Old September 13, 2003, 09:22   #1
Jac de Molay
Prince

Local Time: 08:41
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Why do I s*ck at chess?
Aside from my weekly Civ and Smac, I've started to play some Chess at Yahoo. And I've come to realize that, well, I suck...badly.

I'm getting smacked down by the lowest ranking members in the beginner rooms. And when I'm not getting creamed, they're telling me to hurry up because I take too long to think about and make moves.

I love the game, and my openings are decent. But after about the fourth or fifth turn, it's like a fog descends over the board and I carelessly lose important pieces.

- Can anyone offer simple, easy to follow advice to succeed after the opening?

-Can anyone point me to good websites or books that offer such easy-to-follow advice?

- Is there any sites where I can practice against a computer opponent and take my time?

Thanks in advance,
Jac.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old September 13, 2003, 09:57   #2
SnowFire
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:41
This isn't what you want to hear, probably, but the best thing to do is play with a better, patient player. Play casually, where you cheerfully discuss the best moves for both sides, and allow take backs after you hang your queen or something. Listen to why the good player says that your suggested moves for him are faulty, or the obvious threat of his that you're missing when thinking out loud for your position.

That, and good chess books. Unfortunately, the best one I read was printed in 1953 or thereabouts and would be practically impossible to find.

As a disclaimer, despite all that, I'm still not that wonderful. In general, I won't make moves that hang a piece within 2 moves, and I comprehend enough basic strategy and positional ideas that barring no good moves on the other person's side (or blunders on my own), I can generally take games to a King & Pawn ending by forcing enough trades (and hope that I've developed my pawns better than my opponent).
Old September 13, 2003, 12:15   #3
Nostromo
Emperor

Local Time: 04:41
Try "Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess". You can get it at the underdogs.

http://www.the-underdogs.org/
Old September 13, 2003, 13:37   #4
MJW
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 03:41
Show me one of you games.
Old September 13, 2003, 15:43   #5
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 00:41
Chess is very difficult and complicated game.It takes years of study and practice to acheive anything resembling mastery.You need countless hours of opening,middle and endgame study and play.And even then it is a struggle.There are no shortcuts really.

Having said that,the Reassess Your Chess book series by Jeremy Silman is an excellent chess learning system.

I would also advise just about anybody to take more time.Use your clock to the max.As a youngster,I was taught to sit on my hands to keep from moving too quickly.
Old September 13, 2003, 22:18   #6
geeslaka
Prince

Local Time: 01:41
You are channeling me whenever you play chess. Find a way to shut off the psychic connection.
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old September 13, 2003, 22:39   #7
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 16:41
Re: Why do I s*ck at chess?
Quote:
Originally posted by Jac de Molay
- Can anyone offer simple, easy to follow advice to succeed after the opening?
You need to look deeper. Come up with combinations that net you either material, tempo, or position. Preferably all 3. I am not sure how easy that is, though.

Actually, IMO, you don't need to memorise any openings until later. Just concentrate on the mid-game first.

Quote:
- Is there any sites where I can practice against a computer opponent and take my time?
Best play against a chess program. Chessmaster is very good.

If there is a local chess club, join. You can usually find people to teach you a trick or two.
Old September 14, 2003, 02:38   #8
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Control the middle and try to make sure your pieces are defended heavily before you move. Try not to lose your patience when you play. If your going to lose a piece, try to sacrifice it to obtain an opponent's piece. Remember, losing is just a strategy to make future wins look more brilliant.
Old September 14, 2003, 02:51   #9
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 01:41
you can't suck as bad as me.

I always have trouble looking more than a few turns ahead. I can't figure out how to do it.

I think I only do well at Civ and SMAC is because of my intimate knowledge of the rules.
Old September 14, 2003, 04:35   #10
Urban Ranger
Deity

Well, usually you don't need to look ahead more than 8-10 turns. Your opponent usually doesn't move as you envision him to
Old September 14, 2003, 07:06   #11
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 09:41
The best route for a beginner is a good book, which will make you aware of the basics. I also would pop for Silman's books, which are the best entry level guides IMO.
Old September 14, 2003, 18:09   #12
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

It takes lots of study and practice to become great. Even if you are a prodigy, you will still need to do a good deal of work to play aside the best.

That's why I gave it up. Just too time consuming.
Old September 14, 2003, 23:34   #13
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

I learned from Play Winning Chess, Winning Chess Tactics, and Winning Chess Strategies, by Yasser Seirawin. At least I think that's what his name was. Anyway, I learned pretty quickly. And I was seven when I read those.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old September 14, 2003, 23:41   #14
Harry Seldon
King

Showoff...
Old September 15, 2003, 09:45   #15
DrSpike
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaguar Warrior
I learned from Play Winning Chess, Winning Chess Tactics, and Winning Chess Strategies, by Yasser Seirawin. At least I think that's what his name was.
I think it's Yasser Seirawan.
Old September 15, 2003, 13:22   #16
Jac de Molay
Prince

Re: Re: Why do I s*ck at chess?
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger

You need to look deeper. Come up with combinations that net you either material, tempo, or position. Preferably all 3. I am not sure how easy that is, though.
Well, I 'm improving a little bit now. I picked up a chess for idiots book, and understanding material advantage has helped my game a little bit. I've won some games on Yahoo beginners now. But, I'm like Dissident, and it's hard to "see" more than two turns ahead.

Quote:
Best play against a chess program.
Chessmaster is very good.
Actually, just picked up a Chess program (Chessmate 2000?) from the bargain bin, and I'm very glad I did because I can play turns as long as I want. Played games all night saturday, and was able to beat 1100 and 1200 players.

A great game, but, damn, very very tough.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old September 15, 2003, 14:22   #17
Harry Seldon
King

Sometimes seeing ahead is a disadvantage. I assume people play like me but unfortunately not too many people are as wreckless and grandiose as I am. I'll anticipate this string of activity and suddenly on the very next turn I get checkmated.
Old September 16, 2003, 03:15   #18
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

I got those Yasser books too. Good beginner books.
Old September 16, 2003, 03:40   #19
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Re: Re: Re: Why do I s*ck at chess?
Quote:
Well, I 'm improving a little bit now. I picked up a chess for idiots book, and understanding material advantage has helped my game a little bit. I've won some games on Yahoo beginners now. But, I'm like Dissident, and it's hard to "see" more than two turns ahead.

Actually, just picked up a Chess program (Chessmate 2000?) from the bargain bin, and I'm very glad I did because I can play turns as long as I want. Played games all night saturday, and was able to beat 1100 and 1200 players.

A great game, but, damn, very very tough.
Why would anyone pay a cent for a chess program, if there's Winboard (or Xboard, for that matter) with some terrific chess engines (GnuChess 5, Crafty 19) available for free? I bet alone Crafty is better than every game from the bargain bin and at least on even with $50 commercial games.
Old September 16, 2003, 05:20   #20
DrSpike
Deity

Crafty19 is strong enough for the vast majority of players. But it just plays; some of the commercial software has many other features.
Old September 16, 2003, 07:53   #21
Pave
Call to Power Democracy GameCall to Power PBEMCall To Power SuperLeague
Prince

Local Time: 11:41
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
Why would anyone pay a cent for a chess program, if there's Winboard (or Xboard, for that matter) with some terrific chess engines (GnuChess 5, Crafty 19) available for free? I bet alone Crafty is better than every game from the bargain bin and at least on even with $50 commercial games.
I pay for chess program, because there´s no Winboard with my computer (or I´m just stupid and think it comes with Windows.

Jac, if you just can, play, play, play and play. You have to lose about 100 times before you can even dream about winning.

