Old September 22, 2003, 16:37   #32
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Local Time: 08:47
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Wrecked a truck?
Oh yeah. You can't come to the south and not go muddin'. You're not truly muddin' until you cause massive damage to your vehicle.
Old September 22, 2003, 16:42   #33
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 04:47
Quote:
Wrecked a truck?
She is an Asian woman

*runs*
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old September 22, 2003, 16:48   #34
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Harry Seldon

Oh yeah. You can't come to the south and not go muddin'. You're not truly muddin' until you cause massive damage to your vehicle.
Ah.

/me , being a Yankee, is confused.

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old September 22, 2003, 17:49   #35
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

You guys took her mud running?

This was--I'm certain--a wedding to remember for her.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old September 23, 2003, 06:24   #36
Drake Tungsten
Deity

God, you guys already turned a sweet Japanese girl into a redneck...

Old September 23, 2003, 09:40   #37
Harry Seldon
King

She loved it and was quite the good sport about everything. When we went tubing, my dad flipped her three times at thirty miles an hour. She only let go on the third time because she hit the water so hard. I tried to do it and I got thrown the moment I went upside down and hit the water.

Arrian, do you not understand muddin or the massive damage part? As a transplanted Yankee of sorts, I can give you a quick rundown. Muddin' is taking a vehicle at high speed through mud pits and water holes with the intent of sliding out of control and covering said vehicle in mud. The massive damage comes into play because I can't think of a time that muddin' didn't involve damage to my ride, at least the really good trips.

For example, I used to have the greatest car ever made: the Volvo 740 GLE. I can guarantee that you've never really been muddin' until you've done it in a luxury sedan. After running through a field for about thirty minutes, whipping my friends off the hood and trunk and occasionally dragging them over the muddy turf, I cut a turn really sharp and slid over a sall embankment, which ripped my passenger side front tire off my car and broke both front struts. This was possibly the best muddin experience I ever had. We couldn't even jack the car all the way up to put a spare on because the ground was so soft. Good times were had by all.
Old September 23, 2003, 09:46   #38
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 17:47
Re: Help with Japanese culture
Quote:
My cousing is getting married this weekend to a girl from Japan. I know absolutely nothing about Japanese culture that I didn't learn from stereotypes and anime. I really would like to make her feel welcome to our family; does anyone have any suggestions that will keep me from making a total *** out of myself?
My brother is marrying a girl from Japan. She is very nice.

Here's a sound piece of advice that has served me well.

If you want to know about what to do, just ask her or the Japanese people you are with. People from other cultures aren't so dim-witted that they don't realize that not everyone knows their way of doing things. But if you ask them about it, you receive the double benefit of finding out what to do and of appearing to be mindful of treating that person's culture with respect. For some odd reason, people really seem to like being treated this way.

If you make this small effort, you will find your mistakes are easily and quickly forgiven.
Old September 23, 2003, 10:17   #39
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Quote:
She loved it and was quite the good sport about everything. When we went tubing, my dad flipped her three times at thirty miles an hour. She only let go on the third time because she hit the water so hard. I tried to do it and I got thrown the moment I went upside down and hit the water.

Arrian, do you not understand muddin or the massive damage part? As a transplanted Yankee of sorts, I can give you a quick rundown. Muddin' is taking a vehicle at high speed through mud pits and water holes with the intent of sliding out of control and covering said vehicle in mud. The massive damage comes into play because I can't think of a time that muddin' didn't involve damage to my ride, at least the really good trips.

For example, I used to have the greatest car ever made: the Volvo 740 GLE. I can guarantee that you've never really been muddin' until you've done it in a luxury sedan. After running through a field for about thirty minutes, whipping my friends off the hood and trunk and occasionally dragging them over the muddy turf, I cut a turn really sharp and slid over a sall embankment, which ripped my passenger side front tire off my car and broke both front struts. This was possibly the best muddin experience I ever had. We couldn't even jack the car all the way up to put a spare on because the ground was so soft. Good times were had by all.
I kinda figured it was something like that.

Though I'm sure it's fun and all, how in the world could it be worth the damage to the car? That's just beyond me.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old September 23, 2003, 10:19   #40
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Though I'm sure it's fun and all, how in the world could it be worth the damage to the car? That's just beyond me.
Why do you think they have another car sitting on blocks in the front yard?
Old September 23, 2003, 11:45   #41
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
Quote:
Why do you think they have another car sitting on blocks in the front yard?
Just one?
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old September 23, 2003, 11:56   #42
Harry Seldon
King

Well, you have to fix them. It's just that a nice dent is a great conversation piece, especially when you can tie it in to reckless abandon.
Old September 23, 2003, 14:39   #43
Proteus_MST
King

Local Time: 10:47
Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
Don't blow your nose in public
Especially not, if you´re all sitting with others at the table, eating