Old September 20, 2003, 22:31   #1
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 03:04
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Idea: in-game notepad
What if civ had an in-game notepad so the player could write stuff down during the game? The player could open the notepad at any time during their turn to make a to-do list or just write little reminders or whatever.

Good or bad?
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
The diplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2003, 04:08   #2
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 11:04
I think that's a very intriguing idea.
Old September 21, 2003, 04:11   #3
pg
Prince

Local Time: 04:04
i think if you need a notepad the game has become too involved for most players. i think simplifying the game would be much better than having an in game notepad.
Old September 21, 2003, 10:45   #4
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

May I expand a little on this?

I would like it if this notepad was at least city, if not even unit specific. Ie if you right click on the city or unit, you get access to the notepad for that specific city or unit.

You could maintain your plans better, that way. Even cooler would it be if you could create reminders for those cities/units.

Asmodean
Old September 21, 2003, 10:45   #5
Leland
Prince

If there's a need for the player to write stuff down, it means that the user interface doesn't give out all the necessary information at the right time. It's a bug, not a feature.
Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2003, 10:50   #6
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 03:04
Quote:
Originally posted by pg
i think if you need a notepad the game has become too involved for most players. i think simplifying the game would be much better than having an in game notepad.
I am not saying that a notepad is a neccesity. But it could be nice even in a simple game, if you want to jolt something down to remember later.

Were civ2 or SMAC too involved? No, but I bet there were times when a notepad would have been a nice thing to have.

With a notepad, you can write down ideas for later in the game like, "the zulus are a pain in the ass, I should wipe them out." Or "remember to build Leo's workshop as soon as I get the tech for it".

The notepad would also allow a player to write down what their strategy is, for when they take up a save game after not playing for days.

It would also be good for those players who like to keep a record of their games for AAR and fiction.
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
The diplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2003, 11:02   #7
Asmodean
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The diplomat

It would also be good for those players who like to keep a record of their games for AAR and fiction.
Yeah. That would be a great use for it.

Asmodean
Old September 21, 2003, 22:53   #8
Colonel E
Settler

Just have an "annotate x" feature. Be able to attach a note to anything: a minor village, a unit, a road, a city, a place on the map, a border, a region, &c.
Colonel E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2003, 21:12   #9
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 09:04
I'd never use it- it's just a tacky addition to a game... like the notepad on apolyton

but the annotate 'x' feature might be interesting... but a regular notepad for everything... I just don't see how it would well-serve the game at all?
Old September 23, 2003, 00:29   #10
TimeTraveler
Warlord

Whether most people find it useful or not, the notepad add-on would probably be a very easy and inexpensive item to add to the game, which may be a way for it to catch on.
TimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2003, 01:04   #11
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 02:04
If you really wanted something to write out your plans then why not just use an old fashioned piece of paper?
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Oerdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2003, 09:24   #12
Asmodean
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
If you really wanted something to write out your plans then why not just use an old fashioned piece of paper?
Well with the keyboard and the mousepad there just doesn't seem to be enough room on my desk for paper. And mindlinks are still to expensive.

Asmodean
Old September 24, 2003, 12:30   #13
Sore Loser
Warlord

Local Time: 10:04
In my book, anything that can save time and concentration is a great boon to any player. Of course players can keep his notes in any way he desires, but the more convenient and time-efficient those notes are, the more useful they are. The reminders in particular are a great idea, I have often found myself in need of those.
Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2003, 14:43   #14
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

we're not talking a notepad then, it's more like "post-its" you tag onto things.

it's as simple as adding a string variable to each class (unit, city, etc) and having it pop up on a mouseover, or a click, or something.

would they be global (ie, all players see them), private, or a mix?

also, there should be a line. all those strings will add up and be memory intensive. you shouldn't be able to "post-it" every terrain tile, IMHO.

and how much info are we talking? per unit and per city?
Old September 27, 2003, 16:05   #15
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Whether most people find it useful or not, the notepad add-on would probably be a very easy and inexpensive item to add to the game, which may be a way for it to catch on.
But it would still look tacky... I've played games with notepads- they looked tacky.

Sticky-notes, however (a la SimCity2000/3000) looked good!
Old October 2, 2003, 01:15   #16
Vince278
King

Always could just open the Windows notepad and alt-tab.
(Unless you're still getting that directx error )
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)
Vince278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2003, 22:45   #17
Brent
Prince

Local Time: 01:04
Yes! a notepad is one of my ideas that I haven't remembered to post about yet! I want the game to remind me of things I wanted to do when things happen. Hovever, there seems to be less need now than in Civ2. A note within the software would be easier to find than on a scrap of paper when you come back to a game you haven't played in a while.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2003, 23:42   #18
Vince278
King

I'm a micro-managing Emperor at heart who can remember the myriad details of everything that is happening in my current game but I can see the problem if you have to step away for more than a few days. Unfortunately it would be a pain to type the necessary detailed brief on what I'm doing.
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)
Vince278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2003, 07:43   #19
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 18:04
I like the idea of a note pad.

large civs can get a tad untidy when you are also working fulkl time and looking after your child...
Old October 25, 2003, 11:42   #20
DarkCloud
staff

I usually just do what vince suggests when I play my games... And it'll save some coding and make the game less unweildly if more people just did that instead of using one in-game
Old November 1, 2003, 08:41   #21
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

I like this idea. It can't be hard to include, and I'm sure it would get used.
DrSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2003, 10:02   #22
Asmodean
Emperor

Championship Manager 4 has something like this. You can attach notes and reminders to the players. I use this feature a lot.

Asmodean
Old November 1, 2003, 12:10   #23
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

An "annotation" feature would be nice indeed. I sure wouldn't use it often, but it can be useful when you want to note down your plans, if you have to leave Civ for some time.
Spiffor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2003, 15:28   #24
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

definatly something to be looked at by game makers , it would be great to get an automated program for screenshots

now the idea has to be sold , .......

and the main Q is how , ....

have a great day
Panag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2003, 18:18   #25
MattH
King

What would also be interesting is a "future marker" where you can place colored markers or arrows to indicate locations to build a city, roads, mines, and for troop movement. What would make that even cooler is a a way to assign 'future builds' to units and specify a priority rating. Talk about 5-year plans
Old November 22, 2003, 19:52   #26
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by MattH
What would also be interesting is a "future marker" where you can place colored markers or arrows to indicate locations to build a city
Yeah I'd love this, given the amount of times I've spent ages on a pattern of cities then forgot exactly where I decided my cities should be.
DrSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2003, 06:09   #27
Asmodean
Emperor

Hey, Matt: That's actually a great idea. I have, as DrSpike, spent too much time deciding on city locations, then to firget them again. Would be a nice addition to civ games

Asmodean
Old November 28, 2003, 02:32   #28
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 05:04
Quote:
Originally posted by Vince278
Always could just open the Windows notepad and alt-tab.
(Unless you're still getting that directx error )
That's what I do, when I feel the need (rarely) to mark something down.

I once used that to name all of my ships, before we were able to rename units
Old December 10, 2003, 07:43   #29
Torkkeli
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

I think it would be very handy for example when saving the game. You would be able to write down your plans for the future.
And when you load up the game, say after some while you are instantly brought back to the game as you can read what you or someone else was doing before saved.
Old December 10, 2003, 19:17   #30
Nimrod
Call to Power MultiplayerCall to Power PBEMCall to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy Game
King

Here is the scenario, you take over a PBEM game for some one who has left. Instead of going back and looking through all the related threads, you can open the notepad the previous player started and see that civilization x is not to be trusted because of a land dispute around turn x.