Old September 19, 2003, 15:33   #1
Mohammed
Settler

Local Time: 08:59
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Insert CDRom!!!!!!!!!!
I've downloaded & installed a patch Civ3 v1.29f .Later on when i tried to start the game it gives the following error:-- "Please Insert The Correct CDrom In The Drive.Press OK & Restart The Application" but before the patch i was able to play the game perfectly. Currently i have Civ3 v1.07f.

Does it require some other patches or crack?

Last edited by Mohammed; September 20, 2003 at 14:04.
Old September 19, 2003, 15:46   #2
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 10:59
1. Reinstall everything
If that doesn't work contact atari support. And tell them the model of your CD-ROM drive. If the safedisk program don't handle it correctly you will most likely be offered a non safedisk version.
Old September 19, 2003, 15:53   #3
LordVipper
Chieftain

are you sure you got the correct pach? i think that if you use the american pach on the english version or vice versa it will give you this.
Old September 19, 2003, 16:37   #4
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

I don't thik there are more than one localization version to vanilla Civ3 patches.
Old September 20, 2003, 18:52   #5
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Mohammed:
Make sure you have a legal (bought) version of Civ3. Illegal copies do not work once they have been patched, because the patches change some security things. Illegal programs become clueless then.
Old September 20, 2003, 22:17   #6
vee4473
King

Local Time: 03:59
Re: Insert CDRom!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Mohammed

Does it require some other patches or crack?
of course...you need to smoke the crack

couldn't resist
Old September 21, 2003, 16:38   #7
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
Illegal programs become clueless then.
Until you crack them.

Though I don't know why anyone would ever want to pirate Civ3.
Old February 23, 2004, 09:18   #8
giskard
Settler

I have same problem with Play the World. Been playing Civ3 without any problems aftering patching to the latest PTW patch but then I noticed a US-English Civ3 patch on the fraxis site so I installed that. Then after trying to start Play the World i get that same Insert correct CD rom error mentioned above.

BTW the version of Civ I own is the Englisg Double Game Pack that includes Civ 3 and Play the World.

It is a legit version brought from my local Game store in Hull. If anybody has any doubts I can easily scan in the CD covers to prove it.

One thing did confuse me though, all previous Civ games I have owned came with a nice manual, however this double pack doesnt have any manual at all. The only manual to be found anywhere is in the game it self.

Im going to try and reinstall PTW and Civ then repatch only PTW to see what happens.

Update: Looks like Play the World works until I install the Civ3ptw127f.exe patch. Then I get the above error. Uninstalling everything and reinstalling appears to get it working again.

The way the NONE US patches are presented on the official site is slightly confusing so theres a chance i have the wrong patch.

Time for a rant about Safedisk

Also Safedisk is a truely horrible protection system to put on games because some versions set the CDrom in stone at install time. Should that Cdrom breaks and need replacing Safedisk is not smart enough to detect the change so the game refuses to work until a complete reinstall of windows has occured. Even the patches and fixes (patches for a protection system what ever next) designed to correct minor errors do not work when this happens.

Some versions of Safedisk also conflict with popular virus checkers and anti spam programs. Now I do not know about you guys but given the choice between virus and spam free computer or playing a game I know which way I will jump and have infact already jumped in the case of the now totally unplayed Mechwarrior 4 IS and Clan Packs.

Id like to see the type of copyprotection named on the box so customers who hate certain copy protection systems like Safedisk can choose not to buy a game that uses it.

I think that one addition to a games CD cover would quickly kill off all the bad copy protection systems leaving only those that do not cause problems and are not already infamous amongst players.

The thing about some versions of safedisk is they need to run server on your computer and use a pass system to allow games to work. Which to me is pure madness.

Giskard

Last edited by giskard; February 23, 2004 at 09:56.
Old February 23, 2004, 13:12   #9
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 04:59
PTW does not use Safedisc. It used SecuRom 4.84. CivIII and C3C use Safedisc.
Old February 24, 2004, 08:42   #10
giskard
Settler

That explains why PTW had problems after patching Civ3. Once I reinstalled and avoided the last patch both games worked fine. Though the last PTW patch didnt work either for some reason. im using the standard out the box 1.14f version I believe.

SecuRom is used by X2 the Threat too, not had any problems with that at all but I know some others have and its usually CDrom drive related.

I know there are fixes available from companies that use securom if a customer contacts tech support.

Giskard
Old February 24, 2004, 12:10   #11
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

I think that there are three out of the box versions of English PTW. One that work with the US ptch, one that work with the UK patch, and a later release that doesn't work with any patch.

The US PTW uses SecuRom, but I think the EU games are using Safedisk.
Old February 26, 2004, 10:03   #12
giskard
Settler

I brought the US version of X2 the threat and that used securrom too.

Securom seems to be a better system to me. I may look out for securom versions in the future when I find out safedisk is used on UK versions.

On a more positive note. PTW rocks, its a big improvement over standard Civ 3 I think. I was a little confused about PTW actually being both multiplayer and single player. The name basically indicates its a multiplayer addon which it is but having seen the single player options and how the game works I am impressed with the differences.

I played Civ 1 for about 5 years, almost every day for the first year and atleast once a weak for the rest until I sold my Miggy.

Civ2 seemed to go too far imo but Civ 3 is a return to the classic Civ I would say with improvements in areas that i think improve the game considerably.

EG resources and how they effect the game.
The remove of trade for purely cash earning benefits and its new benefit in supplying resources to make units.

I love it

Giskard
Old February 26, 2004, 10:11   #13
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 19:59
Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
Though I don't know why anyone would ever want to pirate Civ3.
To play it without buying it.