Old September 15, 2003, 14:01   #31
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 09:46
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Tell me about it Evil Knevil...I am still trying to get a decent job, instead I get crapped on by an evil pharmaceutical company...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old September 15, 2003, 14:10   #32
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 03:46
Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Either you have no idea what it's like to be poor or you are thinking of some very poor kings. I suspect, like most people who make this stupid claim, you have no clue what it's like to be poor.
You're right, Chegitz, I have no idea what it's like to have pimp my children on the streets of Calcutta to have enough bread to feed some of my family, have to drink from the same river so many others use as a toilet.

I do, however, know what it's like to live on bread and beans for weeks at a time because I haven't found work for nearly a year.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old September 15, 2003, 14:37   #33
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 02:46
while I agree that Doctor's are important, I see no need for CEOs and a lot of other completely worthless jobs

Jon Miller
Old September 15, 2003, 14:44   #34
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Lawyers JM, lawyers...we could certainly do with less of them and the issue that my location brings attention to...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old September 15, 2003, 14:51   #35
GePap
Emperor

It will be decades after the complete automation of some industries is possible (which by itself is well over a century away for most industries) that it will actually happen: in the meantime there will be rather violent clashes over jobs.

Most service jobs will take a very long time, if ever, to be automated, though how the geenral unemployeed populace would pay for these services would be a huge question.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old September 15, 2003, 14:55   #36
Caligastia
Emperor

Local Time: 04:46
Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Miller
while I agree that Doctor's are important, I see no need for CEOs and a lot of other completely worthless jobs

Jon Miller
What, do you think CEOs get paid to do nothing?

"what's your job?"

CEO - "Uh, dunno...get paid?"
Old September 15, 2003, 16:53   #37
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DaShi
Well, they thought that vacuum cleaners and washing machines would make housework slide by, but still people spend about the same amount of cleaning house, which in my personal experience seems to be about 10 minutes so I don't know what all the fuss is about.
In the case of housework time-saving devices, any woman old enough to remember the days where you had to beat your rugs in order to clean them, where you had to wash each dish individually, by hand, will most assuredly disagree with you on this statement.
Old September 15, 2003, 16:57   #38
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Either you have no idea what it's like to be poor or you are thinking of some very poor kings. I suspect, like most people who make this stupid claim, you have no clue what it's like to be poor.
And I suspect that you don't have much of an idea as to the conditions a 17th century monarch lived under. All the power and wealth in the world couldn't buy Louis XIV instantaneous communications with billions worldwide, vaccines, deoderant, and bananas in January.

Otoh, when family JohnT declared a whopping $8 grand on their 1040 in 1981, we still had access to all these things.
Old September 15, 2003, 17:10   #39
Xeones
Warlord

i think 100 years from now, "working" will be drastically different, but *people* will still be weak-minded and greedy. the rich will still be getting richer, and will still be still holding down the majority of the world's population. most people (especially the rich) just *need* to feel superior to others around them. the pecking order is too engrained in humanity and nature at large.
Old September 15, 2003, 20:17   #40
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 01:46
Quote:
In the case of housework time-saving devices, any woman old enough to remember the days where you had to beat your rugs in order to clean them, where you had to wash each dish individually, by hand, will most assuredly disagree with you on this statement.
Back then people had maybe one rug instead of wall to wall carpeting. The case here is that men prefer a better living environment over their wives having more free time.
Old September 15, 2003, 20:19   #41
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 01:46
Quote:
Originally posted by Xeones
i think 100 years from now, "working" will be drastically different, but *people* will still be weak-minded and greedy. the rich will still be getting richer, and will still be still holding down the majority of the world's population. most people (especially the rich) just *need* to feel superior to others around them. the pecking order is too engrained in humanity and nature at large.
Typical communist bull. I think YOU are the one who wants to feel superior to others. Perverted people like you should never get a hold on power.
Old September 15, 2003, 20:45   #42
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 19:46
Quote:
Originally posted by Smiley
Back then people had maybe one rug instead of wall to wall carpeting. The case here is that men prefer a better living environment over their wives having more free time.
Who said only women could clean the house?
Old September 15, 2003, 22:30   #43
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Local Time: 16:46
Diplomat, I never said high paying jobs weren't as important as low-paying jobs. They are both equally important.

Yes, there is the major problem of a vast majority of people WANTING to work. Like carpentry, electrical building, etc. Maybe they will become freelancers, and people will go to them for the "Good stuff" (this stuff would be hard to get); and all others will buy all the cheap stuff from things made by robots. Who knows what an increasing populated world will bring..

I remember watching a show about a robot that helped a guy do his job. It was a very advanced robot, it stopped when the human put his hand close by, and when the human moved away, the robot would start doing its job again, it was putting together some sort of cog-like device. It was a way to counter attack redundancy, rather than have robots take over, have them help the human on the same project.

