Old September 14, 2003, 01:06   #1
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 16:43
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Ripped off by internet retailer? What should I do?
I need advice about how to deal with an internet retailer that may have ripped me off.

I order goalie pads from an Internet retailer. The pads arrived yesterday and there were three problems:
1) I was charged US$100 for shipping, but the shipping bill on the box said it cost US$64 to ship it.
2) The pads did not have a thigh protector, a small peice of padding that is tied onto the pads.
3) The pads have cloth straps with plastic click-in buckles instead of leather straps with metal buckles.

I called the company and they said
a) they'll look into the shipping costs
b) Thigh protectors are optional
c) leather straps are optional

The company's website did not list a full description of the pads and the web page for the pads is no longer on the site. They were a discontinued model so maybe the pads are sold out. Other websites list the pads as having thigh protectors and photos show the pads appear to have leather straps.

I did get a good price on the pads: US$299 compared to other websites that sell them for $550 - $600. Buying the thigh protectors and leather straps will cost about $175.

So what should I do? How does a consumer fight back against internet retailers?
Old September 14, 2003, 01:08   #2
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 02:43
If they took down the page, see if you can get a Google cache of it. Dunno what it will do other than enhance or deny your suspicions, though.
Old September 14, 2003, 01:09   #3
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Do they have a brick-and-mortar outlet?
Old September 14, 2003, 01:11   #4
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

If they never specifically said what they sold, you're probably screwed. Unless (and I don't know about goalie pads) ALL pads come with a thigh protector (like all cars come with a seat) etc. then I don't know how you can recoup any of your money.
Old September 14, 2003, 01:17   #5
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Buyer beware. If the price is too good, maybe you are not getting the thigh protectors and leather straps that the others are including for $250 more.
Old September 14, 2003, 01:37   #6
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 20:43
Caveat Emptor - Let the buyer beware.

If it's too good to be true, it probably is
Old September 14, 2003, 01:39   #7
Tingkai
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
Do they have a brick-and-mortar outlet?
Yes, but they're in the States.
Old September 14, 2003, 01:43   #8
Tingkai
Prince

When I was ordering them, I was worried about the whole: if it is too good to be true then it isn't.

But, these are a discontinued model so I figured that they were selling off old stock at cost. They only had one size and in one colour.
Old September 14, 2003, 02:00   #9
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Well, would it be too hard to pay for the thigh protectors and leather straps? It seems you still would have got a bargain.
Old September 14, 2003, 02:25   #10
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 04:43
Yeah, but that ain't the point, nye.

Tingkai, you'd need some confirmation you were getting the other stuff. Sucks, I know, but without that there is no proof . But if they **** you on this, get on the phone and yell at them. You know what they say about the squeaky wheel .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old September 14, 2003, 02:47   #11
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 01:43
While were at this, what's the name of this retailer so the rest of us can avoid it?
Old September 14, 2003, 03:36   #12
notyoueither
Deity

But that is the point, Imran. Too good to be true. If the price was sooo low, something had to be missing, unless he had some assurance that those things were not missing.

If they represented the pads as including the options, but shipped him the wrong stuff, then he has a reason to howl. What he has now is $300 worth of goalie pads that can be brought up to his standards for $175, which is still less than the $550 that the other companies offered them for.

caveat emptor.
Old September 14, 2003, 03:44   #13
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
caveat emptor
Unless the company promised something else than our friend Tingkai found desirable . The point is NOT that he got a bargain on his pads, the point is that he thought he'd also recieve other goods for his purchase and he did not recieve that.

If he believed he was buying something else than he got (and pads usually come with those things that are 'optional'), then 'caveat emptor' doesn't apply, and this is pure fraud.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old September 14, 2003, 03:46   #14
notyoueither
Deity

Boo hoo. Yes it does. If they are 'options', and the retailer did not expiciltly offer them, then they are not at fault.

Kind of like not enquiring what options that steal of a deal car has when the local dealer offers it for a great price.
Old September 14, 2003, 03:52   #15
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
If they are 'options', and the retailer did not expiciltly offer them, then they are not at fault.
But Tingkai is saying that they did offer them and then changed it in the end. The website isn't there, but it seems that the pictures showed both the thigh protectors and the leather straps. If the picture showed one thing and he got another, that's fraudulent.

