Old September 17, 2003, 21:51   #31
Wraith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 03:53
Local Date: November 2, 2010
--"Oh ****. I will just move to Mexico or India and get a job!"

They don't hire Americans.

In any case, the PHBs are catching on to the problems of outsourcing.

http://www.cio.com/archive/090103/money.html

Wraith
"When dealing with the insane, the best method is to pretend to be sane."
-- Hermann Hesse
Old September 17, 2003, 22:08   #32
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 00:53
Quote:
Originally posted by faded glory
Oh wait. Entertainment is being outsourced too. There making movies everywhere else but hollywood now. So I guess we will all be saying "What else can I get you with that 12 pc Extra Krispy?"
With your head start in the field, you should be able to make night shift assistant supervisor.
Old September 17, 2003, 23:28   #33
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Programmers don't have rapport with the end user in general.

Mis Novias
Old September 17, 2003, 23:51   #34
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 08:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Think how Australia feels. With such close proximity to India, our IT industry is all almost non-existant. Outsourcing has virtually taken over. The IT job market here is very poor.

**** it, I'm going to become an accountant.

Why? In the next 20 years that will all be automated too. Maybe one or two people will be able to operate an entire bank. Look at the Automated Teller phone lines.
Old September 17, 2003, 23:54   #35
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 08:53
Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

With your head start in the field, you should be able to make night shift assistant supervisor.
The sad thing about that is, I could probably make more money then what I do now + overtime

I dont have any management skills anyway. I cant even manage my checkbook.
Old September 18, 2003, 00:41   #36
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 19:53
Quote:
I cant even manage my checkbook.
See, theres still a market for accounting.
Old September 18, 2003, 00:52   #37
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

And what's your indispensible skillset?
Old September 18, 2003, 02:15   #38
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Oh, where shall I begin....

1) I own the company, so I won't be likely to outsource myself....

2) My software development work is in a specialty field where I've done lots of end user work so I have a better understanding of the end user's business requirements than anyone that could be hired off the street.

3) I've spent ten years doing the general system and software architecture and waiting for the hardware and communications infrastructure to be useful.

4) I have several component technologies that are patentable.

5) I've had senior people in the target industry and related fields look at partial demos and agree that my product is several years ahead of any potential competitor on it's data acquisition side, and that there is no competing alternative on the commercial operations side.

6) And there's more stuff beyond that, but not for public consumption. In fact, there's some stuff not even for private discussion under an NDA until the IP lawyers have done their thing.

7) If all else fails, I could fall back on a bunch of different IT positions at or close to CIO/CTO level, plus the occasional soliticitations I get in the energy field. In fact, if I was willing to relocate, there's a ton of stuff people have thrown at me.

And besides, Steverino the gas pumper and I go way back, so you're butting in on a little private jive talking.
Old September 18, 2003, 02:27   #39
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 02:53
The people at risk are code monkeys and tech support, mostly.

It really doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Old September 18, 2003, 03:36   #40
Sikander
King

Local Time: 01:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Asher

Which I'm sure makes the forum breathe a collective sigh of relief.
Old September 18, 2003, 03:37   #41
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

As they should.

It should come as no surprise really that people people with "commodity careers" can be replaced by outsourcing so easily.
Old September 18, 2003, 09:04   #42
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Good article. It's nice that some other people are also starting to see some of the possible shortcomings.

especially........
"One reason for that is the American workers' comfort level with speaking up and offering suggestions. "A good American programmer will push back and say, What you're asking for doesn't make sense, you idiot," Zupnick says. "Indian programmers have been known to say, This doesn't make sense, but this is the way the client wants it." Thus, work takes more time and money to complete. And a project that's common sense for a U.S. worker—like creating an automation system for consumer credit cards—may be a foreign concept offshore. Additionally, offshore vendors often lack developer experience (the average experience of offshore developers is six years)."
BINGO

A perfect example is some of the support work I do on projects. Since I'm a director, my billing rate is quite high. When I proposed transitioning some of my responsibilities on certain projects to lower rate programmers on my staff, the people in charge of those projects declined because they felt that in the long run, my skill and experience with the projects actually saved them money.
Old September 18, 2003, 10:23   #43
Brundlefly
Prince

Local Time: 04:53
Quote:
As they should.

It should come as no surprise really that people people with "commodity careers" can be replaced by outsourcing so easily.
Tell us about your outsource-proof career, Asher..
Old September 18, 2003, 10:36   #44
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Short of being CEO there are NO jobs that can't be outsourced.

Providing value in everything you do will reduce the chances of it happeneing
Old September 18, 2003, 10:43   #45
Brundlefly
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by rah

Providing value in everything you do will reduce the chances of it happeneing
If you work for Federal or State government, I believe your chances of being outsourced are greatly reduced (for political reasons). Of course your salary is also reduced compared to private industry...
Old September 18, 2003, 13:09   #46
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Feephi
Tell us about your outsource-proof career, Asher..
There is a difference between having an outsource-proof career and one that is far less likely to be outsourced.

