Old April 26, 2000, 18:46   #1
The ANZAC
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 00:58
Local Date: October 31, 2010
A Red Front Site
I want to build a Red Front Site. The only thing is, what to have. I know I'll have strategies and the scenario itself, but what else? I'm making it for the Civ2 world, so tell me what you want!
Old April 26, 2000, 18:52   #2
Stefan Härtel
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 06:58
Make a forum for it too. Counting the threads and discussions in non-RF based threads, I suppose that this would be very appreciated.

Further, I think you should first ask Cpt. Nemo...

------------------
Follow the masses!
30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Our survival is based on continouus changing.
-Mao Tse-Tung
God might have created us as equals, but democracy and science pretty
much screwed that whole idea..
-Onepaul

Visit my Homepage at: http://members.xoom.com/SHaertel/Index.html
Old April 26, 2000, 20:59   #3
The ANZAC
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

But I did, and Nemo agreed. Yeah, I was thinking of having a forum, definitely.
Old April 26, 2000, 23:00   #4
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 01:58
woah, an entire site devoted to one scenario...this might be a first
Old April 27, 2000, 10:55   #5
klesh
King

Well, I couldn't think of a better scenario to deserve it's own site!!!

------------------
I am the Ukrainian Anti-Pope!
Old April 27, 2000, 21:01   #6
Case
Emperor

Local Time: 15:58
You could have "mini senarios" using the Red Front modpack. A few examples: a race to Berlin with the Americans set in '45, an option to play Barbarossa as the Germans, The "winter war" with Finland in 1939-40, etc.
Old April 28, 2000, 11:46   #7
Sten Sture
Emperor

Local Time: 21:58
Local Date: October 30, 2010
A Stalingrad urban map to encircle von Paulus's 6th Army...

Just don't let Harlan see that I brought it up again.
Old April 28, 2000, 15:22   #8
Harlan
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

I absolutely forbid Stalingrad scenarios!!! No, just kidding- that just wasn't my first choice if one were to make a WW2 scenario.

Another purpose of the RF site: suggestions on RF updates and progress reports on how its going. I think much to Nemo's chagrin, I've been bombarding him with way too many suggestions lately .
Old April 28, 2000, 16:35   #9
Jim Winchell
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:58
How about Red Front Lite? The same game only using the Eastern European civ map (no lend lease, Italy or German cities beyond Berlin). It'll speed play and give you extra event space and three extra unit slots.
Old April 29, 2000, 00:21   #10
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

I second Case's proposal. Captain Nemo (and Alex Mor) have put a lot of time creating these units, icons, and schemes. With a tiny little twist new scenarios can be built in batches for the WWII era. The RF site can help people communicate on ideas of RF family scenarios.
Old April 30, 2000, 08:12   #11
The ANZAC
King

Back to the grindstone...;0 All very good ideas. Also, if anyone wants to make a Red Front spinoff scenario, you're welcome to make it and you can send it to me so I can post it. Or I could just make it myself !!!
Old May 5, 2000, 17:22   #12
Stefan Härtel
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

If you need help with the site, need a server or whatever, I'm ready to help you.

Something nice would also be a small "facts" section about what actually happened during "Barbarossa" (and where the name comes from. I know it, but who does too? )

------------------
Follow the masses!
30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Our survival is based on continouus changing.
-Mao Tse-Tung
God might have created us as equals, but democracy and science pretty
much screwed that whole idea..
-Onepaul

Visit my Homepage at: http://members.xoom.com/SHaertel/Index.html
Old May 5, 2000, 19:33   #13
The ANZAC
King

Thanks Stefan, but I do have an account at Geocities, Angelfire, and Xoom. I have a good idea for a spinoff scenario that isn't a very well known aspect of WWII: The Mountain Campaign in Norway. There would be the Russians, Germans and Finns. There would be Russian and German Machine Gun positions which would be slow, but high defense. Then a small number of tanks with good defense would be given by events only and are slow on moutains (most of map), but fast on flat terrain. Then all sides would have Conscript and Expert Alpine Infantry which would have high mobility (road) and would have moderate defense. And there would be some ships from the beginning that would unable to be made. Here's the innovation: all units (land and sea) would have submarine, see submarine, and settler features on and would have zero attack. Yes you heard me, zero attack. Instead, all units would have holds for missiles. Then each unit would have Infantry, Tank, and Ship Ammunition and attacks would be waged by firing these at each other. Food would be renamed Fuel & Supplies (Sorry Nemo, but it's a good idea!) and now the player would have to deal with resupplying ammunition and fuel. Engineering (road building and irrigation) would be set slow and they would be able to build cities (nicely named Bases and Depots) so troops can setup a base quickly and then leave quickly. How does that sound?
Old May 5, 2000, 22:41   #14
Michael Daumen
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

You know what would be great? Getting Alex Mor to share his work on the Russian Civil War (which he has stopped)
Old May 6, 2000, 10:39   #15
The ANZAC
King

It's too bad that he has stopped making scenarios and graphics for the Civ2 community. Maybe would could ask him to have us finish the work on the RCW scenario?

