Old September 20, 2003, 16:42   #31
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 10:00
Local Date: November 2, 2010
It's even exactly the same, just instead of a rabbit our dog hunts a hare.
Old September 21, 2003, 22:53   #32
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 03:00
What if UnOrthOdOx had joined Lego?

(MegaBloks Dragons: one of the coolest damn set of blocks I've ever seen. My son has most of the set. Yes...we bought them for him No, really, we did! I just play with him as well...allot...

I would have allot of fun making Trappings, I could tell you that )
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	cole's horsie.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	53749  

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old September 21, 2003, 23:01   #33
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Sacriledge! How dare you compare the infidel Mega Blocks to Lego?!?!?
Old September 21, 2003, 23:06   #34
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

What If...

Master Zen had joined Gathering Storm?

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old September 21, 2003, 23:15   #35
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 04:00
Quote:
Originally posted by Master Zen
What If...

Your manifesto would have looked different, thats for sure. Oh also you couldn't have the avatar of "mouth of Aggie, err i mean sauron."
Aggie
Old September 22, 2003, 08:45   #36
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Local Time: 05:00
Quote:
Originally posted by Master Zen
What If...

Vox would have been attacked on turn 24.
Old September 22, 2003, 08:46   #37
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
What if UnOrthOdOx had joined Lego?

(MegaBloks Dragons: one of the coolest damn set of blocks I've ever seen. My son has most of the set. Yes...we bought them for him No, really, we did! I just play with him as well...allot...
UnO - would you adopt me please.
Old September 22, 2003, 09:03   #38
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
Sacriledge! How dare you compare the infidel Mega Blocks to Lego?!?!?
That was my first thought.

Mega Bloks Sucked royally when I was a kid. My son used his own allowance to buy the first small set of these, and well...

These things ROCK!!!

He has Star Wars Lego and Mega Bloks Dragons. Given a choice between the two I will take Mega Bloks any day!

Lego seems to have been targeting a different audience. It seems that the 'scenes', vehicles, etc are very realistic, they fall to pieces easily and seem to be meant to LOOK at, not PLAY with.

These friggin castles in Mega Blocks are tough as nails! Drop it, a piece might come off, that's it. The figures all have a metal plate inside them so that various things utilize magnets to play around with. Working Catapults, net throwers, and Ballistae just make it a riot!

A new series just came out too, adding orcs to the sets. Looks like I could make a whole Warcraft scene!

Quote:
UnO - would you adopt me please.
Best part of having kids, I tell you!

I have an excuse to PLAY again... You know, a 27 yr old playing with blocks may be strange, but I am just being a good dad and playing with my kids.

Let's just say Santa had some fun setting up the castles on christmas eve last year.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Last edited by UnOrthOdOx; September 22, 2003 at 09:46.
Old September 22, 2003, 11:12   #39
Tassadar500
Emperor

Local Time: 02:00
BURN THE INFIDEL UNO!!
Old September 22, 2003, 11:30   #40
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Beta

Vox would have been attacked on turn 24.
Probably sooner

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old September 22, 2003, 11:34   #41
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Oh, please. Try to PLAY with something made from legos, or rather try to let your 5 yr old PLAY with it. The Lego figures are better, but that's it. The creation of the vehicles and whatnot SUCK because of so many small peices.

take a look here: this boat would be 1-2 pieces for the hull, therefore the whole thing stays together better.

Lego would have likely made an intriquate network of little pieces needed for the same effect.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	untitled.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	53764  

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old September 22, 2003, 11:41   #42
Tassadar500
Emperor

Local Time: 02:00
So whats your point you infidel?
Old September 22, 2003, 11:44   #43
Master Zen
Deity

looks like a GoW ship

Old September 22, 2003, 12:34   #44
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Master
So whats your point you infidel?
Lego building blocks are getting away from being toys to play with and becomming toys to BUILD things and look at. More of a puzzle than a toy. That is my point.

I remember having one HELL of a time finding just a box of LEGOS to begin with. All they sell is sets. And those sets SUCK when you try to play with them because they tend to fall apart. Why do I need 75 pieces to build the little speeder bike for Count Dukou (or however you spell it)? And why the hell are some of those pieces held on by only ONE peg if it is truly meant to PLAY with? It's a puzzle, it's a collectors item, it's not a toy.

At least all the Star Wars ones my son has bought.

He has one 'Jack Stone' set my mom bought him that has been better than the Star Wars ones, but not as good as the Mega Bloks at staying together.

I wish Lego would just sell a bunch of the little GUYS and the weapons for them. I no longer want the rest of the 'set' just the guys, that's all my son is interested in because the things you build from the blocks fall apart.

One in particular comes to mind. A star wars set with the battle driods that can go into a ball in the movies.

My son saved up allowance for 2 months to buy this thing because he wanted the battle droids. They are only slightly bigger than a lego man figure, yet there are 30 pieces to make one of these. In 2 seperate places, the thing is held together by a single pin. Other places for the 'arms' are also held by a single pin which can ROTATE. You can't MOVE these things without it falling apart. It was a rip-off. It was a puzzle, not a toy.

Thank god for super glue.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Last edited by UnOrthOdOx; September 22, 2003 at 12:56.
Old September 22, 2003, 12:56   #45
Cort Haus
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 10:00
Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
What if ND and GoW didn't like each other?
The two Bobian warmonger civs at each other's throats.......
{Cort Looks up from Galadriel's Mirror}

That comes later, Ghengis.
Old September 22, 2003, 13:36   #46
Master Zen
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Cort Haus

{Cort Looks up from Galadriel's Mirror}

That comes later, Ghengis.
If that ever happened if would be after all the chickens and squid have been erradicated from the world

Old September 22, 2003, 14:37   #47
badams52
King

Local Time: 01:00
Actually, one fo the things I liked about legos was that they fall apart. Made for very enjoyable and interesting battles when you can break through a wall or pretend to destroy the wall with a laser.

Also, it made for another competition I had with my friend of trying to build the most indescructable car. Then you take the two cars and launch them into head on collisions. The one with less damage wins.

My friend had some ultimate designs.
Old September 22, 2003, 16:09   #48
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by badams52
Actually, one fo the things I liked about legos was that they fall apart. Made for very enjoyable and interesting battles when you can break through a wall or pretend to destroy the wall with a laser.

Also, it made for another competition I had with my friend of trying to build the most indescructable car. Then you take the two cars and launch them into head on collisions. The one with less damage wins.

My friend had some ultimate designs.
A piece here or there falling off is one thing. Something that you can't TOUCH without it falling apart is another thing all together.

Your cars obviously were able to at LEAST make it to each other and crash. YOU WERE ABLE TO PLAY with them. The cars in the Jack Stone set are pretty good too. However, these Star Wars sets, which my son wants for the action figures, really, are designed specifically to recreate a scene from the movies.

Look, I spent my childhood with lego blocks. Now, there weren't cars and things back then, or at least I never had any. JUST blocks. I would make castles or forts for all my toys out of them. Star Wars, GI Joe, you name it I made things from the Lego's. I could PLAY with them though.

Perhaps I can demonstrate here:

Here is the damn product in question.

2 battle droids and obi-wan from Episode I.

Look at the Battle Droids.

The body is made by taking 2x1 squares and placing them together. WHY did they not make these IDENTICAL pieces into a 2x2? It would have made it more stable. These fall apart easily the way it's made.

Where the body joins the legs is a SINGLE peg connection and a SWIVEL with a single Connect point. ALL OTHER SWIVELS ON THIS SET HAVE 3 CONNECTS. Again, how is this truly supposed to have a CHANCE at holding together? You honestly CANNOT pick these up without them breaking. Not without the aid of super glue.

The Count Dukou set was the same with his speeder bike. Little tiny connections making it so fragile you couldn't pick it up.

Bottom line is my son learned a valuable lesson about being ripped off and learning that not everything is as cool as they look on the packaging or in commercials. I had to watch him save money working on chores only to be disappointed with his first purchase. I expected more from Lego and find it sad the direction they are taking the building sets. Give me just the little lego men, keep these Sh*tty sets and building sets thank you. Or start making them serviceable.

And, FYI, he is the one who told me this before I started paying attention.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	untitled.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	53783  

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old September 22, 2003, 17:13   #49
Nuclear Winter
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayPtWDG2 SunshineSpanish Civers
Prince

Local Time: 06:00
Quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Master
BURN THE INFIDEL UNO!!
I see some similarities between this and the common line of tought in Roleplay, perhaps Lego is being convinced of joining the Allies?
Old September 22, 2003, 17:33   #50
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Winter

I see some similarities between this and the common line of tought in Roleplay, perhaps Lego is being convinced of joining the Allies?

Oh dear, I may be on the receiving end of harsh language lobbed from across the sea!

Zargon already declared war on me. We will settle that on the Poker table.

I'm speaking here of the TOYS, not the team just in case that isn't abundantly clear by now.

And, the toys SUCK when made into these 'play sets'. You lose a large part of the ability to create ANYTHING like you had with the old normal BLOCKS. Most don't even have good ole regular bricks and can really only be used as designed. THEN top it off by the fact that this design falls to pieces and you have a model, not a toy. A trinket to look at nothing more.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old September 22, 2003, 17:56   #51
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Lego isn't designed for 5 year old kids, thats Duplo, and yes I believe Mega Blocks are better for that. As you get older you want more versatility and Legos are great for the budding future mechanical engineer........
Old September 22, 2003, 17:57   #52
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Winter
The Grand Alliance has been speaking with Lego, yes. But they have rebuffed our offers to cut themselves a piece of the overbaked Stormplay pie...........
Old September 30, 2003, 08:18   #53
rendelnep
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Monty PythonC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Ankh-MorporkCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 21:00
Burn the infidel!!!!! join th alliance there should be no mockery of the holy lego!!!!!!!!
Old September 30, 2003, 17:17   #54
Beta
lifer
Deity

I think the concern was over holey lego, not holy lego. But then I am a Voxian, so what do I know about either religion or building.
Old September 30, 2003, 18:27   #55
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

What if "Beta" hadn't lost his "hound".............
Old September 30, 2003, 22:43   #56
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

rendelnep,

I think it is my place to do the burning around here!

History Guy,
Grand Inquisitor with an avatar to match his attitude
Old October 1, 2003, 09:16   #57
rendelnep
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Monty PythonC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Ankh-MorporkCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

(double post)
Old October 1, 2003, 09:17   #58
rendelnep
Prince

Alright then, We'll dunk him in cyclohexane!!!!! that should cause him to dissolve.... I hope.
Old October 1, 2003, 16:44   #59
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Works on Lego pieces anyway.
Old October 1, 2003, 17:26   #60
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

OK, well, we'll consent to letting you burn Ghengis at the stake. We've wanted to do it for a long time in fact but never got around to it.

Heretic! Recant! Recant! Ahahaha!

Bernard Gui
Grand Inquisitor