Old September 18, 2003, 12:45   #1
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 16:55
Local Date: November 2, 2010
A moral dilemma
Okay, so I've been drunking and its late so bear with me, but I've got this moral and would be interested in people's opinions.

I'm reading news stories and I come across one that says that possibly eight American soldiers were killed in an ambush. My first reaction is ahh sh!t. No matter what I think about the US government, reading about American soldiers being killed is, me being a Canadian, like hearing that a neighbour's son has died. It sucks.

But on a big political scale, if the US has an easy ride in Iraq, that will only encourage American politicians to invade other countries which will cause more death and destruction. So maybe it is better than more American soldiers die now to prevent future wars that will cause more deaths. But wanting that sounds sick because it means that more "neighbour's" sons dying which I don't want.

So what's the solution to this dilemma, or am I just so drunk that I create a false dilemma?
Old September 18, 2003, 12:47   #2
C0ckney
King

Local Time: 09:55
try drunking less

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old September 18, 2003, 12:47   #3
Solly
Emperor

It's bad news.

"But on a big political scale, if the US has an easy ride in Iraq, that will only encourage American politicians to invade other countries which will cause ... "

...more countries to become free and democratic.

So it's all bad.
Old September 18, 2003, 12:48   #4
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 08:55
No worries, they volounteered to die.

Do It Ourselves
Old September 18, 2003, 13:06   #5
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

No dilemma at all. There is a state of war, and people are dying, civilians and military. Those casualties are a direct consequence of the initial decision to go to war. The dilemma is for those who have to decide what to do next.
Old September 18, 2003, 13:10   #6
Tingkai
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by DAVOUT
No dilemma at all. There is a state of war, and people are dying, civilians and military. Those casualties are a direct consequence of the initial decision to go to war. The dilemma is for those who have to decide what to do next.
I don't know, maybe you're right, but it seems like a bit of cop out. The US is a democratic system so the people who decide are the people, and the people are part of a world community and can be influenced. you know what I mean.
Old September 18, 2003, 13:14   #7
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Re: A moral dilemma
Quote:
Originally posted by Tingkai
No matter what I think about the US government, reading about American soldiers being killed is, me being a Canadian, like hearing that a neighbour's son has died. It sucks.
The way I see it is, a US soldier's life does not value more than an Iraqi soldier's life.

It is tragic. It is also a strong condemnation of Dubya's senseless decision to go to war.
Old September 18, 2003, 13:15   #8
Tingkai
Prince

Re: Re: A moral dilemma
UR: What are you doing up so late?
Old September 18, 2003, 13:16   #9
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

Tingy: It's all your fault. Those people died because of that Matzoh ball you didn't eat last year.
Old September 18, 2003, 13:16   #10
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:

I don't know, maybe you're right, but it seems like a bit of cop out. The US is a democratic system so the people who decide are the people, and the people are part of a world community and can be influenced. you know what I mean.
The democracy gives you the power to demote the guy who do not lead as you wish, but it will not make possible to undo what he did. Frustrating, but again no better system.
Old September 18, 2003, 15:36   #11
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 04:55
With regard to Iraq, Bush led the people as they wished, however. In matters of war and peace, it is much harder to lead the American people where they don't wish to go than you might think.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old September 18, 2003, 15:38   #12
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
With regard to Iraq, Bush led the people as they wished, however.
How many people where asking to invade iraq before he mentioned it?

Do It Ourselves
Old September 18, 2003, 15:46   #13
DanS
Deity

The attack Iraq poll number was consistently about 62% from the time of the cease fire ending the first Gulf War to the opening shots of the second Gulf War. It went up to 72% and down to 58% very briefly.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old September 18, 2003, 15:53   #14
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Quote:
But on a big political scale, if the US has an easy ride in Iraq, that will only encourage American politicians to invade other countries which will cause more death and destruction. So maybe it is better than more American soldiers die now to prevent future wars that will cause more deaths. But wanting that sounds sick because it means that more "neighbour's" sons dying which I don't want.
Did it occur to you that if the U.S. has an "easy ride" in Iraq, that just might mean a good result for Iraqis? I doubt it, since IIRC, you're one of those who bought the "war for oil" line.

