Old September 16, 2003, 09:53   #1
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 08:49
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Looking for players for a Create-a-civ PBEM
I have been tossing around the idea of a "create-a-civ" PBEM for a couple of months now and finally decided to see if there might be some interest in it.

Create your own civ to play. Pick your two traits, UU, two starting techs (first level only), color, names etc.... (including GLs if you want).

Map size and settings to be discussed. Wether or not to actually make a UU unique (ie: two civs pick the Panzer as a UU) also can be discussed. Possibily have more (and more useful) hidden nationality units like was suggested for the Balderdash PBEM.

Right now I'm looking for some volunteers (not actually created civ, that will come once there are players). Interested?

Current Players:
Donegeal
GF
Beta
Sir Ralph
Notyoueither
Anatolia
BigFree
OPD

Out of luck:
Vel

GAME FULL

Last edited by Donegeal; September 17, 2003 at 18:47.
Old September 16, 2003, 11:12   #2
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 04:49
Donegeal,

Thanks for asking me, but I currently have too much on my plate right now to get involved in another game.

E_T
Old September 16, 2003, 12:57   #3
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 02:49
Yeah, I'm interested. Let's see who all shows up..........

I'm thinking of the English, rename the Man O War to Frigateer, rename civ to Brotherhood of the Coast. Industrious and Militant traits..................
Old September 16, 2003, 14:42   #4
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 09:49
Thanks for invitation. I will think about it. I didn't want to start a new PtW PBEM anymore due to the close arrival of Conquests, but my other games are so effin' slow, that I may break this rule.
Old September 16, 2003, 17:13   #5
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Local Time: 04:49
Hmmm - sounds interesting. I'm in.

edit - oops - I posted my preferences, then read your first post. I will send to you directly Don.

Last edited by Beta; September 16, 2003 at 17:25.
Old September 16, 2003, 18:06   #6
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

I'd be interested if accel prod were to be used.
Old September 16, 2003, 18:39   #7
Donegeal
Emperor

Hmmm.... the old Acc prod thing. You'd think that I'd give that damn thing a try since it keeps coming up. It might actually prove to be useful here with the release of C3C in November (or is it December?). Additionaly, did we want to wait until then for a game like this because of the new traits and UUs coming out?
Old September 17, 2003, 02:57   #8
Harovan
staff

Ok, I'm in if accelerated production is off. Sorry, but I hate that damn thing. It's simply not right to attack somebody with cavalries in the BCs. Also, for "bean counters", Firaxis screwed the shields and food display of the halved production, what makes an efficient economy next to impossible. Guess that makes it an "either OPD or me" decision, but I can't help it.

Also, map size should be no bigger than the size according to the number of participants. Some play on large maps with 4 or 5 participants. But expanding till the industrial age just to get hopelessly corrupt cities is just as silly as having large chunks of unsettled land between the civs. That means 4 participants - tiny. 5 or 6 participants - small. 7 or 8 participants - standard.
Old September 17, 2003, 03:23   #9
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I've been wanting to play SR for a while, with something other than a classic Poly start. Bananas anyone?
Old September 17, 2003, 03:30   #10
Harovan
staff

Banana resources?

Or what do you mean with classic Poly start?
Old September 17, 2003, 04:43   #11
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
Ok, I'm in if accelerated production is off. Sorry, but I hate that damn thing. It's simply not right to attack somebody with cavalries in the BCs. Also, for "bean counters", Firaxis screwed the shields and food display of the halved production, what makes an efficient economy next to impossible. Guess that makes it an "either OPD or me" decision, but I can't help it.
I'm going to pretend you're too scared to play me.
Old September 17, 2003, 05:13   #12
Donegeal
Emperor

Sorry OPD, I'm not a fan of Acc Prod and the others arent either (appearantly). Would you be will to still participate without Acc prod as it looks like SR and NYE (as well myself, GF and Beta)?

Well, we now stand at at least 5 participants. I know that SR said he would like it to be a "Small" map with 5 or 6 players, but I would prefer a "Standard" map. I would also vote for all "random" settings (although I do like "wet").

Regarding UUs: I would have no problem if someone had the same UU as me (Two teams with the bezerker would be fine).

Regarding Hidden nationality: I LOVE this concept!!! One problem: Massive stacks of hidden nationality units. Solution: Mod whatever units we pick for this (if at all) to cost maybe double the shields (so they are so expensive to be used as a distraction rather than an actual way of fighting).

Regarding Bananas: Hmmm.... I do have a graphic that has bananas as a resourse....a possible ninth lux??? (I think that this is getting a bit out of hand, however)

Right now my preferences for my civ are:
Color: Blue-Purple (secondary Korea)
yep... thats about as far as I've gotten...
Old September 17, 2003, 05:16   #13
Donegeal
Emperor

Oops! I forgot two important things!!!

AI Civs (Not if we have early hidden nat. units. The AI wouldn't know how to use them.)

Difficulty Level (Be nice to me guys, I usually play on Regent..... )
Old September 17, 2003, 05:28   #14
marcuspeddle
Iron CiversCivilization IV PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 17:49
Can I join? I'll have to think about my designer civ but possibly something from ancient Korea or maybe just something non-historical.
Old September 17, 2003, 05:33   #15
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by donegeal
AI Civs (Not if we have early hidden nat. units. The AI wouldn't know how to use them.)
Trust me, the AI knows how to use early Hidden Nationality units VERY WELL...............
Old September 17, 2003, 05:36   #16
Harovan
staff

No AIs. That's also a must for me. AIs don't do any good in multiplayer games. They whore around techs and maps and generally favor the player who has them as neighbor, since they are weak and easily conquered, and thus imbalance the game.

