He was one of the first country rebels.
Old September 13, 2003, 00:08   #32
Joseph
King

Local Time: 01:38
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Seeker
Aw, why'd he have to die. There's so many people more deserving of death than Johnny.
Don't worry, they to will died someday.

I don't ever remember not liking any of his songs. He will be missed.
Old September 13, 2003, 01:13   #33
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Local Time: 04:38
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnT
You know, I used to think it was silly (or worse) when people would rush out and buy stuff just because the artist died. But now I'm off to the record store to find some Zevon and some Cash.

Go figure.
You're got company; I own several CDs from each of them, but that's my impulse too. Alas, it's a hard desire to fulfill in Turkey.
Old September 13, 2003, 01:15   #34
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 08:38
Now to sound ignorant, however...

Who's Johnny Cash?!
Old September 13, 2003, 01:38   #35
The Templar
Prince

Local Time: 03:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar

Who's Johnny Cash?!

The first punk rocker.
Old September 13, 2003, 01:42   #36
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar

Who's Johnny Cash?!
This New York Times Obituary gives a fairly extensive answer to that.

Basically, though: Cash was a legendary figure in American popular music. He got his start at Sun Records in the 50's, the same place that Elvis, Carl Perkins, and Jerry Lee Lewis were recording, and was an important influence on rock 'n' roll. But what he really was was one of the giants of country music -- not the crap country of today, but the titanic country of mid-century, the country of Hank Williams Sr., Patsy Cline, etc. Cash wrote songs of pain, longing, lonliness, and the difficulty of being good, and played them over basic, stripped down guitar arrangements that never sound dated. Folsum Prison Blues, Ring of Fire, and the gorgeous I Walk the Line are a few examples. He also crafted the persona of the outlaw musician, dressed in black (his nickname was The Man in Black) and singing out his anger and hurt. His recording career spanned 50 years, and recently has been recording the work of "hipper" artists (NiN, Depeche Mode) and showing them what their songs should really sound like. Arguably the only guitarist-singer-songwriter who rivals his importance in American musical history is Bob Dylan.

edited because I found a link to the Times obituary that doesn't require registration.

Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly; September 13, 2003 at 02:18.
Old September 13, 2003, 01:48   #37
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
I like his cover of Personal Jesus better than Hurt.
I find myself thinking about songs I wished Cash had recorded; Nirvanah's "All Apologies" and Tori Amos' "Crucify" lead the list.
Old September 13, 2003, 02:21   #38
Hueij
Emperor

Local Time: 10:38
So long, solitary man...

Old September 13, 2003, 02:23   #39
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

now this is terrible.

I admit I have never heard of Johnny Cash before entering the navy. But in the navy we have a uniform called Johnny Cash's (working blue uniforms).

I especially like his recent version of hurt (orginally written by Trent Reznor)
Old September 13, 2003, 02:27   #40
LoneWolf
Settler

Local Time: 02:38
There are American humans who have not heard of Johnny Cash? Hard to imagine.
Old September 13, 2003, 02:39   #41
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old September 13, 2003, 02:41   #42
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by LoneWolf
There are American humans who have not heard of Johnny Cash? Hard to imagine.
And then you have people like Bustamike who thought 'Hurt' was "funny".
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old September 13, 2003, 02:43   #43
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Hurt was great, you could feel the pain in that song.

I used to always wear all black. I think I might go back to wearing all black as a tribute to Johnny Cash. I may have not got into his music when I was younger, but he was a joy to dicover later in my life.
Old September 13, 2003, 03:37   #44
Imran Siddiqui
staff

We should have Johnny Cash impersonators out there in LV. You can be the first, Diss .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old September 14, 2003, 01:23   #45
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

We had a children's record with a few songs I still remember and wish I had today. One was Carly Simon and her sister (who sings opera) singing "Winkin, Blinkin, and Nod" and another is Cash singing "Lonesome Valley."

Years later I thought it strange that such a deep song was on a kids' record…
Old September 14, 2003, 03:46   #46
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 00:38
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
And then you have people like Bustamike who thought 'Hurt' was "funny".
I admire Johnny Cash for what he meant to music, but goddamnit, anyone with an ear can hear how he butchered great songs with his awful covers. Hurt doesn't happen to be one of them, though I do like the original better. HOWEVER, his renditions of Rusty Cage by Soundgarden and In My Life by The Beatles are two of the absolute worst covers I have ever heard.

I like some Cash stuff, especially the older stuff like Boy Named Sue and Ring of Fire, but regardless of how many times you fools say everything he did was pure gold I'll still find it funny because it is so bad. For exactly the same reason I find the new Metallica funny... cause it's so bad.

So... old Cash = good, newer "I'll just cover stuff" Cash = hit or miss but mostly miss. Roll your eyes all you want. Doesn't change a thing.

Regardless of any of that, he was a great musician and we will miss him. R.I.P. Cash.
Old September 14, 2003, 03:51   #47
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 08:38
Quote:
Originally posted by The Templar

The first punk rocker.
Pardon me.
Old September 14, 2003, 03:57   #48
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
I admire Johnny Cash for what he meant to music, but goddamnit, anyone with an ear can hear how he butchered great songs with his awful covers. Hurt doesn't happen to be one of them, though I do like the original better. HOWEVER, his renditions of Rusty Cage by Soundgarden and In My Life by The Beatles are two of the absolute worst covers I have ever heard.
You have a total lack of hearing .

And YES, you DID laugh at his cover of 'Hurt'. Don't back out of it now, now that everyone loves it and MTV nominated it for awards and everything.

Btw, his covers are amazing. 'Rusty Cage' is one of the best covers I've ever heard. He can take any song in the world and make it amazing.
Old September 14, 2003, 04:08   #49
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Local Time: 09:38
Quote:
Originally posted by BustaMike

In the case of "Rusty Cage" it was proof of the old adage "You can't make a silk purse out of a pig's ear."
Old September 14, 2003, 04:19   #50
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 00:38
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
You have a total lack of hearing .

And YES, you DID laugh at his cover of 'Hurt'. Don't back out of it now, now that everyone loves it and MTV nominated it for awards and everything.

Btw, his covers are amazing. 'Rusty Cage' is one of the best covers I've ever heard. He can take any song in the world and make it amazing.
I'm not backing out. I'll definitely admit to laughing at all of it. I just meant that some of his covers are better/worse than others. There really can be no resolution here. You won't be able to convince me that this stuff is any good, and I know I won't be able to convince you... but it's still bad .
Old September 14, 2003, 04:21   #51
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Yes, so bad that it was nominated for MTV AWARDS! MTV!! Jeez, it was so popular that MTV couldn't do what it does with every other older or country artist and ignore it. It HAD to nominate it .

When a country singer is so good he gets nominated for an MTV music award, then it can't be bad, and those that think it is simply have no hearing left .
Old September 14, 2003, 04:44   #52
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

He doesn't like new Metallica. He must have questionable tastes . New Metallica rocks!.
Old September 14, 2003, 06:41   #53
Hueij
Emperor

Imran, although I totally disagree with BustaMike, I am wondering what the MTV awards have to do with good music?