The thing that might trip up future military adventures is probably the dollar figure, to be honest. Lots of people who were pro-war are appalled at the $87 billion figure. Sure, I think they're morons for thinking this would be cheap, but what can I say? Add in the death toll we've already suffered (or maybe not the overall number, but rather the tempo - 1-2 guys seem to get killed every day, on average), and it's enough to give people pause.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old September 18, 2003, 15:53   #15
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
The attack Iraq poll number was consistently about 62% from the time of the cease fire ending the first Gulf War to the opening shots of the second Gulf War. It went up to 72% and down to 58% very briefly.

Half the population has been wanting another war with Iraq since the last? I thought most americans where just sheep, but I guess they're all wolves.

Do It Ourselves
Old September 18, 2003, 15:57   #16
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

There was a general concensus on "unfinished business." Many people thought the decision to stop where Bush I stopped was a mistake, in retrospect, and that Saddam would never really cooperate with the UN (which would never really make an effort to force him to) and therefore we should just take him out.

Please note that the above is a general outline, and does not reflect my views (some of it, but certainly not all), so don't bother arguing with me over it.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old September 18, 2003, 16:07   #17
Verres
Settler

Regarding your moral dilema...i can sympathise (but then I too am less than sober). Personally I would always say I valued human life above all else...but in situations like this it cannot be that black and white. I loath the idea of American soldiers dying and cannot even begin to consider the possibility that more should have been killed because then it would make the US less confident in tramping through every country they come across.

But then, if they continue to do this, it inevitably means loss of life on a far larger scale, as it will mean a large death toll in whatever country they happen to invade...so I do not really know. A pointless post..I have confused myself
Old September 18, 2003, 16:09   #18
DanS
Deity

Quote:
Half the population has been wanting another war with Iraq since the last?
Yes, sir. Much more than half. One of the most consistent poll numbers that I've seen.
Old September 18, 2003, 16:15   #19
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

Human life above all... I'm a love-motived as well as rationality motivated individual. I'm equally sad when anyone, US or Iraqi dies.

War sucks. Blame the donkeys leading the lions.
Old September 18, 2003, 16:26   #20
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:

Yes, sir. Much more than half. One of the most consistent poll numbers that I've seen.
62% isn't 'much more' than half, especially when considering the margin of error present in all polls.

Do It Ourselves
Old September 18, 2003, 16:26   #21
David Floyd
Emperor

Quote:
62% isn't 'much more' than half,
In an election, it'd be a landslide
Old September 18, 2003, 17:00   #22
Giovanni Wine
NationStatesNever Ending Stories
King

Quote:
Originally posted by elijah
Human life above all... I'm a love-motived as well as rationality motivated individual. I'm equally sad when anyone, US or Iraqi dies.

I agree

Make love not war

*Giovanni Wine imagine a scene of Saddam and Bush making love

Well... ehrrr.. maybe a shake of hands will be enough

Saluti
"If God forbade drinking, would He have made wine so good?" - Cardinal Richelieu
"In vino veritas" - Plinio il vecchio
Old September 18, 2003, 17:08   #23
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 10:55
human life above all why the us bombed
Old September 18, 2003, 22:50   #24
Urban Ranger
Deity

Re: Re: Re: A moral dilemma
Quote:
UR: What are you doing up so late?
I was going to ask you the same question.
Old September 18, 2003, 22:51   #25
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by elijah

Copycat post
Old September 18, 2003, 22:56   #26
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
In matters of war and peace, it is much harder to lead the American people where they don't wish to go than you might think.
That's such crap.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old September 19, 2003, 01:24   #27
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:55
Hope for a speedy end to the war and stabilisation in Iraq and worry about the future later.