I'd like to know the chances of outsourcing somebody with a CS Masters or CS Bachelors + MBA compared to somebody with a 2-year computer programming diploma from their community college.
Old September 18, 2003, 13:32   #47
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 09:53
Quote:
Originally posted by rah

A perfect example is some of the support work I do on projects. Since I'm a director, my billing rate is quite high. When I proposed transitioning some of my responsibilities on certain projects to lower rate programmers on my staff, the people in charge of those projects declined because they felt that in the long run, my skill and experience with the projects actually saved them money.
I suspect that you make this offer just to hear the expected answer.
Old September 18, 2003, 13:37   #48
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
Quote:
Oh, where shall I begin....

1) I own the company, so I won't be likely to outsource myself....

Of course, that just makes my job tougher, not easier.
Old September 18, 2003, 13:54   #49
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:

Yeah, you really need that person-to-person connection for that high paying sales position, dontcha?
Old September 18, 2003, 13:55   #50
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Quote:
There is a difference between having an outsource-proof career and one that is far less likely to be outsourced.

I'd like to know the chances of outsourcing somebody with a CS Masters or CS Bachelors + MBA compared to somebody with a 2-year computer programming diploma from their community college.
Well you never know. The less educated person will get paid less, but still retains the same set of skills that the better educated person does (speaks english, does things correctly the first time)

I can bet that in those 3.3 million jobs that have been lost, quite a few were very well educated people.
Old September 18, 2003, 14:21   #51
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Outsourcing is simply one of the trends that globalization and trans-national corporations are making more obvious.

This pattern will not change as long as there are parts of the planet where companies can go to get cheap labor, fewer environmental/health/work regulations and whatnot. For example, the article had a Bulgarian firm that touted its IT employees make, at most, $300 a month. You figure for a U.S.-based IT employee, the minimum would be $1200. That's a difference of $900; rather substantial, isn't it?

Apply this to other industries and, insofar as I'm concerned, the United States, Europe, et al., simply can't compete. Then, on top of cheap wages, throw in the fact that many other these other nations have weaker workplace and environmental regulations ... heck, if I were an unscrupulous businessman, I'd certainly make use of the cheaper resources.

All in all, it's hard for "First World" nations — with their higher labor costs and workplace/environmental rules — to compete with nations that have no such concerns. Either way, business wins and the worker/consumer pays a certain price.

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old September 18, 2003, 14:29   #52
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Quote:
Outsourcing is simply one of the trends that globalization and trans-national corporations are making more obvious.

This pattern will not change as long as there are parts of the planet where companies can go to get cheap labor, fewer environmental/health/work regulations and whatnot. For example, the article had a Bulgarian firm that touted its IT employees make, at most, $300 a month. You figure for a U.S.-based IT employee, the minimum would be $1200. That's a difference of $900; rather substantial, isn't it?

Apply this to other industries and, insofar as I'm concerned, the United States, Europe, et al., simply can't compete. Then, on top of cheap wages, throw in the fact that many other these other nations have weaker workplace and environmental regulations ... heck, if I were an unscrupulous businessman, I'd certainly make use of the cheaper resources.

All in all, it's hard for "First World" nations — with their higher labor costs and workplace/environmental rules — to compete with nations that have no such concerns. Either way, business wins and the worker/consumer pays a certain price.

Gatekeeper
And that my friends, is entirely correct. Which is why if you want to be sure to keep your job, move into the services sector. These jobs are never outsourced, because some just cant be (like tourism, (tour guides and ****)), other needs high levels of education and financial insitutes to function (banks and bankers, investment firms, stockmarkets etc)
Old September 18, 2003, 15:17   #53
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
First, I don't know where you've looked, but a 2 year programming diploma won't even get your resume looked at with the majority of employers down here.

An MSCS or BSCS + MBA without a requisite number of years of valid industry experience will get looked at, but you'll be very much expendible. BSCS degrees are a dime a dozen, and so are mediocre code jockeys with no imagination and no drive. Getting the MBA or MSCS without having put grunt time in the real world just tells me that you couldn't get a decent job so you stayed in school to delay paying back those student loans.

At best, until you work yourself up into senior level project management or architecture positions, your extra diplomas will buy you a slot on the transition team training your Indian replacement, instead of being one of the first out the door.
Old September 18, 2003, 15:26   #54
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

On a side note, what MtG said is true. When I earned my BS in journalism and geography (major/minor), I was told to get out into the real world for at least five years before even considering coming back to pursue a masters/doctorate.

Gatekeeper (who's still in the real world, 5 years, 4 months and counting ... )

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius