View Poll Results: Please read the proposal below.
Yes! 14 82.35%
No! 1 5.88%
2 11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 20, 2003, 18:00   #1
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 11:02
Local Date: November 2, 2010
ACPSG/ACDG3: Basic government structure
I would like to put to poll a basic government proposal you see below. It is certainly not meant to be final. Certain parts, names etcetera can all be changed later. However I would like to know if you could agree with the basic structure below. If the majority says "yes", I'd start working on a constitutional proposal. Then we would at least have a concrete document to work around and discuss about, instead of making loose suggestions.

I've made it a simple Yes/No/Xenobanana poll, with five days voting time.

First, all participants of the game are members of the party's Central Committee. That organization, together with the politburo and the Central Committee Secretariat had in the USSR a large influence on discussion policy alternatives and deciding the policy that the executive government has to follow. Being all Central Committee members would be the roleplay explanation that secretaries have to poll on what policy to follow instead of just acting on their own. Knowing that:

General Secretary
  • will be elected at the start of the game and then stay in office until he or she is impeached/purged.
  • posts nomination and elections thread
  • guardian of the constitution, and mother-hen of the game in general
  • tries to find replacements if a government official becomes inactive
  • moderator of a hopefully newly created "AC - Police State Game*" forum (* or whatever the new forum should be called - as long as it is different from the current forum name)
  • chairman of the politburo
  • appoints the full members and candidate members of the party's politburo

Politburo members
  • Though in reality they had the most power in the USSR, since we're all high party members anyway I would see this here as a mere honourary title given by the General Secretary to the most active and influential members of our faction (thus not those he or she likes most). It would perhaps give the politburo member an informal authority, and the right to brag with that title in his or her signature.
  • Perhaps when there is a constitution issue, three judges for the Supreme Court could be chosen out of this politburo, consisting of the most respected Hive members?
  • Perhaps a majority of Politburo members could veto any executive decision? I'll leave this issue to be discussed when we have a more concrete document.

Chairman of the Council of Ministers
  • This position is the head of the executive government. The turn player in other words.
  • making turnthreads, posting turnlogs, posting save files...
  • If a government official didn't give orders, the Chairman may act with emergency power. This removes the need for an Alpha Talent, as the other half of the previous AT duties would be performed by the General Secretary.

The executive government was largely controlled by the party's Politburo and the Central Committee Secretariat, so I would call the different positions "Secretary for blah blah...".

Blah blah being: (keep in mind the names are just general placeholders to be changed later)

Secretary for Science and Social Engineering / Scientific and Social Experiments
Controlling artifacts, tech and SE polls...

Secretary for Factional Defence / Military Affairs
Controls military and probe units, constructs prototypes...

Secretary for Foreign Affairs
Diplomacy.

Secretary for Economic Policies
Makes five-year plans. Maps out regions, divides credits (together with Military and Foreign Affairs), polls base names and base locations, moves colony pods...

Then there are the previous regional governors. If we follow the USSR style, they should be:
First Secretary of a XX Republic
Controls his or her republic's formers, crawlers, workers, build queue, requests credits etcetera...

That's about it.
Old September 20, 2003, 18:52   #2
Corellion
ACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

Local Time: 04:02
Overall idea sounds good. It has my vote.
Function Corelli Omega-9, Internal Affairs Function (Terms 110, 101, 100, 011, and 010) and Advisor on Foreign Affairs (Term 001) for the Cybernetic Consciousness in the Alpha Centauri Democracy Team Game (ACDTG).
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or one.
Old September 21, 2003, 05:14   #3
Phenix
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Morgan
Warlord

Local Time: 10:02
All right, looking good... fine for me
Old September 21, 2003, 12:19   #4
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

/me votes yes
1 no vote
At least say why..
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old September 21, 2003, 15:38   #5
Vander
ACDG The Human HivePtWDG2 SunshineAlpha Centauri Democracy GameMacCivilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 Morgan
Prince

Local Time: 02:02
It also looks like at least one person was drawn into the sexy dance of the banana...
and then refusing to decide
Old September 21, 2003, 16:04   #6
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 09:02
I voted no, because we need a ton more government positions. I'm thinking somewhere between 20-30.

Old September 21, 2003, 16:09   #7
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

I would start out with few government positions, but if there's higher than expected interest in the new game, we could always later split up certain positions, eg KGB Chairman.
Old September 21, 2003, 16:43   #8
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

I'll only change my vote to yes if you make a "Department of Propaganda".

I love Propaganda
Old September 21, 2003, 18:15   #9
Maniac

I was thinking of proposing to call the newspaper editor "Secretary for Ideology" or "Chairman of the Ideological/Propaganda Department". Other possibilities are "Chairman or Director of the Main Administration for Safeguarding State Secrets in the Press" (Glavnoe upravlenie po okhrane gosudarstvennykh tain v pechati-- Glavlit), Director of the Telegraph Agency of the Soviet Union (Telegrafnoe agentstvo Sovetskogo Soiuza--TASS ) or Director of the News Press Agency (Agentstvo pechati novosti--Novosti). If my information is correct, those are all real organizations.

Question is, should the position of newspaper editor be included in the constitution, or should I rather be kept informal?
Old September 21, 2003, 21:38   #10
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 20:02
Keep it informal - it might be fun to have different newspapers competing to be recognised as the official vocie of the Party, and having them periodically shut down for backing the wrong horse...
Old September 21, 2003, 22:39   #11
Nubclear

I agree. That would be pretty fun.
Old September 21, 2003, 23:27   #12
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 19:02
This sounds fun to me.
Old September 22, 2003, 00:12   #13
Nubclear

Oh, and -1 to NO and +1 to Yes
Old September 22, 2003, 12:23   #14
Phenix
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Morgan
Warlord

Local Time: 10:02
All right, that equals 12 yes and 1 banana
Old September 22, 2003, 12:32   #15
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Local Time: 03:02
Thirteen.

Grapefruit Garden
Old September 22, 2003, 18:28   #16
Octavian X
Civilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HivePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy GameACDG3 GaiansC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 03:02
Another YES vote. This form of government is truly glourious, comrades!
Old September 22, 2003, 22:48   #17
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 21:02
I hope we're going to vote on all of these except maybe the Party Sec every now and again.

We could also have a game trigger that ousts the Party Sec and has an election to determine the new one (the old one can stand again), so we don't need to have any ill feelings for refreshing the office. This trigger could be a change in SE for example, so the Party Sec election would be a side-effect of a beneficial (and necessary) SE change as opposed to something that might offend the Party Sec of the time. This way we know there will be some times that the Party Sec will be in trouble (RP perspective), and the RP of the ousting and the election could be magnificent! Otherwise ousting the Sec would be on someone's initiative and could cause hurt feelings - this way even the incumbent could get into the RP with no ill feeling, as they knew they would face re-election!

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old September 25, 2003, 06:35   #18
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 21:02
Any thoughts on this...?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old September 28, 2003, 13:33   #19
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

You mean general secretary? I think there needs to be someway to remove them (revolution ) Maybe changing SE government structure as you suggested. Also, bear in mind that most people who started the last one didn't finish, including both candidates for the first Commissioner. That shows that whoever starts as General Secretary may leave at some point, and need replacing.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker