Old September 16, 2003, 20:27   #1
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 01:51
Local Date: November 2, 2010
China's manned space flight program.
The Chinese government has announced that they will launch a manned Shenzhou 5 rocket by the end of the year. The Chinese media is saying that the launch of a Chinese rocket will "symbolize China's significant breakthrough in space flight and aerospace business". While I applaud China for building a manned space flight mission I really don't see who this is anything more then a giant pissing context because they're just doing what the Soviets and Americans did 50 years ago. Also it's perfectly clear the EU and Japan could have had manned space programs decades ago if they wanted to but the truth is there is very little money to be made in such a program so they haven't bothered.

The main issue for the Chinese seems to be soothing their bruised egos about being a second rate power for most of the last millenium. Wouldn't the money be better spent by providing water and power to the hundreds of millions of Chinese peasants who make less then $200 per year?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3112322.stm
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old September 16, 2003, 20:31   #2
Oerdin
Deity

Also the Shenzhou 5 seems to be little more then a Chinese built copy of the Russian Soyuz rocket. Also two Chinese born American citizens have already flowen in Space as part of the American space program so wouldn't this mystery pilot the Chinese are throwing up into space be the 3rd Chinaman in space?
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old September 16, 2003, 20:38   #3
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 04:51
I agree that the money could be better spent elsewhere, but the propaganda of putting a man on the moon (or whatever) does have real value, if only to themselves. A common purpose around which to rally the country. Something to say "we have arrived from the desert."
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old September 16, 2003, 20:53   #4
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 03:51
MOST of the millineum?

China makes me feel good about USA problems.

Old September 16, 2003, 21:03   #5
Sandman
King

Local Time: 09:51
Quote:
Also it's perfectly clear the EU and Japan could have had manned space programs decades ago if they wanted to but the truth is there is very little money to be made in such a program so they haven't bothered.
Who cares if manned space programs don't make money? The sooner we ditch the pipe-dream of making manned space flight profitable, the sooner we can colonise space.
Old September 16, 2003, 21:06   #6
iamlod
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:51
Maybe China's new program will help to further space colonization (they certainly need more places to put people), but I doubt it.
Old September 16, 2003, 21:19   #7
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

I have a feeling China will be the dominant hyper-power after the US empire falls.
Old September 16, 2003, 21:54   #8
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 19:51
Quote:
Originally posted by Sandman
Who cares if manned space programs don't make money? The sooner we ditch the pipe-dream of making manned space flight profitable, the sooner we can colonise space.
The sooner it becomes profitable, the sooner your average corp will send people into space rather than relying on the government to send people there. Make it profitable and people will go there, its as simple as that.
Old September 16, 2003, 21:59   #9
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Yes, it helps heal bruised egos. Ego is very important in Southeast Asia.
Old September 16, 2003, 22:05   #10
Sandman
King

Space colonisation is too long term for the average corp. Even space tourism requires the construction of orbital hotels which could take years. Long term colonisation, of say, Mars, would take lifetimes.

We need to stop thinking of space exploration as an economic opportunity, and start thinking of it as an imperative for the survival of our species.
Old September 16, 2003, 22:06   #11
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

we could probably get to Mars in 20 years if we put enough money into it...
Old September 16, 2003, 22:46   #12
Lonestar
inmate
King

More like 10, Sava, if we went the Mars Direct route.

Where are my Martian colonies? I was promised Martian colonies by 2000!
Old September 16, 2003, 22:47   #13
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Are you sure? I think it would take longer. Remember... we need to get them back from Mars. How do you propose to get astronauts off of Mars after they are on it. Mars' gravity is a little stronger than the Moons'. I'll compromise with you and say 15.
Old September 16, 2003, 23:01   #14
Lonestar
inmate
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
Are you sure? I think it would take longer. Remember... we need to get them back from Mars. How do you propose to get astronauts off of Mars after they are on it. Mars' gravity is a little stronger than the Moons'. I'll compromise with you and say 15.
Ten. Using Technology we already have. We don't even need any "Battlestar Galactica" ships, just a couple of super-heavy boosters.
Old September 16, 2003, 23:05   #15
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
I have a feeling China will be the dominant hyper-power after the US empire falls.
My great great great great great great great great great great great great great grandchildren tremble with fear...
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old September 17, 2003, 01:29   #16
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