What seems scary is the transition between people losing their jobs and robots taking over. Either it will take a very long time, or it will go very quickly. It could be destastrous if it were to go quickly, people would have to go on social welfare, but the government would have to raise the amount paid out to those people in order to allow them to continue living how and where they do.
Old September 15, 2003, 22:57   #44
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnT

And I suspect that you don't have much of an idea as to the conditions a 17th century monarch lived under. All the power and wealth in the world couldn't buy Louis XIV instantaneous communications with billions worldwide, vaccines, deoderant, and bananas in January.

Otoh, when family JohnT declared a whopping $8 grand on their 1040 in 1981, we still had access to all these things.
Yeah, but when did you have private hunting forests, mutiple palaces, an army, any woman (or man) you may wnats..any act in the state, lots of prfum, food cooked by the greatests chefs in the realm..

All in all, better to be to be Louis XIV than some poor slob today.
Old September 15, 2003, 23:02   #45
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

"Yeah, but when did you have private hunting forests..."

Don't want them.

"mutiple palaces"

Multiple palaces with no central air or heat, that are riddled with vermin.

"an army"

I'm an army of one!

"any woman (or man) you may wnats"

Got her.

"lots of prfum"

Needed because they didn't bathe and had no clue as to the germ theory of disease (or odor). No thanks!

"food cooked by the greatests chefs in the realm..."

Tainted meat only kept barely edible by the vast amounts of salt poured on it, foodstuffs that change as the season changes (bananas in January!), and a diet that would make your grandmother blanche and your doctor wealthy.

Fah! Better to be middle class today than a King in yesteryear!
Old September 15, 2003, 23:10   #46
GePap
Emperor

Please..

Quote:
Tainted meat only kept barely edible by the vast amounts of salt poured on it, foodstuffs that change as the season changes (bananas in January!), and a diet that would make your grandmother blanche and your doctor wealthy.
Tainted? with what? I am sure it was always fresh, and better some great fois gras and delectible strawberry desert than a second hand and second quality Banana.

Quote:
Don't want them.
And why would someone like Louis want TV? TV and all those things you speak o are vacarious thrills...Louis got to experience them first-hand. Who needs TV when you can summon any thinker, artist in the realm and world wide to come to you and entertain you firts hand..fine, so you have to wait, and in the meantime, you get to enjoy whatever you want to do, travel far and wide...

Maybe you cna say the life of some king in the 12th century was crap, but any monarch of the 17th century and beyond most certainly had a far more luxurious life..and you know, oyu would be lucky to live as long as Louis XIV lived, so health concerns were not as endless as you protray them.
Old September 15, 2003, 23:14   #47
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

"And why would someone like Louis want TV? TV and all those things you speak o are vacarious thrills...Louis got to experience them first-hand. Who needs TV when you can summon any thinker, artist in the realm and world wide to come to you and entertain you firts hand..fine, so you have to wait, and in the meantime, you get to enjoy whatever you want to do, travel far and wide..."

Yeah, summon them so that, maybe two months later they can show up at your doorstep, tired from the hard travel over crappy roads. Better to access them online, send an email, write a letter that can get their in two days (better roads and etc), see them on Booknotes on C-Span, etc.

"Hey, Voltaire! Come and see me!"

"Uh, sure, but it'll take me 3 weeks to travel the 200 miles to where you are. Hope I don't get attacked by bandits!"

Yup, sounds just like a charmed life.
Old September 15, 2003, 23:18   #48
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

"I am sure it was always fresh, and better some great fois gras and delectible strawberry desert than a second hand and second quality Banana."

Yup, all that fresh meat that one hunts in February. Nothing like a starved, stringy, has-eaten-bark-for-2-straight-months deer for the dinner table, that's for sure! Yum!!!
Old September 15, 2003, 23:25   #49
GePap
Emperor

So then in february they eat the pigs they have been fattening up, or the geese, ducks, whatever.

It';s a choice of convinience vs pure luxury..and luxury is more appealing..yup, I woudl prefer to wait two months in my immense palace eating luxury meals made of seasonal foods expecting some great philosopher or atists to come do my bidding than watch a rerun of survivor over a warmed up TV dinner at night in some suburban sub-division.
Old September 16, 2003, 03:09   #50
The Mad Monk
Emperor

No refrigeration, GePap, in a culture where "aging" meat was popular.

Think about it.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old September 16, 2003, 03:40   #51
C0ckney
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
Lawyers JM, lawyers...we could certainly do with less of them and the issue that my location brings attention to...
if there's one thing the world needs it's more lawyers

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton