Old September 18, 2003, 01:49   #1
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 02:54
Local Date: November 2, 2010
New IBM ThinkPad Prototypes -- Unfold into desktops?
Screw Apple's rehashed G4 15", that thing ain't innovative, nor impressive.

Check out these prototypes IBM has been displaying, all based off of the IBM ThinkPad T40 (what I've got).

IBM continues to innovate while Apple will probably end up copying the functionality with a buzzword and claiming it their own sometime in the future.

The article: http://news.com.com/2100-1005_3-5076831.html
Quote:
IBM shows off ThinkPad prototypes
Last modified: September 15, 2003, 9:00 PM PDT
By John G. Spooner
Staff Writer, CNET News.com

IBM on Tuesday will unveil two prototype ThinkPad notebook PCs, designed to illustrate how laptops could be more comfortable for everyday use.

IBM designers, envisioning the next generation of the 10-year-old notebook ThinkPad line, have been studying how to make ThinkPads easier to use, without sacrificing important characteristics such as their performance, light weight and battery life.

"What we sought to do was to study the area of ergonomics and ease of use associated with notebook computers," said David Hill, director of PC design for IBM's personal systems group.

"Today, many people have (notebooks) as their only computer. That means that you use them in a number of different ways. So we sought to do a couple different things. Could we take the single box of a ThinkPad and fold it or unfold it in a different way?"

Notebooks are gaining in popularity with consumers and businesses, and more people use them as their primary computer. But the characteristics that draw people to notebooks, such as their small size, result in undesirable features such as fixed keyboard and screen positions, which aren't always as comfortable to use for hours on end.

IBM's ThinkPad G-series offers many characteristics similar to a desktop PC and features an angled keyboard that Big Blue said is easier to use. But the company's two prototypes take those efforts a step further.

One ThinkPad design almost metamorphoses into a mini-desktop. It opens like a clamshell, but once open, its keyboard can be detached and the height of its screen increased to a more comfortable level with a special hinge. The machine allows more options as to where to place the screen and where to locate the keyboard relative to it, IBM said.

"It enables different ergonomics for using the machine and also allows me to do something different with it," Hill said.

The second ThinkPad prototype has a special double hinge that allows the keyboard to tilt upward and slide forward for more comfortable typing. The height of the display simultaneously rises by about 3 inches. The keyboard does not detach, however.

"It can be used like a traditional ThinkPad," Hill said. "What's different, though, is it gives a choice of using it like a notebook or more like a desktop by pulling the display upward."

Manufacturers show off prototype notebooks from time to time. Intel, for instance, often touts notebook designs such as its multiple-hinged Florence tablet PC prototype. However, while new designs generate a lot of interest, new machines don't catch always catch on quickly.

IBM discontinued its ThinkPad TransNote, a product that combined an ultralight ThinkPad with a legal pad, after about a year on the market. Even the newest notebook category, the convertible tablet PC, has caught on slowly. The tablet PC, which is based on Microsoft's Windows XP Tablet PC Edition software, allows a person to open its screen, rotate it 180 degrees, and fold it back down to create a writing tablet.
To date, the worldwide market for all tablet PCs, including the convertibles, totals a few hundred thousand unit shipments per year, a tiny number compared with about 140 million units in the worldwide PC market each year, according to research firm IDC.

Still, IBM plans to show off the prototypes to customers in private meetings at this week's TechXNY, a technology trade show and conference taking place in Manhattan.

While the prototypes are not working computers, IBM could manufacture one or both of the machines if there is enough positive feedback from customers, Hill said.

The prototypes were built out of IBM's current ThinkPad T40, an Intel Pentium M-based notebook that comes with a 14.1-inch screen, a move that could simplify production of the machines in the future.
Old September 18, 2003, 03:12   #2
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Local Time: 10:54
So what? Whats new in that really? This does the same thing and more! And no need to carry around that bulky docking station

- Paul Valery

Last edited by laurentius; September 18, 2003 at 03:38.
Old September 18, 2003, 03:16   #3
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

A stand?

It does more than simply angle the keyboard. The ThinkPad Gs already have angled keyboards standard...

And just what docking station was you talking about? None of these prototypes have anything to do with a docking station...whereas you'd need to carry that ridiculous stand everywhere if you wanted it, to do far less.

You seem to be confused -- that's not the docking station in the pic, that's the laptop. The keyboards detach and the screen can be raised. In the case of the first prototype (my favorite), the keyboard is wireless and would use Bluetooth.
Old September 18, 2003, 03:22   #4
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Um, that prototype of yours doesnt look nearly as portable as this:

- Paul Valery
Old September 18, 2003, 03:24   #5
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Is this some kind of joke?
Old September 18, 2003, 03:26   #6
laurentius
King

Ok, cool but can you use that "possibly never going to see daylight"-prototype like normal laptop? Without the modules separate

- Paul Valery
Old September 18, 2003, 03:28   #7
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Did you read the article?

These designs won some awards a few months ago, and now they've in further testing and market research.

Yes, the laptops function perfectly like every other ThinkPad they've made. They also have the option of unfolding into the desktop-like configuration like those two prototypes show.
Old September 18, 2003, 03:36   #8
laurentius
King

Yes I read it. Ok, it looks intresting but if you cared to check on the article I posted you'd realise that the laptop desktop not only agles the notebook but also reduces heat and provides pad for your mouse. I for example can't live without my mouse the touchpad and the pointer stick just arent as comfortable

Here's another link

- Paul Valery
Old September 18, 2003, 03:40   #9
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

1) It doesn't reduce heat, what it does is act as an insulator so if you had it on your lap or on your desk, you'd feel less heat. This is only a problem with cheap notebooks, ThinkPad T40s do not get hot underneath (or on top) whatsoever, so this "feature" is merely compensation for cheap designs and doesn't reduce heat, just insulates so you can't tell.
2) Mouse pads are totally useless for optical mice. If you need one so badly, bring a little mousepad -- it's far cheaper and way smaller than that monstrosity.
Old September 18, 2003, 03:40   #10
Zopperoni
Age of Nations TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Reading the article is difficult when the link doesn't work.
Old September 18, 2003, 03:41   #11
laurentius
King

Zop,please try again

- Paul Valery
Old September 18, 2003, 03:42   #12
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

I had to remove an extra http:// thing for his link to work.
Old September 18, 2003, 03:49   #13
laurentius
King

1)Asher it does reduce the heat of the computer itself. http://www.systemcooling.com/modules...ticle&sid=1072
Heat is a problem with cheap notebooks? You are really funny man. It's more like the CPU and the GPU that are the problem, not the price.

2) Not all people have optical mouses. Those who have one(such as myself)still like to be able to use the mouse accurately meaning not against your thigh. No help from conventional mousepad in trains, aeroplanes, cars eg

- Paul Valery
Old September 18, 2003, 03:55   #14
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by laurentius
1)Asher it does reduce the heat of the computer itself. http://www.systemcooling.com/modules...ticle&sid=1072
Heat is a problem with cheap notebooks? You are really funny man. It's more like the CPU and the GPU that are the problem, not the price.
You don't seem to understand this very well:

It does not reduce the heat of the computer. It acts as a piece of insulation, which could reduce the apparent heat for the table or lap that it's sitting on -- but it certainly doesn't reduce the amount of heat generated.

And heat is a problem with all notebooks. The problem is, cheap notebooks and notebooks that are poorly design dissipate quite a lot of heat on the bottom (and top) of laptops. This is not an issue with T40s (what the prototypes are based on) whatsoever, all heat is properly expelled only through the vent on the left hand side.

The reason the T40's works better is a combination of high-grade heatpipes and insulation, as well as using more expensive materials.

Quote:
2) Not all people have optical mouses. They who have(such as myself)still like to be able to use the mouse accurately meaning not against your thigh. Not help from conventional mousepad in trains, aeroplanes, cars eg
If you're buying a new laptop...why can't you afford a $20 optical mouse?

Still, space available is an issue on airplanes, trains, cars, etc. And what's wrong with tray tables on airplanes & trains?
Old September 18, 2003, 04:00   #15
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Another magic device that will "reduce the heat" of the laptop are extra layers of clothing, oven mits, and textbooks. You act like that's some kind of miracle device, it lowered the temperature of the guy's lap frop 43C to 38C (which is still damn hot ) by adding another layer between him and the laptop's heat.
Old September 18, 2003, 04:09   #16
laurentius
King

You just dont seem to get it. The LD provides ventilation channels for the notebooks bottom to cool down. This means that the notebooks fan doesnt turn on so easily. So it reduces the heat of the computer itself just like any heat piping inside the comp. And it reduces the heat to your lap - yes- by providing an extra layer.