Furthermore, I'm less inclined to trust the company seeing as they really overcharged him for shipping.
Old September 14, 2003, 03:52   #16
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 03:43
Then it boils down to whether the pads are actually optional or not.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old September 14, 2003, 03:55   #17
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Then it boils down to whether the pads are actually optional or not.
Well if the straps and protectors are optional. From other sites, it really doesn't seem like it.

To use the car analogy, it'd be like buying a 2003 Toyota Camry for a great and finding out it has no radio or A/C. These things are standard, so someone selling a 'Camry' without those things is being fradulent if they don't tell you that it doesn't include them.
Old September 14, 2003, 03:58   #18
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
If they are 'options', and the retailer did not expiciltly offer them, then they are not at fault.
But Tingkai is saying that they did offer them and then changed it in the end. The website isn't there, but it seems that the pictures showed both the thigh protectors and the leather straps. If the picture showed one thing and he got another, that's fraudulent.

Furthermore, I'm less inclined to trust the company seeing as they really overcharged him for shipping.
That may be a point. If they pictured one thing and shipped him another, that is a case. But what did they picture, and did he save it?

As for shipping, was it shipping only or shipping and handeling that he was charged for? The actual shipping charge is not the entire story if packing and other things are considered.
Old September 14, 2003, 03:59   #19
The Mad Monk
Emperor

The fact that they arrived with cloth straps would indicate that leather is optional.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old September 14, 2003, 04:01   #20
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Tingkai
If they do, they have more to protect than just a website. So it would be easier if you complain about things.

Now, assume that they weren't intensionally ripping you off. Are these options usually included? That is, are these pads usually sold with the protectors and leather straps together?
Old September 14, 2003, 04:01   #21
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
That may be a point. If they pictured one thing and shipped him another, that is a case. But what did they picture, and did he save it?
He didn't save it, so he may not be able to do anything about it (something to REMEMBER for later, Tingkai). It seems that they showed the pads with all the 'options', but didn't inform him that they were options when he went to buy them. Also, if they were options, shouldn't have they been listed for him to buy?

Quote:
As for shipping, was it shipping only or shipping and handeling that he was charged for? The actual shipping charge is not the entire story if packing and other things are considered.
Well I've never seen a handling charge for $36 .
Old September 14, 2003, 04:02   #22
The Mad Monk
Emperor

You haven't spent enogh time on eBay.
Old September 14, 2003, 04:03   #23
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
The fact that they arrived with cloth straps would indicate that leather is optional.
Not entirely... they could have pulled the leather out, and just placed cloth ones in, so they could sell the leather straps seperately (because they could get more money doing it that way).
Old September 14, 2003, 04:04   #24
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Perhaps the manufacturer can settle that question?
Old September 14, 2003, 04:06   #25
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Perhaps the manufacturer can settle that question?
Hopefully. From Tingkai's post it seems that every other picture he's seen of the pads on the web includes these 'options'. So it looks sort of fishy.
Old September 14, 2003, 04:06   #26
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
You haven't spent enogh time on eBay.
I say it would be reasonable to have $30 handling charges for items worth several thousand dollars, including such things as insurances or even escrow services.
Old September 14, 2003, 04:07   #27
Imran Siddiqui
staff

But not on a $300 item, right, UR?
Old September 14, 2003, 04:09   #28
The Mad Monk
Emperor

I've seen some hefty charges where the shipping and insurance were listed separately -- it's another way to bump up the cost to the unaware.
Old September 14, 2003, 08:13   #29
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

I never buy from the creeps who deflate their online price but then inflate the shipping and 'handling' charges. If they're that manipulative to start with, its a risk doing business with them IMO.

If you paid by credit card you may be able to get the banks online fraud department involved (some of the bigger cards have such services) though I'm not sure what help they'll be without proof that you didnt receive what you thought you purchased.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old September 14, 2003, 09:55   #30
MattH
King

Local Time: 08:43
Quote:
Originally posted by Tingkai
Tell us where, and we'll beat your money out of their skinny hides.

If there's one thing I hate, it's cheating e-retailers.

But make very sure first, I don't want to go to F PMITA Prison for a confused Canuk