I can see the Chinese setting a target of making the first manned landing on Mars. Such a boast would likely get a US-China space race going.
Old September 17, 2003, 01:33   #17
DaShi
Emperor

Actually, it is unlikely that China will be the number one superpower. They can't compete, they can only keep up. But, even worse for them is that their population is choking the country. After spending some time in China, you don't worry about them becoming a major super power like the US. But it makes them feel good, if you say that they will.
Old September 17, 2003, 01:45   #18
Oerdin
Deity

It is conceivable that the Chinese could become a Super Power but to do so they'd have to keep their house in order and not have any of the great violent up heavels which has characterized the last 200 years of China's history. They'll also need to find a way to prevent the country from doing a USSR style break up which is actually quite likely if the central authority ever breaks down again. The Manchu, Tibet, and the muslim east are all likely candidates for independence if China ever has a major political upheavel like the Soviets had.

Also if the Chinese want to get their per capita income up to1st world standards then they simply must have a century or so of peace and economic progress. Can China maintain growth for that long? I'm not sure but even if they only maintain it for 25 years then they'll still be the largest economy in the world. Of course it will be a large economy where most people still have an appaling standard of living compared to the west but still.
Old September 17, 2003, 01:50   #19
Oerdin
Deity

China has a per capita income of around $800 but the coastal cities have most of it and the vaste interior has crushing poverty. Compare that to the US's per capita income which is around $40,000 per year and you'll see why even if China maintains a 5% higher growth rate it will be a long time before the Chinese catch up.

Will China be able to maintain a 5% higher growth rate then the US? It will be harder and harder since when you start from next to nothing it's easy to get dramatic growth but once you have alot it becomes ever harder to maintain high percentage growth.
Old September 17, 2003, 03:20   #20
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

The growth rate can continue at 5%, maybe not in the coast, but as infrastructure moves inland, growth can take place there also.
Old September 17, 2003, 04:00   #21
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Right, which is a lot to do with why China does not want a Korean war. They know that if a Korean war happens it will probaly hurt EVERY econonmy, especially if they get involved.

They can become a superpower. But they must go about VERY carefully. And if theres any luck, they'll be nice and democratic.
Old September 17, 2003, 04:05   #22
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
The main issue for the Chinese seems to be soothing their bruised egos about being a second rate power for most of the last millenium.
I think you'll find that this is a major reason behind most of China's decisions.
Old September 17, 2003, 05:45   #23
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 16:51
Well, this is obviously part of a sneaky Chinese plot to take over the world! They must be stopped! First they put a man into space, next they'll be putting soldiers in the backyards of America! It's time for Americans to wake up and smell the coffee. The Chinese are coming, the Chinese are coming, the Chinese are coming (and that's why there's so many of them).
Old September 17, 2003, 06:47   #24
Flandrien
Civilization III PBEMIron Civers
King

China has to be able to send men into space, if they want to be a full partner in the International Space Station project.
Old September 17, 2003, 08:02   #25
Q Classic
Emperor

i'm all for china sending men up to space. why? because it's cool, no matter who does it.
Old September 17, 2003, 08:35   #26
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

I say we blow the thing out of the sky. Space is ours, you dirty communists.
Old September 17, 2003, 18:51   #27
mindseye
King

Quote:
China has a per capita income of around $800 but the coastal cities have most of it and the vaste interior has crushing poverty. Compare that to the US's per capita income which is around $40,000 per year
Be careful about such comparisons. Remember the artificial currency disparity.

Examples:
* In San Francisco, a haircut (with tip) cost me about $35. In Shanghai a comparable haircut costs me $2.25.
* Dinner for one at a neighborhood restaurant is about $3.
* A liter of Qing Dao beer is about thirty cents at a supermarket.
* You can buy a new Chinese pickup truck (a small one) for about $5,000, or a Chinese jeep (copy of a Russian jeep) for a little more.
* A recent minor repair to my bicycle set me back 60 cents, including labor.
Old September 17, 2003, 18:59   #28
mindseye
King

Quote:
Uh, they (Communists) were there first.
Old September 17, 2003, 19:45   #29
iamlod
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by mindseye
Quote:
Uh, they (Communists) were there first.
Yes, but we try to keep that one on the down low...
Old September 17, 2003, 21:22   #30
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Now maybe Canada can stop sending aid to China, eh?