- Paul Valery
Old September 18, 2003, 04:14   #17
laurentius
King

You have T40, I have I8500. You've got P-M, i've got P4-M. This means that my CPU creates hugely more heat than yours. Add this even more extra heat created by the GF 4200 Go GPU. Try to cool this down when the CPU is running at 65 C and GPU 70, DIMMs are going at 60 and HD at 53. You'd probably need couple of peltier-elemnts and liquid gases

- Paul Valery
Old September 18, 2003, 04:18   #18
Zopperoni
Age of Nations TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

You work with a notebook on your lap?

And the link works fine now, thanks. I wouldn't buy it though, since I have a pretty good two-year-old notebook with not-so-high temperatures.
At home, I also have an external keyboard plugged into it, and a mousepad with wrist rest.
Old September 18, 2003, 04:29   #19
laurentius
King

Zop, I wish I could
With the laptop desktop I might have a chance. The shipping just seems to cost more than the product itself

- Paul Valery
Old September 18, 2003, 06:08   #20
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 01:54
I don't know anything about Apple's new lap tops. Are they really better then PC lap tops?
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old September 18, 2003, 06:10   #21
laurentius
King

Define "better"

- Paul Valery
Old September 18, 2003, 06:22   #22
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Local Time: 04:54
As somebody who currently uses a laptop as his only home computer, I've got to say that I'd buy that new ThinkPad in a heartbeat; those are exactly the features I'm missing.
Old September 18, 2003, 06:24   #23
laurentius
King

Macs? Well they certainly are more slim, beautiful and cooler looking. Probably more stable and standardised than PCs too.

On the other hand PC notebooks vary much more. Theres something for everyone. Theres notebooks with eXtremely High Definition TFT screens such as Dells I8500 with 1920*1200 resolution. Then theres notebooks with eXtremely long life batteries such as IBMs T40. Theres notebooks for gamers, industrial use, military(toughbooks, milbooks etc) that can survive direct nuke, well not quite
Anyway you just got to choose your priorities. Do you want a mobile powerhouse? Ultraportable? Low end? How much does the price matter? Care about the looks? Weight problems? Wireless connectivity?

I wanted mobile powerhouse, price didnt matter so much. No weight problems (2.7 kg), Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. I chose Dell Inspiron 8500 with 2.6 Ghz P4-M, 512 DDR, Geforce 4200 Go, 80 Gb, 15'4 1920*1200 TFT, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, DVD+R, Extra battery

Asher apparently had a little different priorities and bought IBM T40.

Hope this helps

- Paul Valery
Old September 18, 2003, 06:35   #24
Oerdin
Deity

I'm not buying a new lap top I just wanted to learn a little.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old September 18, 2003, 06:41   #25
laurentius
King

Well in that case I don't have an anwer for you. I can't really tell wich is "better" Both have their pros and cons. But in general competition often lowers prices and tunes up the quality. In Mac world there is no competition.

What do you think? Wich one seems better?

- Paul Valery
Old September 18, 2003, 06:54   #26
Oerdin
Deity

I've never owned a Mac and have next to no experience with Macs but I am very familiar with PCs. There for I'm more likely to continue buying PCs in the future. I just wanted to hear what people thought about Macs that's all.
Old September 18, 2003, 06:59   #27
laurentius
King

ok

- Paul Valery
Old September 18, 2003, 07:29   #28
Saras
Emperor

Local Time: 11:54
Nerdfest!
Old September 18, 2003, 10:17   #29
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 03:54
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
I've never owned a Mac and have next to no experience with Macs but I am very familiar with PCs. There for I'm more likely to continue buying PCs in the future. I just wanted to hear what people thought about Macs that's all.
The powerbooks are excellent computers but pricey and as laurentius says "one size fits all". I'm not familiar with the capabilities of the P4-based laptops, but IMO the G3 and G4 powerbooks were superior to the laptops of the time (at least for running the work-related software I use).
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old September 18, 2003, 13:12   #30
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by laurentius
You have T40, I have I8500. You've got P-M, i've got P4-M. This means that my CPU creates hugely more heat than yours. Add this even more extra heat created by the GF 4200 Go GPU. Try to cool this down when the CPU is running at 65 C and GPU 70, DIMMs are going at 60 and HD at 53. You'd probably need couple of peltier-elemnts and liquid gases
That's what you get for buying a desktop CPU disguised as a "mobile" device. This is what I was talking about with poorly designed laptops.