
Opportunists review/select for SS
SS reviews/selects for Domination

So we each only have to review 1 set of games?

-Arrian

Old September 15, 2003, 14:23   #44
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Quote:
If we're going to have other teams review, can we specify one team to each other team, like this:

Domination team reviews/selects for Opportunists
Opportunists review/select for SS
SS reviews/selects for Domination

So we each only have to review 1 set of games?

-Arrian
That would probably be best. I think that was suggested earlier by Dominae too. That way people won't feel compelled to HAVE to read everyone else's DAR's (though it is of course recommended ), but they'll still get an idea of what other teams are doing with their victory condition.
Old September 15, 2003, 14:42   #45
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I still think each team should vote for their own saves.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old September 15, 2003, 15:17   #46
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I still say it would be more work to vote on others. Right now, I am reading all my teams and scanning the other teams. If I was to have to vote on another teams, I will have to read them with great care. I would feel more compelled to be careful about some other teams game, than the one I am particiapting in. I am not saying that is proper, but would seem to be rational.
Old September 15, 2003, 21:01   #47
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I'm for voting on *other* teams' games... but I like Arrian's idea of having specific assignments.

Here comes my DAR!

(and to quote Flounder: "Oh, boy, is this gonna be great!")
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old September 15, 2003, 21:09   #48
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

The start is fine... I happen to be a big fan of plains, as long is there is fresh water, preferably rivers.

Build plan: Scout, Warrior, granary.

Research plan: Wheel at 20% until 2 pop, then 10%.

25 gold from the near hut.

Upon Mecca hitting 2 pop, I increase to 80% research, with the Wheel now in 20 turns.

HUZZAH!! In 3500 BC, a Settler from the hut to the northwest of Mecca! Not sure where to put him... send him back to the mountains NW of Mecca for now.

In 3350 BC, I find another goody hut to the SW of Mecca. Will not pop it yet, until no Settlers around or in production. Also, find the cultural border (Japan?) to the north.

3300 BC, I meet Toku and trade Pottery and 55g for the remainder of The Wheel. Hmm, that settles that, the free town will be at Mecca 778, next to the nice Horsie but on the river. Yay!!

3200 BC, I builk Medina, start it on a Warrior. I meet an American Scout to the NE. I give the Wheel, and get BW and 10g, and then sell BW to Toku for 60g. I now have 81g and 2gpt, am at 2.8.0 with Warrior Code in 10 turns.

3100 BC, I get a Warrior from the SW goody hut... that's OK, I need an MP. The American Scout beats me to the goody hut near the NE mountains. I trade Abe Cerem Burial, 70 g and 1 gpt for Masonry. I trade Toku Masonry for the remaining 8 turns of WC and 5 g. Researching HBR.

3000 BC, I get to the hut in the far east first, and pop Mysticism!! Wait, it's right near an American cultural border... WTF??!! Well, too friggin' bad, Abe. Trade Warrior Code to him for 40 g (should have before)... I am now in the tech lead. HBR in 15 turns.

WHAT THE HELL IS "THE GLORIOUS BLACK LAND"?

2950 BC, looping back from America, I see another goody hut. Woohoo!

2900 BC, Temple complete in Mecca, and a conscript and reg Warrior as MPs... Settlers here we come!! The latest hut gives me another Warrior.

2750 BC, all cits in Mecca are content at 5 pop.

2430 BC, HBR complete. In that we are REL and lucked out with Mysticism (which I still haven't sold yet, thus a two tech lead!), I am gonna make the run through Polytheism (20 turns at max, losing 3gpt) and Monarchy. Completing a temple in Damascus (sorry, built that 4 turns ago at Mecca 999), and will use a chop of the game forest to bang out a barracks. Barbs starting to worry me. Started roading the horsie.

2390 BC, Toku has HBR, so I sell it to Abe for 90g, supporting research losses. Still ahead by Mysticism.

2270 BC, I can trade Mysticism and 130g to Abe for IW, but choose not to. We are going MOUNTED, people, big time, and we are economically kicking ass. With 138 g in the bank, I'd rather stay at max research at -4 gpt for Polytheism in 19 turns (and the loss will lessen shortly with a new town and Mecca's re-growth).

2230 BC, horses connected, start first Horseman in Medina (yes, it has a barracks). Build Baghdad at Mecca 1112. Pretty much ignoring RCP and other CP schema in favor of terrain. (Added later: chose to mine the horse hill... later regretted it as taking so long when in dire need of Workers... not being IND sucks, although in this game EXP and REL have been pretty hot.)

2190 BC, temple complete in Damascus, barracks started at 4 spt with chop in 4 turns. Re-growing Mecca up from 2 pop with a Barracks... then alternate Settlers, Workers and military units.

2150 BC, and all I can say is that this game has ABU BAKR DECEPTION written all over it!! OOH RAH!!

A general thought:

You'll notice I don;t micromanage too much, unless there is a special situation that calls for it. I usually just leave the city governors on for happiness, and focus on good CP and tile improvement for max high-value-tile usage.

Summary:

Three Workers. Three reg Warriors and two conscripts. First vet Horse on the way.

Temples in Mecca and Damascus. Granary in Mecca. Barracks in Medina.

Pop: 1 / 158000
GNP: 1 / 20 million
Mfg Good: 1 / 17 megatons

Mecca is the top city.

Mecca: 3 pop, 7spt, +3 food, barracks in 3, growth in 3
Medina: 2 pop, 4spt, +1 food, vet Horse in 2, growth in 11
Damascus: 2 pop, 4spt, +2 food, barracks in 9 (less chop in 3), growth in 9
Baghdad: 1 pop, 2spt, +2 food, reg Warrior in 3, growth in 8

1.9.0, 127g, -3gpt, Polytheism in 14

Tech lead with Mysticism, but America has IW

Beta, CARTHAGE!! I assumed that middle jungle was the tip of the continent!!

Yum yum, gonna kill me sum Numidiuns.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ausg101-2150bc.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	53378  
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old September 15, 2003, 21:14   #49
Theseus
Emperor

And the save:
Attached Files:
File Type: sav theseus-domination-2150 bc.sav (86.3 KB, 4 views)

Old September 15, 2003, 21:26   #50
charlie_six
Settler

Local Time: 08:38
Hey folks, mind if i join in too? Also, umm...whats the key for screenshot and where does it go, thanks.

I have the scenario and started playing it.

Also one more thing, is the downloaded file modded already, or do I have to do it? Thanks.

C6
Old September 15, 2003, 21:33   #51
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 03:38
You're welcome aboard C6!! The rule changes come with the scenario you've downloaded. You don't have to worry about anything, but if I were you I'd go check the AU Mod thread to know the changes. You might be tight for the first block, as the deadline to submit your game and AAR is tonight at midnight. If you can't make it, then it's ok, you'll get your share of the cake on the next turn!

--Kon--
Old September 15, 2003, 21:35   #52
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Welcome charlie_six. As you're the first person joining after the original teams were picked please go ahead and state your preference of the three teams (though I'm guessing this one since you posted here first ).

The downloaded file is already modded so you won't have to do anything but play.

As to the key for screenshots it is "printscrn" usually right above the insert and delete keys on a Dell keyboard. After you hit print screen then you need to open up an image editor (photo shop is a good one, but vmxa1 has a link to a free one called irfanview, http://www.irfanview.com ). Anyway, paste the screenshot into the image editor, resize to a maximum of 800x600, and save as .jpg file (they're smaller).

Good luck, and again welcome!
Old September 15, 2003, 21:37   #53
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Konquest02
You're welcome aboard C6!! The rule changes come with the scenario you've downloaded. You don't have to worry about anything, but if I were you I'd go check the AU Mod thread to know the changes. You might be tight for the first block, as the deadline to submit your game and AAR is tonight at midnight. If you can't make it, then it's ok, you'll get your share of the cake on the next turn!

--Kon--
It's Tuesday midnight EST...hmm, perhaps I didn't make that clear. I meant after Tuesday is done, not the start of Tuesday.
Old September 15, 2003, 21:39   #54
Konquest02
Prince

OK, my bad... I'm always mixed up when midnight arrives...
Old September 15, 2003, 21:41   #55
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Konquest02
OK, my bad... I'm always mixed up when midnight arrives...
Technically you're correct that midnight is the start of the day. But midnight EST is 9pm out here on the west coast so I was thinking "end of the day".
Old September 15, 2003, 21:58   #56
Konquest02
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
2270 BC, I can trade Mysticism and 130g to Abe for IW, but choose not to. We are going MOUNTED, people, big time, and we are economically kicking ass.
That is nice... Horseman rush on either Japan or America (preferably Japan) followed by a nice upgrade and the Ansar steamroll... I like this!

