Old September 17, 2003, 17:49   #91
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 04:38
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I couldn't agree more... I really look forward to what we are going to accomplish together.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old September 17, 2003, 18:56   #92
G'Kar
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 02:38
Master Zen,
Impressive start, you've improved the terrain well and obviously have a clear plan for growth. The 2nd scout was a good idea (although it looks like you had bad luck with the huts). Building the granary early definently helped. And I must say your managment of Mecca's production and growth was right on the money.

Old September 17, 2003, 19:19   #93
G'Kar
Prince

Taian,
I like your expansion. If you're looking for long tern city sites and trying to cover as much of the map with your flag as fast as possible I think you did very well (better than me for sure). Moving the current settler S to the isthmus is exactly what I would be doing now.

I do think you should've built another scout; as others have said, being expansionist this is our advantage. There is substantial terr to the NE and S that needs to be explored.

But all in all I like you build orders and city pacement.
Old September 17, 2003, 19:33   #94
G'Kar
Prince

Konquest02,
Building the early granary was good, and overall you've improved Mecca nicely. I like the way you control the isthmus while still having allowed your settlers to settle closer to Mecca where they'll be more productive. Building the scouts clearly paid off with a map of almost everything (or everything?) and a couple techs and cash money. I also like your plans for RCP around Medina, I'm coming to be a true convert.
Old September 17, 2003, 19:51   #95
G'Kar
Prince

The Arsenal,
You've managed to cover a nice chunk of map with your color, and in the two most important directions I think. With two more cities to your NW the Japanese can largely be rendered harmless, the Yanks are another story. Building scout 2 was very beneficial.

However, I wouldn't have move the initial settler. You lose a turn, you can't mine/work the hill, and with the capitol in the center of your empire it probably won't be attacked (except by barbs maybe).

But I like your growth, and the fact that all your cities are connected.
Old September 17, 2003, 19:54   #96
G'Kar
Prince

Re: and so it begins
Quote:
Originally posted by TheArsenal
Settled the capitol Medina (oddly not auto-named Mecca, perhaps a bug due to my movement before settling),
If you pressed B to build a city and then cancelled it, I think the computer skips a city name. If you only pressed B once and it came up "Medina", I think that's odd.
Old September 17, 2003, 20:08   #97
G'Kar
Prince

Beta,
Your scouts payed off, I guess you can usually leave military units till later. Following RCP should work well with this map and this much open land. I wouldn't be building barracks in two cities right now, one should be able to provide more than enough units. But Mecca will be a nice settler pump with the granary. Very nice, and excellent exploration.
Old September 17, 2003, 21:42   #98
G'Kar
Prince

Theseus,
(now that Star Trek: Enterprise is over)
Good show, you've got four well placed cities and you could have 3 new settlers within 9 turns. You just need to send your men to the land down under. Those trades were very lucrative too; I liked your management of research spending.
Old September 17, 2003, 22:04   #99
G'Kar
Prince

charlie_six,
Yeah, that's a good idea to build cities right on top of resources; makes them much more secure. I also think this might be one rare occassion for using a colony. As you said the iron isn't a great place to build a city, I can see why you wouldn't want to expend a settler there early in the game. BTW, I like most of your planned city sites although others tend to like cities closer together.
Old September 17, 2003, 22:20   #100
G'Kar
Prince

For me it came down to Master Zen and Theseus. The tactical situation on the ground looks good for both. MZ is farther ahead in tech but Theseus could quickly catch up after contact with carthage.

My vote: Master Zen , after MZ builds the next wave of cities I think he will have the best base with which to strike out at the neighbors.
Old September 17, 2003, 23:20   #101
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Hah, not so easy to choose is it?
Old September 18, 2003, 00:00   #102
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 01:38
Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
See now that's why I created the game. I have to remain impartial (in case I have to break a tie later on) so right now I don't have to make decisions between all the great DARs.
Old September 18, 2003, 00:07   #103
charlie_six
Settler

Local Time: 08:38
I like Theseus's map. Then again I could be just a victim of his propoganda speech: "WE"RE GOING MOUNTED!"

...warm fuzzy dreams of horsemen stopping the japan settlements cold and forcing an exile in the NW part of the continent.....
Old September 18, 2003, 00:13   #104
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

I have updated the first post with the current voting for the teams. I will keep the post updated throughout the day. The deadline for voting is 23:59 EST Thursday night. Please have all your votes cast by then.
Old September 18, 2003, 00:14   #105
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Hardest thing IMO is that some games have more hidden potential that they appear. I think the best thing is to actually download the saves and test them yourself and choose the one that just "feels right".

