View Poll Results: What type of topic should the debate be?
Rovers are more fun to drive than needlejets 1 5.88%
The predicted running out of fossil fuels be a disaster for our plastic dependant society 0 0%
Mindworms make tastier snacks than bunnies 0 0%
The CyCon's gorillas are better weapons of war than the Peace's psi-nuclear parrots 4 23.53%
The Hive's bees make sweeter honey than the Drone's bees 1 5.88%
The border between spam and on topic posts should be classified by intention 0 0%
A god is defined by who worships him 1 5.88%
Sex, Drugs and Rock & Roll, and their Interdependencies with Creativity and Morganic Recycling Technology. 0 0%
The Impact of Spam on Monastic Life among the Believers: IndianPoker Sect 0 0%
Success and Self Mutilation: Three case studies 1 5.88%
Cross breeding between Beserker Mech Warriors and Alpha Centauri Native Life 0 0%
Actions of the Capitalist Empire under Boosh - An Analysis 0 0%
Inbreeding should be used to remove recessive genetic flaws from gene pools 1 5.88%
What is more important, eternal youth, happiness, love, or vast riches? 1 5.88%
A spammer is made of somebody who has eternal inexorable thirsty for something other than spamming 1 5.88%
IDC: Fun topics or Serious Topics? 0 0%
Is there a United States Hegemony in the world? 1 5.88%
Is it ok to have a sole superpower? Were we better off with two? 0 0%
Nukes & deterrance: Good or bad? 0 0%
If the planet is so clever, why does it not have its own talkshow? 0 0%
Should comestic testing be allowed on mindworms? 0 0%
How I learned to stop worring and love the ____ 0 0%
The Stock Market in Game Turn Time Credits (allowing extra time for turns). 1 5.88%
Repeated Nervestapling is perfectly safe 4 23.53%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 15, 2003, 00:28   #1
Vev
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human Hive
King

Local Time: 18:46
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Interfactional Debate 1. Topic Selection
Please select what the first topic of the debate will be. Poll closes in 3 days.

Sorry for the title, changed my mind on what type the poll should be.

Last edited by Vev; September 15, 2003 at 00:56.
Old September 15, 2003, 02:58   #2
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 19:46
Before I vote, I'd like to point out a problem - debates (at least, in their usual format - if you want to make up your own, go right ahead) are about being for or against a specific proposition, so topics like:

* What is more important, eternal youth, happiness, love, or vast riches?
* Sex, Drugs and Rock & Roll, and their Interdependencies with Creativity and Morganic Recycling Technology.
* The Impact of Spam on Monastic Life among the Believers: IndianPoker Sect
* Success and Self Mutilation: Three case studies
* Cross breeding between Beserker Mech Warriors and Alpha Centauri Native Life
* Actions of the Capitalist Empire under Boosh - An Analysis

etc, etc wouldn't work very well, and several topics also have two propositions in them, which is sure to cause confusion.
Old September 15, 2003, 03:03   #3
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 08:46
I disagree. If you look up in dictionary.com, debate has the following meanings:

de·bate ( P ) Pronunciation Key (d-bt)
v. de·bat·ed, de·bat·ing, de·bates
v. intr.
To consider something; deliberate.
To engage in argument by discussing opposing points.
To engage in a formal discussion or argument. See Synonyms at discuss.
Obsolete. To fight or quarrel.

Nowhere does it say it HAS to be only two opposing theories. A debate can be a discussion of things. Obviously for mine "Actions of the Capitalst Empire nder Boosh - An analysis", one would have to put up someone who thinks the capitalist empire is a good thing and one owuld have to put up someone who thinks its bad. But other than that...I see no problem.
Old September 15, 2003, 03:05   #4
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
I disagree. If you look up in dictionary.com, debate has the following meanings:

de·bate ( P ) Pronunciation Key (d-bt)
v. de·bat·ed, de·bat·ing, de·bates
v. intr.
To consider something; deliberate.
To engage in argument by discussing opposing points.
To engage in a formal discussion or argument. See Synonyms at discuss.
Obsolete. To fight or quarrel.

Nowhere does it say it HAS to be only two opposing theories. A debate can be a discussion of things. Obviously for mine "Actions of the Capitalst Empire nder Boosh - An analysis", one would have to put up someone who thinks the capitalist empire is a good thing and one owuld have to put up someone who thinks its bad. But other than that...I see no problem.
I'm talking about FORMAL DEBATING, as I said already, and in that format, that's what you do. As I said, if you ant to make up your own format, there's nothing stopping you - but everything everybody has said about this so far led me to beleive that we weren't going to do that.
Old September 15, 2003, 03:11   #5
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

You need to speak to the person that wrote the vague topic. See the following thread.
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=96910
Old September 15, 2003, 03:17   #6
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by GeneralTacticus

I'm talking about FORMAL DEBATING, as I said already, and in that format, that's what you do. As I said, if you ant to make up your own format, there's nothing stopping you - but everything everybody has said about this so far led me to beleive that we weren't going to do that.
Please do calm yourself. I meant no ill intent. It is about 1:17 in the morning and I am very tired, and therefore did not read your post as thoroughly as I should have. I apologize.
Old September 15, 2003, 03:24   #7
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar

Please do calm yourself. I meant no ill intent. It is about 1:17 in the morning and I am very tired, and therefore did not read your post as thoroughly as I should have. I apologize.
Apology accepted. Maybe this should serve as a sign that posting at 1:17 AM while under the influence of drugs is a bad idea...
Old September 15, 2003, 11:08   #8
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Local Time: 02:46
Well for the one I submitted, What is more important, eternal youth, happiness, love, or vast riches? One of the debating teams could choose one position, say, vast riches is the most important among the four and try to defend that. Another could decide that love is actually the most important. I agree that this will make the debate more complicated for it is no longer a yes no debate. But I thought it could be fun.

Grapefruit Garden
Old September 15, 2003, 11:12   #9
Kody
ACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Of the ones that get votes we should probably do a multichoice one.
Old September 15, 2003, 16:05   #10
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Quote:
The CyCon's gorillas are better weapons of war than the Peace's psi-nuclear parrots
Those of you that have read the latest issue of 3D will realise that the CyCon don't just use the Gorilla any more. Also, it is gorilla (singular) not gorillas, as it is a specific animal. That is all

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old September 15, 2003, 17:06   #11
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Local Time: 02:46
That particular topic needs to change to
The CyCon's parrots are better weapons of war then the PEACE's parrots.

As long as they are concentrating on debating which parrots are better we can safely develop our army of crocodiles.

Grapefruit Garden
Old September 15, 2003, 17:09   #12
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

*shhh*

Let's all pretend we didn't read that, eh?

BTW, a nervestapling debate would be good.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old September 16, 2003, 01:25   #13
Vev
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human Hive
King

Okay I made a mistake my making the polls single choice. Next time, I'll put down multi-choice.