Old September 28, 2003, 04:31   #61
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 02:08
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Zero

Button mashers are people who just press buttons randomly in fighting games and dont know what they are doing.

I think cheese fiend means person who abuses block dmg in SF2. (I whore block dmg. )
button mashers . That's definately me. I suck at fighting games, and don't have the speed and/or knowlege to hit the buttons correctly. I just hit buttons at random
Old September 28, 2003, 22:05   #62
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 04:08
you just have to take some time learning how to play the game first... just like civ games.

I think you see mashers in fighting game more often than strat games cause its easier to start playing in fighting game without learning than strat game.. although my friend plays civ but he doesnt know how to really play. All he does is build up units and takes e=pleasure in destroying cities. So you could say he's mashing civ??? hmm...

I dont think u really suck. I think you never really bothered learning how to play for real. Truly crappy player actually took time learning how to play, understand how the game works yet still suck.
Old September 29, 2003, 07:25   #63
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 19:08
Re: Brag about it.
Quote:
-Which game do you own ppl in?

-Ar you sure that there isnt any (or very little ppl) that could own you in this game?

-Is this game multiplayerable?
Super Mario World: I can get through the first six worlds in less than two hours (without the Star Road). Actually, I've mastered pretty much all the games I own. But they're still fun anyway.
Old October 3, 2003, 20:46   #64
geeslaka
Prince

*geeslaka shows off his absolute mastery of Blaster Master*
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old October 3, 2003, 21:45   #65
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 11:08
Hmm, I guess the game I play best is civ3, I can even beat regent...sometimes

I was able to finish coin-slot wonder boy but that's some time ago now
And I was getting better and becoming reasonably good at Vietcong but sadly lost interest due to lack off good MP games ( Me no like frag-fests, damned 15 year olds (yes, Jag you too )
Old October 3, 2003, 22:29   #66
geeslaka
Prince

Did I mention that I kick adze at blazing through Super Metroid?
I can't get everything though.
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old October 4, 2003, 00:59   #67
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Does anyone actually play an old/obsolete game to this day cause you feel like you havent mastered it enough? (exclude civ2 from ur answer, poly ppl.. cause we know theres plenty of em) Has anyone seen that MTV episode where this loser still plays Pac-Man trying to record the highest score possible? I sometimes feel like him when I get over obsessed with particular games... (streetfighter*cough*soulcalibur*cough*)
Old October 4, 2003, 01:36   #68
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Eugh, no

I need eye-candy
I tried some new version of Kings-quest but just couldn't go through with it.
Old October 4, 2003, 02:00   #69
geeslaka
Prince

I don't care too much about eye-candy.
I'll often play games with crappy(by modern standards) graphics because they have good gameplay.
XGalaga.
Old October 4, 2003, 06:57   #70
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 10:08
I pick up old adventure games to play sometimes..............because time isn't that big a factor in this genre if the story and puzzles are solid.
Old October 4, 2003, 18:27   #71
Zero
King

Quote:
Originally posted by alva
Eugh, no

I need eye-candy
I tried some new version of Kings-quest but just couldn't go through with it.
Aghhhh!!!! graphics obsessed gamers. (makes cross with fingers) remove thy presence!

Old October 4, 2003, 18:46   #72
alva
Deity

Nah, not obsessed, they don't have to be of the standard of Doom 3, but when it's hard to make out the figures because they look like blocks, I can't handle it .

Hey I was taking 'bout games such as Kings Quest 1 & 2 which really don't look good on a 19 inch monitor, not the mention no sound etc...
Old October 4, 2003, 19:54   #73
geeslaka
Prince

Sound? If you have a good setup, you can run your preferred music in the background and not have to listen to whatever sound may be built into the game. That's what I'm doing now.
XGalaga.
Old October 4, 2003, 20:47   #74
alva
Deity

Me too mostly, but in an adventure I like to hear what the caracters(sp?) are saying, it adds to the atmosphere IMO.
Old October 4, 2003, 21:29   #75
geeslaka
Prince

Oh, I agree in that case, I prefer games that have seperatte options for turning off sound effects and background music.
XGalaga.
Old October 5, 2003, 07:23   #76
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 10:08
Actually there aren't that many games I've played where I want to forgo the sound. Some TBS games would be the only contenders.
Old October 5, 2003, 14:49   #77
Zero
King

who's the best civ player in poly? anyone wanna start any MP game competition?

C'mon lets get some trash talk going!
Old October 5, 2003, 15:09   #78
geeslaka
Prince

In America, 10 pounds of trash are thrown away for every person every day.

You asked for some trash talk.
XGalaga.
Old October 5, 2003, 18:15   #79
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

well it is true I never actually learn to play fighting games. But often when you read the instructions, they aren't helpful. They don't tell you how to play.

Trust me, I'm not quick enough, or coordinated enough to hit all those button combinations. And some of those button combinations for special moves are very complicated for the x-box.
Old October 5, 2003, 18:18   #80
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 09:08
Quote:
who's the best civ player in poly?
IMHO it's Aeson or nbarclay. Sir Ralph kicks some major ass too. There's probably a couple more excellent players I'm doing a disservice by not mentioning, but those three are right up there.
Old October 5, 2003, 20:57   #81
alva
Deity

Yep, both of them would get my vote too. And I would even say beyond 'Poly too.
Dominae is very good too and don't forget about Alexman and DeepO.
Old October 5, 2003, 22:27   #82
Zero
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
well it is true I never actually learn to play fighting games. But often when you read the instructions, they aren't helpful. They don't tell you how to play.

Trust me, I'm not quick enough, or coordinated enough to hit all those button combinations. And some of those button combinations for special moves are very complicated for the x-box.
for me the same exact quote would conver to:

Quote:
well it is true I never actually learn to play turn based games games. But often when you read the instructions, they aren't helpful. They don't tell you how to play.
yeah, turn based game manuals are usually more detailed than fighting games, but that still doesnt change the fact that if you ONLY learned the game from the manual, youd be a scrub. Theres alot of info on civ in this site alone to make a whole world of difference VS someone who read manual and started playing VS a poly guy whos knowledgable in all kinds of strat shared in this site.

Quote:
Soul calibur and tekken only requires timing. Button input is in no way complex. Especially Soul calibur, cause most attacks requires you to do attack + direction and you do a special move.

Exception of Ivy (the 376231 A+B... look at ur numpad), I cant really think of a character who needs to do crazy button input to win the game.
Old October 5, 2003, 22:31   #83
Zero
King

Isnt dominae very involved with AU stuff in strat forum? Id probably say hes one of the top 10 player too.... along w/ alexman deepO and etc...

We need to have poly MP ranking sys for civ, so that the best can trash talk to us and the rest of us can kiss that individual's feet.

I competition.
Old October 5, 2003, 23:58   #84
alva
Deity

If you can beat Deity, you're good enough.

It's almost impossible to make a ladder IMO for a game like Civ, there's too many variables to account for IMO.
Old October 6, 2003, 01:25   #85
Zero
King

I hate measuring skill based on AI. AIs are sooo.... not human.
but I do understand what ur trying to say. If you can beat deity, you must know at least some tricks and strategies to make ur playing style efficient... I played agst 8 emperor once... wow... I was the last place AI in my chieftain game (ie I was the guy fightin with pikes while tanks were rolling in LOL)

well u can do it just by wins and losses..

Win percentage wont determine whos the best perfectly, but it does give us an interesting general idea....

but dont civ games take like weeks to complete?
Old October 6, 2003, 02:30   #86
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 01:08
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
Quote:
Soul calibur and tekken only requires timing. Button input is in no way complex. Especially Soul calibur, cause most attacks requires you to do attack + direction and you do a special move.
I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you here. I can kinda see the logic with Soul Caliber, but with Tekken there's a lot more than timing. I LOVED Tekken Tag because of what you could get the characters to do by inputting crazy stuff on the controller. From Yoshi's low parry buffer madness, to crouch dash rushing, to back-stance dancing with Lei, to stance switching + side step + crouch dash madness with Hwoarang, there's some crazy **** you can do that takes an awful lot of skill to perform correctly. That kind of thing is also the reason I think Tekken Tag is better than Soul Caliber by far.
Old October 6, 2003, 18:03   #87
Zero
King

those inputs are very easy to do. Its the timing thats tricky.

SC has plenty of JFs to make the game complcated, but the cmds minus timing isnt hard at all. Same goes with tekken. Take for instance, Ivy's JF hit combo off SR stance. Its just inputting ****ing jf b's... but I can never get all 5 (maybe I can get 3 on a good day), the timing is picky as hell. But cmd by itself is in no way difficult.

Same goes with Cervy's relaunch combo, it wouldnt be hard at all to do the combo, but its ALL about the timing, not the complexity of button input.

Besides I dont recall ever seeing a move complicated as Ivy's 376231 buffer setup in tekken (I might be wrong cause i would be considered a scrub to a tekken tourney player, so... )
Old October 6, 2003, 18:13   #88
Zero
King

BTW Let this thread not be based just for video games!
I said games didnt I? I bet I can kick all your asses in thumb wars... Im pretty damn good at it. Oh and break dancing and skateborading too. Well, maybe if you get extra pts for breaking bones in break dancing... I can win big time.

With that said, here's a picutre of my ass. I dont exactly remember what I was doing... maybe it was a hand stand into a flair... well i remember smacking my foot into the monitor you see on the picture. Mmmm Fun.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	pinwheel.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	54637  
Old October 6, 2003, 18:24   #89
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 09:08
You're legs are almost making a swastika! *shock* *horror*

Won't anyone think of the children?!
Old October 6, 2003, 19:46   #90
vee4473
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Asmodean
Am I the only one here who thoroughly dislikes the word "own" being used to describe someone's skill or lack thereof??

Asmodean
I hear ya.