Nicely played block...

--Kon--
Old September 15, 2003, 22:10   #57
Theseus
Emperor

Both. They each have a total of three towns, and neither have any resources.

BTW, Medina culturally expands in 3 turns.

Old September 15, 2003, 22:38   #58
Beta
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus

Beta, CARTHAGE!! I assumed that middle jungle was the tip of the continent!!
It's a whole new world over there. Bit of narrows, down to one tile - which is why I have a warrior parked on it. Lots of jungle - but Carthaginians beyond that. And expanding quickly - as Carthaginians do.

That was the upside of pumping out 4 scouts. I don't often play with expansionist civs, so I kind of got carried away.

btw - great start Theseus. This will be a tough vote.

So why did you not bother with RCP? It would be interesting to see a number of different starts, and how they work out under two different scenarios. The first sticks religiously with RCP, the other picks the best terrain regardless of RCP. Hmmm... Any thoughts?

Dom? Nathan?
Old September 16, 2003, 01:27   #59
charlie_six
Settler

Okie hopefully I made it before the bell.

Great start position I think. 2 Cattle and a hill on a river. I split the difference on mining and irrigating them. For the first city I go for the max of both production and growth. I build things until 5 or 6 then pop out a settler or a worker. Building cycle was warrior, granery, warrior, spearman, settler, barracks.

My science is almost always bronze working, then iron working, and that's what I did. Off the bat I research to whatever point gets me +0 or +1g per turn

I never really played a expansion civ, but found the scout guy to be neat. Here's a laydown on the goodies:
-nothing
-warrior
-map
-wheel
-mysticism

3050: I sent my scout N and made contact with the japanese. They didnt want to trade squat.

2590: I found the wheel in a goodie hut and sold it for
30g to the japanese. Set my research to max at a loss of 3

2390: I kicked a spearman and a settler out to medinas position, and found a barbarian camp next to it. Sent in the spearman and pillaged 25g. Victory!

2350: Medina Founded. I chose that location right on the horse mainly because I didn't want overlapping land with Mecca, and it was the best place to sieze the horses the quickest. Also if anyone invades they have to take out the city in order to deny that resource.

2310: I had an extra warrior so I sent him scouting to the south. By this time I had met the Japanese, Americans, and Carthage folks. Did some trading, got alphabet for the wheel, and sold pottery for 40g

2190: Got horseback riding for alphabet from the japanese

Early in the game, my tech stategy is buy anything anyone sells me, and sell anything. Worked good in this case so far as I have a 1-3 tech lead with all civs near, have iron working so I know where the iron is, and all the other civs are penniless..hehe. The reason for that I think is finding those 2 techs in goody huts. So I would say that is the advantage of having a expansion civ. Personally I think scouts are useless but have found this to be a strength.

For the statmonkees:
pop: 1st 180k
MFG: 1st 12MT
Mecca is the top city in the world at pop 5
I'm leading tech with mysticism of the known civs
90g at 100% research math in 9 -3g per turn, (I'd sell off my other techs but all the other civs are broke, heh)

Battle Plan for next phase:

1. Contain Carthage at the S choke point. Put next city there to block them geting a city on my side of the choke point. Also get those spices, and have a port city.

2. Keep that worker building roads to the Iron, and have mecca, who is built out with buildings, start building some heavy metal swordsman. I'll send a couple horsemen there also to clear the area of barbarians, and ambush anyone setting up a city near. I'm going for a colony, since it's pretty crappy land for a city nearby. After the granery, Medina will build a temple to get it in my civ.

3. Get a city by that gold. Gotta finance that big army ya know. Plus it looks like a sweet city spot.

4. Looks like the japanese are going to get it first, since it looks like they have the best land. They also have a thing of iron near them, so they are the biggest threat.

here's the map:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	2150cut3.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	53394  
Old September 16, 2003, 01:28   #60
charlie_six
Settler