Atleast I have to
Old September 16, 2003, 10:27   #22
DaShi
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Harry Seldon
Sometimes seeing ahead is a disadvantage. I assume people play like me but unfortunately not too many people are as wreckless and grandiose as I am. I'll anticipate this string of activity and suddenly on the very next turn I get checkmated.
That's not what is meant by looking ahead. Yes, you try to anticipate your opponent's moves (and if you know them well enough, you can try a strategy based on that), but you need to look at all their available moves. One good technique is to look at it from their perspective. Try to see how they could penetrate your defenses, and see where their defenses are weakest.

Anyway, the best way to learn is to play as much as you can. I was so young when I started that I barely remember those days. However, I had a friend who wanted to learn to play. I was well above him at this time, but I offered to play him over and over again. He lost nearly every game, but he got better each time.

As you play you'll learn the nuasances of the game. You'll be able to push your opponent back with even taking any pieces, In fact, if you get good, you needn't worry what your opponent is doing, because you'll be controlling them.
Old September 17, 2003, 20:55   #23
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 02:41
Heya, Jac, and Dissident (and anyone else that sucks at chess ),

I was reading this here thread, and following some of the chess games around here, and found out that I suck at chess as well. So, I was thinking: maybe us n00bs should play each other? Then some of the more experienced folks could kind of dissect our games, and point out positive and negative parts, and decisions (MtG has nicely volunteered for that part already ). So, what do you all think 'bout that? I think it would be beneficial for us to learn that way...
Spore page
Old September 18, 2003, 01:47   #24
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Re: Re: Re: Re: Why do I s*ck at chess?
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph

Winboard is great, but for beginners, being able to repeat games, do opening study, or put different time constraints on the human and the computer would help a lot.
Old September 18, 2003, 03:00   #25
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike
Crafty19 is strong enough for the vast majority of players. But it just plays; some of the commercial software has many other features.
Exactly. IIRC, Chessmaster has some good features to help you learn the game.
Old September 18, 2003, 03:02   #26
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Pave
Jac, if you just can, play, play, play and play. You have to lose about 100 times before you can even dream about winning.
Yeah. Lost a few times to the Fool's Mate before I realised I better put that knight up.
Old September 18, 2003, 06:14   #27
DaShi
Emperor

Just finished reading "All the King's Horses" today. Definite chills.
Old September 18, 2003, 06:31   #28
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
Yeah. Lost a few times to the Fool's Mate before I realised I better put that knight up.
The shortest game I ever won was a 3-turner at a simultaneous seance I gave at a local summer festival in a little town in northern Germany. One of my challengers was a drunkard, who already had downed quite some beers. He sat down and said "Hey, but wizzout dirty tricks, okeee?"

I had granted everyone the right to choose the color, and he begun:

1. f4

Oh, the Bird opening, I thought. Seems to be a good player. But screw it, I counter with From's gambit

1. ... e5

He thought a while, and played

2. g3??

No, definitely not a good player, I thought. I quickly captured the pawn

2. ... exf4

He looked at the board for a moment and then recaptured it

3. gxf4??

and here the game ended

3. ... Qh4 checkmate.

He looked at me and shouted "Goddamn! Hey... chessman... I said wizzzzzzout dirty tricks... no dirty tricks I said."
Old September 24, 2003, 03:34   #29
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Yeeeee-ha!

Speaking of Winboard and GNUChess, I just kicked it's ass twice in a row as white in closed Sicilians.

Won on time the first time, a pawn up and threatening mate or additional material at move 40, and won in a long endgame (70+ moves) that reverted to a pawn ending with me two pawns up.
Old September 24, 2003, 09:59   #30
Harry Seldon
King

I was playing WinBoard and trying to walk though some formations against the engine but it seems to anticipate this and kills me. I had a wonderfully humiliating game this weekend where it demolished me with its queen early into the game. The clock was making me nervous; is there some way to turn this off? What does capture the flag mean?