Old September 20, 2003, 02:53   #1
greluc
Settler

Local Time: 09:00
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Too much domination
Hi,
I'm new to Apolyton, but I've checked through the forum to see if anyone has addressed this before.
Almost every game I play I lose or win through domination, this happens even when I disable domination as a victory condition on random games, and when I disable it in a home made scenario. I got on to the support site, but theguy handling my case confused it with someone else's problem and never replied to me again!
Incidentally many of my PTW scenarios don't work due to missing files - I don't know if this could be a related symptom?
I'm running WinXP.
I'd be most grateful for any help as I'd love to win (or more likely lose) for another reason one day!
greluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2003, 04:16   #2
Kliemann
Settler

Same here: patch 21f, XP home, loads of files missing (scenarios) & no matter what, the game is won by domination.

...and it ain't a dodgy copy of the game either: purchased Cic3 + PTW in Ireland.

Anyone got any ideas?
Kliemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2003, 10:24   #3
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 04:00
Yes, a lot of the missing files can be downloaded from the scenarios websites or either at this site or CFC.

I you have missing files when you create your own sceanrios it means you have not made all the needed changes.

As for the domination victory thing. I'm not sure. Disablign it should disable it. Try updating with the latest patch.

Sell your photos
Sheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2003, 14:10   #4
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:00
When you say you win by domination (or lose), do you mean that the game ends at 2050? Do you mean it ends earlier and a winner is declared via dominaton?
If it is 2050 then, nothing is wrong, if it is earlier, then it is a bug, presuming you did turn of that victory condition.
That can be verified with a save. Turn on all conditions and then load the save. Start a new game after one turn and see if the domination is now off.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2003, 23:03   #5
Kliemann
Settler

Turn domination victory on or off, save, reload, restart, even reinstall - it's a bug, whatever way you look at it. I've tried with and w/o patches (now on UK 27f).
I've tried "the lot" and still end up with the same problem: domination victory (win/lose) kicks in around 1200 AD.
I just can't get my head around what's causing this. If it would be a common bug, everybody wouyld get it -right?
Could it possibly have anything to do with the installation of XP SP1? (Seeing, that this bug didn't happen to me before & the game worked fine. Then again: unlikely...)
So, now?
Old September 20, 2003, 23:24   #6
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:00
I been on XP PRO SP1 for the last two PC's and have not seen this issue. Reprot it to Firaxis or who ever has the support.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2003, 00:55   #7
Kliemann
Settler

For what it's worth: re-installed again, but this time I installed the GameSpy as well (even though it's of no use to me), and all of a sudden the missing scenarios work. (Before, some folders were missing - now they're there. Strange.)
Anyway, I started a few test runs. When the domination-bug occured, I wouldn't find an entry in the Hall Of Fame. Then again, I was always playing with my own mod - just a few minor changes to increase the number of civs on a map.
Now, with a test-mod (one change: number of civs up by 1 on tiny map) the same happens: I purposely lose the game after a few turns - no entry in HOF. If I play w/o the mod: I purposely lose the game after a few turns - there is an entry in HOF.
I might just give it a go with a mod and wait for that domination-bug today, but this still leaves three questions:
How did I get those missing scenarios back after reinstall with GameSpy on?
Why did I not encounter this problem before (pre PTW21f patch)?
How do others run their mods?

Btw, over the years I've tried to contact the Firaxis-support a few times. When you have nothing good to say, say nothing at all...
Old September 22, 2003, 05:47   #8
greluc
Settler

Interesting about the gamespy - I didn't install it either - will try it when I get time to fiddle.
Unfortunately I have to agree about Firaxis support.
My problem seems to be identical to Kliemann's although I'm running the Pacific region's version of Civ with its latest patch and XP Home SP1.
Like he says it doesn't seem to be all that common though.
And to clear up vmxa1's point I never have got as far as 2050 before someone annihilates me...with domination To add insult to injury I have found some of the defeats to be hard to believe as the AI doesn't seem to have enough territory to fulfill the requirements.
greluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2003, 01:28   #9
lev
Warlord

I have the same problem!
This one has been bugging me for months! It's happened both in 1.27 and 1.29.

Likewise, I have found that disabling Domination victories in the setup doesn't help; my games always end in the medieval or industrial era just when I get on a roll.

I've tried reinstalling. The only mod I have installed is Snoopy's terrain graphics, which should have absolutely no effect on this, but I'll try it without, I suppose.