Old May 25, 2000, 13:16   #1
Civfan
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 05:58
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Drawing units for Civ2
Looking at the units in Civ2 TOT and several units from other Civ2 artist, I wonder if they have used a strong resize application as the detail in some units are very detailed. I've tried drawing some and to a degree had some good but not great units finished. Was wondering if you guys draw in full scale and resize it later to fit the Civ2 format?
http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum4/HTML/000543.html

heres a good example.
[This message has been edited by Civfan (edited May 25, 2000).]
Old May 25, 2000, 14:33   #2
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 07:58
I draw my units directly in the units.gif, without resizing. Finally I add the details using a high zoom factor. But this needs most of the time...
However, for my next scenario, I rendered some scifi units with Maxon Cinema 4D at a size from 320x200, and resized them with PhotoPaint (they were also sharpened after resizing).
The example is really great, but if you need lots of historical units, it could be hard to find the graphics you need for resizing.
Old May 25, 2000, 16:44   #3
Hendrik the Great
Prince

Local Time: 06:58
I don't use resize options anymore to make units. I tried in the past and the results were never satisfactory. It's just easier, more fun and also faster drawing them by hand. Having a good picture besides one's computer to work from is far more convinient for me than having one my harddisc.
You only need PaintBrush to make nice units. Thats all I use and it works great.

I do however use the resize option extensivly to make improvement and wonder icons. All you need is a good picture to work with. I don't like jpg format then however because of their low resolution. I never have managed to make good anything out of a jpg unless I safed it beforehand as an bmp. But it doesn't always work.

Hope this helps.
Old May 25, 2000, 17:35   #4
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 06:58
If I`m copying graphics from another game (I`m doing a lot from Star Trek Armada recently), I use the Print Screen button, then paste the picture into Paint. I cut out the bit I want, then use the resize option to make the picture small enough to fit into the unit box.