My suggestion therefore is when you write your DARs to include not only what you did but what you plan on doing. That way people will understand the logic of your decisions much better.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old September 18, 2003, 00:16   #106
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Master Zen

Hardest thing IMO is that some games have more hidden potential that they appear. I think the best thing is to actually download the saves and test them yourself and choose the one that just "feels right".

My suggestion therefore is when you write your DARs to include not only what you did but what you plan on doing. That way people will understand the logic of your decisions much better.
An excellent way of writing a DAR. I tried to do that in AU209 until an untimely Sipahi rush ruined my plans (and my game).
Old September 18, 2003, 00:40   #107
charlie_six
Settler

I agree MZ, for the opportunists, I tried reading em and getting a picture, but I always had naggings, and downloaded and looked at each one
Old September 18, 2003, 01:42   #108
vmxa1
Deity

Yes I downloaded them all as you probably know. It was the only way I felt I could be fair, but it was still hard as I lacked their vision and perspective and probably their skills. By that I do not mean one is better or worse, but just different. They may in fact be better, but are at least different.
Take yours, you explained your plan and I think will be great and I have no doubt you can execute it. My problem is I have no useful experience with the concept to make a valid evaluation of it. Other than I have read many of your games and I know you know what you are doing. So in the end I had to pick one, can we just draw straws?
Old September 18, 2003, 15:47   #109
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

OK, I finally figured out that I'm supposed to vote here!

Arsenal and charlie_six mined some plains/cattle and lost out on growth. Sure, domination is the goal, but you still need a good population base to pump out those units. Beta has not yet built his Granary, and that hurts him for the same reasons. Still all these guys did quite well, despite their slow growth.

Kon's game is strong. He has expanded well, although he could use some more workers. Investing shields towards the Colossus in a domination game is not a good move, IMHO. Fortunately, it's early and that can be corrected.

Similarly, Taian got off to a great start, although he still has no barracks. Also, his city spacing is a bit too loose for my taste, and Medina is out of the 4-ring.

Theseus' game is very good. His aggressive plans are already showing, as usual. The Temples will help avoid flips, but they are not as urgent at Monarch, IMHO. Also, building a Temple in the capital makes a palace jump less efficient. His city placement is not strict RCP, so he's not taking full advantage of the corruption reduction. Another thing that bothers me about Theseus' game is that he already has Horseback Riding, which will slow his mounted buildup.

I like MZ's tight city ring spacing, and he's in a good position for a mini archer rush. He does not have Horseback riding yet, so a massive chariot upgrade (to either horsemen or Ansars) is still possible. In his place, I would be slowing down the tech rate, researching Polytheism at min science instead of Writing, saving money for an upgrade. I would also have liked to see more than one worker.

This is a close call, but I vote for Master Zen, just because if I were to continue playing from his save, I would be able follow a more flexible strategy. Archer rush, chariot upgrade, palace jump, RCP-2, are all very good options and they are still alive.

Last edited by alexman; September 18, 2003 at 15:55.
Old September 18, 2003, 22:56   #110
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

I'm going to have to put my vote in for MZ. I think the tight spacing will really pay off in the near future, and will serve as a good base for future *ahem* expansion.
Old September 19, 2003, 00:01   #111
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Temples for happiness; palace jump not intended, HBR sooner IS better...

Can I remind you all that the theme here is domination?

I am more than happy with MZ's game too, but I am ready to KICK ASS AND TAKE NAMES!!
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old September 19, 2003, 00:08   #112
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

The voting for the first turn block is finished and Master Zen is the choice. Congratulations Master Zen. The second turn block will be posted in a new DAR thread. Everyone will have 4 days to complete the second turn block. That means the DARs will need to be posted by 23:59 EST Monday the 22nd.
Old September 19, 2003, 00:24   #113
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Wow, a true honor to have my save chosen, trust me you won't be dissapointed with those camps! (maybe I can get some converts to the camp strategy in the process...)

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old September 19, 2003, 00:27   #114
Theseus
Emperor

Cool, let's rock!! Good job, MZ!

Old September 19, 2003, 00:34   #115
vmxa1
Deity

Good job by all of you and especially Rhothaerill. I did want to see the camps in action. But I also wanted to see the horses in action.
Old September 19, 2003, 00:52   #116
Theseus
Emperor

You will.

Old September 19, 2003, 01:54   #117
charlie_six
Settler

Hail Master Zen!

May your Wisdom cut a swath to Victory!
Old September 19, 2003, 02:12   #118
Master Zen
Deity

Quote:
Good job by all of you and especially Rhothaerill. I did want to see the camps in action. But I also wanted to see the horses in action.
oh you'll see both... muahahahahaha....

Old September 19, 2003, 04:57   #119
Tarquinius
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 09:38
Congrats Master Zen, I knew this was going to be a close call! Now Domination Team, wipe out America and Japan by archers (or what else is available )