------------------
"There's one more thing you men can say when it's all over and you're home once more. You can thank God that twenty years from now when you're sitting by the fireside with your grandson on your knee, and he asks you what you did in the war, you won't have to shift him to the other knee, cough and say, 'I shovelled **** in Louisiana.'"
-General George S. Patton addressing his troops before D-Day landings June 1944
Old May 6, 2000, 13:26   #16
Fast_Eddie

then the land units would move hella slowly, and the tanks would go just as quickly as the infantry.

the ammunition could be used by anyone, and wouldn't it be dumb to see a ship with infantry ammo?

Roads would be useless, and it would basically much everything up. So while it's an idea I've thought of quite a lot, it's not exactly the most practical.

Old May 6, 2000, 15:08   #17
The ANZAC
King

quote:

Originally posted by Fast_Eddie on 05-06-2000 01:26 PM
then the land units would move hella slowly, and the tanks would go just as quickly as the infantry.

The infantry would have the "all treated as roads" ability on

quote:

the ammunition could be used by anyone, and wouldn't it be dumb to see a ship with infantry ammo?

House rules...

quote:

Roads would be useless, and it would basically much everything up. So while it's an idea I've thought of quite a lot, it's not exactly the most practical.

I know, it's a problem

------------------
"There's one more thing you men can say when it's all over and you're home once more. You can thank God that twenty years from now when you're sitting by the fireside with your grandson on your knee, and he asks you what you did in the war, you won't have to shift him to the other knee, cough and say, 'I shovelled **** in Louisiana.'"
-General George S. Patton addressing his troops before D-Day landings June 1944
Old May 6, 2000, 21:15   #18
Case
Emperor

Local Time: 15:58
I doubt that the AI would be able to cope with those restrictions. How many times do you see subs carrying cruise or nuclear missiles?

BTW Nemo used this method in a limited way in his American Civil War senario, with mortar boats that only fired shells with a range of one. Its a good idea for limiting the use of powerful weapons, but would probably stuff up senarios when used on a large scale.
Old May 30, 2000, 15:46   #19
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

I just checked http://members.xoom.com/ and to my surprise there is no user named redfront! This means that if any of us go to that site and register as redfront we'll end up with a good name for the red front site. Any takers?
Old May 30, 2000, 16:39   #20
PolarisGL
King

Wait, wait. I would allow an entire Red Front section to be run off the Art of War, with a new layout that I have ideas for and much more. Personally, I think it would work out. And, if the Art of War is hosted off ACS, the Art of War will obtain its own forum.

Any takers at all? As for strategies about Red Front on the Art of War, we can simply post reference to them at the Red Front section, and perhaps make the Red Front section contain extensive strategical guides as opposed to sized strategies.

Whoever wants to run the section (that is if people like my idea) can e-mail me, and I can get them my FTP information if it all works out?

Just a thought.
Old May 30, 2000, 16:41   #21
PolarisGL
King

And I believe Alex retired temp., correct?
Old May 30, 2000, 19:02   #22
Leonidas
King

The spin-off ideas for Red Front sound terrific:

1) Red Front (but playing the Germans this time - with events, AI, etc programmed for the Russian side)

2) The Battle of Kursk - largest tank battle in history (about 4,000 tanks involved).

3) Soviet drive to Berlin

4) A scenario just about the Stalingrad pocket with Von Paulus' trapped 6th army.

5) Guderian's drive on Moscow

6) The siege of Leningrad

7) The Battle for Stalingrad (with the Factory Works, etc)

8) The Russian-Finnish War in 1939

9) The Russian-Japanese battles in 1939

The ideas are limitless. I hope Captain Nemo and others will pick up the challenge and continue producing a series of excellent scenarios

------------------
Go tell the Spartans, passerby:
That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.
[This message has been edited by Leonidas (edited May 30, 2000).]
Old May 31, 2000, 02:31   #23
myrlyn
Chieftain

has anyone ever thought about doing a redfront conversion for TOT. I would be more than happy to do the unit and city and terrain conversions. And there are all those extra slots for units too.
Old May 31, 2000, 08:21   #24
Sortub
Chieftain

Not to mention another idea: The Soviet Strikes against Japan in Aug '45, right before it was all over.
Old June 1, 2000, 00:13   #25
JPetroski
Prince

Whoa, has anyone bothered to ask Nemo about all this yet?

Also, I personally do not think that this is the best idea because it will overuse the new units that he has created thus far.

Still, these scenarios would be fun.

Thanks,

------------------
John Petroski
Vudak@aol.com
Old June 1, 2000, 18:10   #26
C0ckney
King

Well in case anyone wants to know Barbarossa comes from Fredrick barbarossa who was Holy Roman Emperor in the 13th Century and battled the pope for supremarcy in Europe and is regaurded as a German national hero, hope that helps

------------------
Cockney used to be schizophereic but we'er ok now