Difficulty: As the majority decides. Without AI, it has only influence on happiness and barbarian behavior. It should be no less than Regent (2 citizens born content). Above that, I don't care.
Old September 17, 2003, 08:50   #17
Hot_Enamel
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 19:49
Thanks for the invite Don, but I am close to having PBEM burnout.

Looks like a great idea... but not for me just yet.

Regs
Old September 17, 2003, 09:07   #18
Donegeal
Emperor

Anatolia, sure. You are on the list. Design whatever civ you want. Base it on what you think is the best combo of traits and UU, or make one that seems historicaly accurate. Mine is going to be completely fantasy (and based on what I think is best for whatever map and settings we pick).

Since we have 6 players that have commited so far, I think we can scratch the idea of AI civs. I would still like to play a "standard" map, but I only hold one vote....

With no AI, I don't much care about diff level, but agree with SR that Regent should be the lowest. Now to allow for enormous amounts of leway, as I normally don't play emperor/diety, I would rather not go any higher than Monarch (where the changes on happiness would affect me by forcing me to change my normal stragety).

And again, please sound off about map settings (random), if you want UUs (no preferance) to truly be unique and the possibility of hidden nationality units ( ). Also speak up if there are any other points you'd like looked at.
Old September 17, 2003, 09:49   #19
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

I would prefer no accelerated production. The techs move fast enough with multiple human players and OPD is already on track to obliterate me in the Power Block PBEM..............

Map settings:
WET WET WET WET
Old September 17, 2003, 10:20   #20
Harovan
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by OPD
I'm going to pretend you're too scared to play me.
Since accelerated production didn't find many friends, at this time I seem to be in and you out. So who is now scared to play whom? Now get over your rush...rush...rush attitude, join the damn game at normal speed and have your revenge. I will call you pu$$y if you don't.

Ghengis: NORMAL, NORMAL, NORMAL (or it will be a grassland and jungle-fest)
Old September 17, 2003, 10:57   #21
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 01:49
This sounds very interesting. I hope that if I join this game I won't find it taking weeks between turns. Are we to keep our UU and start techs secret? Who's going to set the game up?

Sign me up.
Old September 17, 2003, 11:19   #22
Donegeal
Emperor

Oooo!!! I never thought of keeping UU's secret....

You and MZ have been talking way too much....

I guess since I was the one who started this thread, I figured I'd set it up. But if we keep our UUs, starting techs and traits secret, then we would need to find someone else to set up the game...

nye, SR... you think Arrian or Theseus would be willing? Maybe Uno if he has time?

OPD.... there are 7 members in already. We all know that the max is eight! Don't be a coward!
Old September 17, 2003, 12:28   #23
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by BigFree
Are we to keep our UU and start techs secret?
I like this idea too.

Maybe we could each pick more than one UU, say choose two traits, two starting techs and 2-3 UUs.

One of your UUs can have Hidden Nationality.
Old September 17, 2003, 17:45   #24
Donegeal
Emperor

Extra UUs and a hidden nat UU I think is getting to far removed from a normal game (similar to the banana resourse).
Old September 17, 2003, 18:20   #25
OPD
King

As Marty McFly once said

"no body calls me chicken"

count me in

you guys are all fast players, I think so maybe we can get somewhere before Christmas
Old September 17, 2003, 18:51   #26
Harovan
staff

Ah, excellent.

One unhidden UU is enough, I think, but YMMV.
Old September 17, 2003, 18:59   #27
Donegeal
Emperor

Chicken? I never heard anyone call you a chicken. Maybe a pu$$y or a coward, but never a chicken! (Besides, who would want ANYTHING to do with a chicken ?)

Game is now full. We need to work on play order to make it go the fastest. I am GMT -6, but I work third shift. my best playtimes are 1345 GMT to 0400 GMT (I will have to sleep in there some time, but I can get up, play and go back to bed...)

I think we also should discuss (or vote) on the matter of consealing our traits/UU/starting tech before we move on. I am all for it, so is GF and BF is the one who suggested it. I guess thats three votes for already.

Yes OPD, I think we are all reasonably fast (although I don't know Anatolia very well at all). Maybe start with three settlers and three workers to speed things along?
Old September 17, 2003, 22:04   #28
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Damn too late!

Great idea though, good luck to all!

btw, if anyone plans to start a new game of this nature once Conquests starts, count me in, I'd love to play with the "Latinamericans" as com/agr and with a *certain unit I'm not allowed to mention* as UU

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old September 18, 2003, 02:07   #29
marcuspeddle
Iron CiversCivilization IV PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 17:49
I'm GMT +9 according to the little note on this page. On the weekends I can play almost any time of the day but on the weekdays I can only play during work hours.
With 8 players I think a standard map is fine.]
How about each player having one UU (not hidden) and a hidden nationality standard unit of his choice? Is it possible to set up different hidden nationality units for each civ?
I vote for no acc. production.
Should I send my civ preferences to you by e-mail donegeal?
My e-mail is euphrates at kornet dot net.
Old September 18, 2003, 02:28   #30
Donegeal
Emperor

Umm... I think we are still discussing wether or not to keep our civs qualities (traits/UU/start tech) secret. I am a little worried that a "secrete" UU is being confused with "hidden" UU. Just to clear things up, hidden means that we won't know which civ the unit comes from. Secret means that the other teams won't know what each civs UU is until they see one or is told which one they have. Knowing a civs UU allows you to prepare for it ahead of time (like with Persia. You can expect a player to build massive amounts of warriors to upgrade to Immortals because you know what the UU is.).

When I talk about a hidden unit, I mean like taking a (like the balderdash PBEM) Numedian Merc and making it so everybody can build it, but no one knows who built it. One per Age I think.
Ancient: Numedian Merc or Immortal (as long as these aren't picked as someones UU)
Mideval: War Elephants
Industrial: