Old September 19, 2003, 22:36   #1
geniemalin
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:00
Local Date: November 2, 2010
[Relative Newbie] Abandon City?
As a relative newbie i have really enjoyed and learnt a lot from the forum regulars - so thank you!

I have a quick question, though, which I haven't seen any reference to - sometimes there is an 'Abandon City' option when right-clicking on a city, which can be really useful at times; other times the option doesn't appear, and when I try to build a settler with pop=2 or worker with pop=1 it doesn't even offer to abandon city, just automatically waits until the city grows.

Is there some explanation for this? Is there any way round it (other than giving the city to another Civ then raznig it)?

Thanks for any advice!
Old September 19, 2003, 22:59   #2
Tassadar500
Emperor

Local Time: 02:00
Ok you are not allowed to build a settler until your city is at pop 3 because a settler takes 2 pop away. I don't know what you are talking about when you said sometimes you can't.
Old September 20, 2003, 00:04   #3
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:00
I think you have to drop to size 1 after popping a worker or a settler or starving to be able to select abandon. I forget, so that may not be the whole story.
So if you are at size 2, you can never abandon. If it is growing and at size 2 you could build a settler and when it pops, you should be able to abandon. I can't remember the last time I used abandon, so don't bet on it.
Old September 20, 2003, 00:44   #4
geniemalin
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Master
Ok you are not allowed to build a settler until your city is at pop 3 because a settler takes 2 pop away. I don't know what you are talking about when you said sometimes you can't.
When at population 2 building a settler, sometimes it will offer you an option screen - 'Wait until population grows' or 'Abandon city' if I recall correctly.

I will try to get that screen up and take a screenshot.
Old September 20, 2003, 01:10   #5
Aramis
Prince

Local Time: 03:00
My experience:
Pop 3 to build a settler (-2pop)
Pop 2 to build a worker (-1pop)
Abandon City always an option by right click on mouse.
I don't understand why 'Abandon City' is not an option for you. It's basic to the game.
Clue me in if I'm wrong. --Rob
Old September 20, 2003, 02:01   #6
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Just remember that if you pop-rush and abandon the city, nearby cities will acquire the unhappiness.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old September 20, 2003, 08:54   #7
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 10:00
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob_S
My experience:
Pop 3 to build a settler (-2pop)
Pop 2 to build a worker (-1pop)
Abandon City always an option by right click on mouse.
I don't understand why 'Abandon City' is not an option for you. It's basic to the game.
Clue me in if I'm wrong. --Rob
Exactly my experience. No idea why you are not getting the option at times... I'm 100% positive one can abandon a city with pop 1+... I did that in my current PBEM - my capital was pop 7 when I had to abandon it, preventing my enemy from capturing it.

Also - keep in mind what Jaybe says. Poprush-induced unhappiness carries over to nearby cities, if you abandon a settlement.
Old September 20, 2003, 11:40   #8
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 05:00
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Quote:
Originally posted by vondrack
I did that in my current PBEM - my capital was pop 7 when I had to abandon it, preventing my enemy from capturing it.
THAT doesn't sound good!
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old September 20, 2003, 12:01   #9
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 11:00
Quote:
Originally posted by geniemalin

When at population 2 building a settler, sometimes it will offer you an option screen - 'Wait until population grows' or 'Abandon city' if I recall correctly.

I will try to get that screen up and take a screenshot.
I think that is when there are now extra food being produced so that the city won't grow with the current citizen setup. If the city as able to grow the production will just be halted until it grows.
Old September 20, 2003, 13:40   #10
PeaSoup
Warlord

geniemalin, what version are you playing? do you have ptw?

I believe the option to right-cilck-abadon city was added either in a late civ3 patch, or with ptw

without the option, the only way to abadon a city is to complete a settler on a size 1 city the same turn it grows to size 2, or complete the settler in a size 2 city with no growth, and no extra food in the foodbox, same idea with workers and size 1 cities
Old September 20, 2003, 22:27   #11
geniemalin
Chieftain

That might help explain it, I'm playing with the 'basic' (unpatched) version. I just bought PTW but have not yet installed it.

Jaybe -

Quote:
Just remember that if you pop-rush and abandon the city, nearby cities will acquire the unhappiness.
How does that work? How near do the cities have to be? Does all the unhappiness transfer?

By the way, thanks to all of you for the helpful replies so far!
Old September 20, 2003, 23:08   #12
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
How does that work? How near do the cities have to be? Does all the unhappiness transfer?
Duh, I don't know! We've just been basically told that by Firaxis some time ago, so abandon unhappy-populated cities with care.

Supposedly, all of the unhappiness transfers. It was made that way in an early patch, because players were pop-rushing cities to non-existence (you can't do THAT anymore, either). In other words, it was an exploit fix.

BTW, you are getting all this info from someone who has never pop-rushed in 2 years of playing civ3! I have never played beyond Regent, either.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old September 20, 2003, 23:09   #13
Louis XXIV
C4WDG Stratega
Prince

Local Time: 04:00
I often play with un-patched civ3 (Its impossible to get the patch on my laptop, so I make do)

No, you can't abandon cities without patching the game. I never got a message offering to disband the city for a settler (I did get this in Civ2 though, maybe you are confusing the two?)
Old September 20, 2003, 23:10   #14
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

INSTALL PTW, geniemalin! Patch to 1.27!
Old September 22, 2003, 04:29   #15
PeaSoup
Warlord

Unhappiness (due to pop rushing or drafting) does transfer to the nearest city when you abandon a city

Louis, the option to abandon when completing a settler or worker is in civ3, you just have to make sure your foodbox is completely empty and your city will end up as size "0" with the completion of the unit.

I agree with Jaybee, install PTW and the latest patch! civ3 is a much better game that way.
Old September 22, 2003, 17:38   #16
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 11:00
Quote:
Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by vondrack
I did that in my current PBEM - my capital was pop 7 when I had to abandon it, preventing my enemy from capturing it.
Originally posted by Theseus

THAT doesn't sound good!

It doesn't look very promising, does it? Surprisingly enough, he survived so far
--Woody Allen
Old September 22, 2003, 17:55   #17
Oerdin
Deity

Don't adandon it. Just wait and it will most likely flip back in a few turns.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.