Old September 17, 2003, 10:33   #1
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 08:52
Local Date: November 2, 2010
My problem with HoI is that nothing seems interesting.
That's my problem with this game and why, despite loving the game, I haven't played it as much as I would of liked too... none of the countries seem interesting for me to play. All the countries either start with too much or too little, it seems. I don't want to play the UK and have to manage half the globe from the very start, and I don't want to play Denmark and be destined to do no nothing except die at the german hands.

There are not many moderate powers and the few that exist seem to be primarily on the Axis side - the easy side. Which I don't like to play on. I had fun playing Italy, but it's a cake walk with germany europe at your side. The closest things to moderate powers on the allied side is Canada, South Africa, and Australia - all way out in the middle of nowhere, miles from the action. Doesn't apeal to me.

I had fun playing France, too, but the thing about them is that either you die quick or you live and the war ends early.

The Soviet Union is always fun, of course... but extremely easy unless you handicap yourself.

I've tried Communist China, which has potential if youc an somehow win against Nat. China and still have enough left for Japan. But what the hell's the deal with that event that makes peace between Com. and Nat .China?

I'm thinking that the next two I try will either be Republican Spain or Turkey. I have a hard time imagining Turkey fighting on the same side as the allies for some reason, though. Is it possible for them to become Communist or Fascist?

What are some other fun countries that aren't too strong but have room for growth?

Do It Ourselves
General Ludd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2003, 13:02   #2
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

My problem with EU2 is that *everything* is interesting. I sometimes just like to fire up a game, not so much to play as to watch it evolve! Experiment with different priorities, building a vast, peaceful trade empire that's just swimming in money, warmongering, colonizing, financing wars and destruction of others indirectly....fantabulous stuffages!

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Velociryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2003, 13:24   #3
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Yes, but we aren't talking about EU2 here. There's not nearly as much variety in HoI, and that's the thing that stops me from really enjoying the game.

Do It Ourselves
Old September 18, 2003, 09:51   #4
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

I know....that was my recommendation...play more EU2....

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Velociryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2003, 16:37   #5
Cookie Monster
King

Local Time: 03:52
Osweld have you loaded patch 1.05c yet? Huge improvement to the Ai in HOI with this one.

I've been playing HOI since July of this year and still haven't tired of it yet. Check out Paradox's site and you will see there is plenty of discussions going on regarding HOI.

I think I understand what you mean but have you tried playing Italy or Japan? That might change your mind.

Good gaming to all.........
Old September 24, 2003, 10:08   #6
pg
Prince

off topic - cookie monster which rotk game is shi di from(i've never noticed him)? and is your avatar a pic of him? i've only played a few rotk games though because most aren't in english.
Old September 24, 2003, 10:50   #7
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Cookie Monster
Osweld have you loaded patch 1.05c yet? Huge improvement to the Ai in HOI with this one.

I've been playing HOI since July of this year and still haven't tired of it yet. Check out Paradox's site and you will see there is plenty of discussions going on regarding HOI.

I think I understand what you mean but have you tried playing Italy or Japan? That might change your mind.

Good gaming to all.........
Of course I'm playing with the latest patch, and yes, the game itself is great. I just can't seem to find interest in playing any of countries. Italy has been my favorite to play so far, but as I said, it's too easy with germany at your side. And there are not really any medium-powers on the allies ot Commitern.

I did have a fun little game as communsit china last week, though. Did pretty good but there was really no way in hell for me to survive against Japan with russia giving me the cold shoulder. (despite taking almost all of korea from Japan they started to push back quite quickly, and they had almsot finished nat. china aswell.)

Do It Ourselves
Old September 24, 2003, 11:34   #8
Cookie Monster
King

Quote:
Originally posted by pg
off topic - cookie monster which rotk game is shi di from(i've never noticed him)? and is your avatar a pic of him? i've only played a few rotk games though because most aren't in english.
pg - He's from RTKVII for PS2. He's one of the officers serving one of the southern warlords in the second scenario (sorry I can't be more precise because I'm at work). He's a mediocre officer but I enjoy trying to build up weaker generals like this. Yes my Avatar is a pic of him taken from the North American version of RTKVII for PS2.

Osweld - Well you have a point there. Once you figure out how to beat this game it loses it's challenge. It sure does seem that you're either overwhelmed with action or bored with inaction depending on what country you play. The reason why I haven't tired yet of the game is because I'm a WWII history freak.
Old September 24, 2003, 12:30   #9
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Cookie Monster
The reason why I haven't tired yet of the game is because I'm a WWII history freak.
And I think that's the reason I've tired of it so quickly. WW2 doesn't hold alot of appeal to me, and I invaribally end up thinking of HoI as a modern-day EU. (EDIT: Speaking of which, Paradox should really make a cold war era game. That'd be great. )

I should try to start thinking of it more line with WW2 again.

Do It Ourselves
Old October 2, 2003, 22:43   #10
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 01:52
Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld

Italy has been my favorite to play so far, but as I said, it's too easy with germany at your side.
Try to mix it up. In my current game, I'm playing as Italy. I've continually refused inclusion to the Axis, and any other alliances, while expanding my power by taking over any smaller country that happened to be within my reach. Once powerful enough, I declared war on Germany. Let me tell you, now things are interesting
centrifuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2003, 05:22   #11
Tamerlin
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 10:52
Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld
I should try to start thinking of it more line with WW2 again.
You should try Strategic Command: European Theatre of Operation, a very interesting turn based PC wargame covering the whole Second World War. There are already many mods and campaigns for this excellent game (a WWI mod is already available while a Cold War mod is being designed).