Old May 5, 2000, 15:10   #1
Stefan Härtel
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 06:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
To: Capt. Nemo
I thought about sending you this via eMail, but I think that the people here should read this too.

Capt. Nemo, your fans are overreacting. No offense is meant to anyone here, but I think this should be said.

Capt. Nemo has my deep respect. But he is not my "idol", "messiah" or "primary deity" or whatever else people think of him.

This should make it clear:

quote:

ALL HAIL CAPTAIN NEMO, LORD OF THE SCENARIO!

All Hail Captain Nemo -> Hail Captain Nemo
German: Heil Captain Nemo
Compare: Heil Hitler

Doesen't seem to different, does it?

What I mean to say is, that Capt. Nemo, your fans are emerging to followers. It isn't your fault, nor the fault of your scenarios. All I want to say here is that you should try to make the people calm down, tell them you're not a god and not the Lord or whatever else they think of you.
I mean, some people seem to think that you're suprerior, greater and so on. I doubt that this is what you wanted.

Now for something different:
I haven't noted this before, but I think it's about time.
Further, Red Front and 1294 Day threads posted by others are getting overhand: 6 currently active Red Front&2194 days threads not begun by Capt. Nemo, excluding this one.
Suggestion: WW2 scenario thread
Other/Better suggestion: WW2 scenario site

Please, keep making scenarios, WW2 scenarios, whatever, but tell the people where the limit is.

------------------
Follow the masses!
30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Our survival is based on continouus changing.
-Mao Tse-Tung
God might have created us as equals, but democracy and science pretty
much screwed that whole idea..
-Onepaul

Visit my Homepage at: http://members.xoom.com/SHaertel/Index.html
Old May 5, 2000, 15:50   #2
Panda
Prince

Local Time: 05:57
Are you kidding? You'd actually send that in an e-mail? If you sent that to me I'd tell you to take a running jump.

Number one: Captain Nemo is not responsible for what other people say. He is not responsible for threads that other people start. If it's getting out of hand it is for the forum moderators to take action, not Captain Nemo. And certainly not you, and definately not in such a public outburst.

Number two: Red Front has been the most successful example of tactical wargaming in Civilization 2, and obviously appeals to people who like war-games rather than empire building. In that respect it has also been one of the most detailed and well-researched scenarios, very well conceived and designed.

Number three: Captain Nemo has very obviously spent a lot of his time making this scenario for the enjoyment of others. The heartwarming public response to this must be a very gratifying reward. I'm sure we other designers would also wish to experience such a reaction, but in that absence I wouldn't wish to deprive anyone else. I'm very proud for Captain Nemo and freely acknowledge the quality of his scenarios (even if 2194 days was just a graphics patch of Axis and Allies).

Number four:
quote:

All I want to say here is that you should try to make the people calm down, tell them you're not a god and not the Lord or whatever else they think of you.

Doesn't that remind you of anything?

Captain Nemo: "I'm not the messiah!"
silence
Adoring fan: "Only the true messiah would deny his divinity"
Captain Nemo: "What?! Well what sort of chance does that give me? Alright then, I AM the messiah."
Adoring fans: "He IS the messiah! Long live Captain Nemo!"

Cracks me up just picturing it.

------------------
"The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on"
Old May 5, 2000, 16:26   #3
Stefan Härtel
King

I'm not saying that Nemo is responsible for what people say or do, but the people listen to him. I think that if Nemo agrees, and tells the people to calm down a little bit, they would do so.

Nemo deserves some praise, but I personally think he got damn enough of it. People are starting to become unfair to other designers.

quote:

Number three: Captain Nemo has very obviously spent a lot of his time
making this scenario for the enjoyment of others. The heartwarming public
response to this must be a very gratifying reward. I'm sure we other
designers would also wish to experience such a reaction, but in that
absence I wouldn't wish to deprive anyone else. I'm very proud for Captain
Nemo and freely acknowledge the quality of his scenarios (even if 2194
days was just a graphics patch of Axis and Allies).

Sure, Nemo did a tremendous job, and I wish him best of luck for the future.
Still, I think that, he's not in charge of the other people, but he's actually the only one many listen to.

Nemo: Please, this isn't meant as an offense, I'm only asking you to ask the people to get a bit fairer to others. It doesen't matter if they play nothing else, but their behaviour is damn unfair. I'm hardly postinghere at SLeague anymore! Again, you seem to be the only one who they listen to.
Old May 5, 2000, 16:40   #4
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 21:57
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Stefan: The reason that I start several threads about Red Front is that I wrote a strategy for it and I need people's response about how it works. It takes a long time to pass through several turns due to the number of units in the scenario so I can't guarantee one tactic will work under all circumstances. Sometimes I posted new findings, which I though might be of interest to other people, especially designers of scenarios. I'm just using Captain Nemo's Red Front to boost my own reputaion. It's my personal show-off and has nothing to do with Captain Nemo.

Old May 5, 2000, 17:30   #5
Stefan Härtel
King

Xin Yu (and everyone else): OK, I'm sorry.
Mao (you wrote that, didn't you?): I'm especially sorry. I didn't mean to compare you with a nazi or so. I kinda like turned my brain off, looked at the forums and was a little annoyed to read Red Front again.

I haven't noticed, however that, talking about unfairness, I was unfair myself. I shouldn't have said what I did, and I'm sorry. Please, if you hate me now, do so, I can understand that.
Capt. Nemo: Whatever you think of me now...
I'm an *******, I admit.
This is no "Just kidding", it's an excuse for what I said, because I have realized that I did something wrong. I will do my best to be more tolerant in the next time.

*Now, how much money did I recieve to say that? *

------------------
Follow the masses!
30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Our survival is based on continouus changing.
-Mao Tse-Tung
God might have created us as equals, but democracy and science pretty
much screwed that whole idea..
-Onepaul

Visit my Homepage at: http://members.xoom.com/SHaertel/Index.html
Old May 6, 2000, 11:41   #6
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 01:57
Yeah, I think I wrote that. Following Nemo as the Messiah? Are you crazy? It's a game! I, for one, still remember that
Old May 6, 2000, 13:29   #7
Fast_Eddie

I think I'm still the one person who hasn't gotten past August 41 cos it got too boring.

------------------
Administrator at
www.quantum9.com
Visit the forums!
www.quantum9.com/forums