Old September 22, 2003, 17:08   #1
Jeff_ATARI
Atari

Local Time: 04:08
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Civ Conquests presell CD
Dear Apolyton Civ fans,

I hope you've noticed an increasing presence of Atari, Firaxis, and Breakaway folks on Civ fansites such as Apolyton, especially the newly created Civ Conquests forum. Hopefully, you've enjoyed seeing all of us make occasional posts to keep you updated on our work. Though I admit we are more often lurkers than posters, I can assure you that we devour a lot of the info and opinions that you post here.

Now it's our chance to give something back to the fan community. Actually, it's also a chance for you to give something to yourselves.

This week we're announcing the new "Best of the Net" Bonus CD, which will be given away FREE to customers who pre-order Civ Conquests at selected retail outlets*. It contains some of the best Civ-related work created by our growing community of Civ fans, from sites such as Apolyton and Civ Fanatics. In addition to the fansite related content, the CD includes new soundtracks from Civ Conquests as well as some of the preview artwork and screenshots released for the game.

I would like to personally invite each of you to take advantage of this presell offer. But I want to emphasize that this is not just about me doing my job as a brand manager for the product. This is about giving the mod-makers here a foot in the door to make this happen again and again. This marks the first time that we've released a Best of the Net CD, and I have several people here at Atari watching the results closely. If we have a significant rise in pre-orders for Civ Conquests, it gives me ammunition to feature fan-created content in our future releases.

So, if you already know you're going to pick up Civ Conquests, why not help support fan sites such as Apolyton and Civfanatics (and the dedicated modders who post here) by making a trip to the store and placing a pre-order for the game. I know many of you visit both sites, so you've probably seen my other thread started there as well.

It's always a struggle for brand managers to quantify the effects of a strong fan community base, and to make sure the fans' thoughts, comments, and contributions are taken into account. In a way this is a referendum to show the world (both at retail stores and within Atari) that we should continue to use fan-created mods as a pre-sell giveaway, and that a strong fan community should be rewarded for their support of a game such as Civilization III.

Best,
Jeff Foley
Atari

* Retail outlets currently include: Electronics Boutique, GameStop, Electronics Boutique Canada, and Future Shop.
Online: EBworld.com, GameStop.com, and Amazon.com.

Gamestop has their online link up already at: http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=645419

If you pre-order the game online, you will get the pre-sell CD with your game when it ships. If you pre-order the game at a retail store, they should have the bonus CD there to give you, as early as this week.

As of this date the presell is not available outside of North America, but we're hoping to change some retailer's minds.
Jeff_ATARI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2003, 17:17   #2
statusperfect
King

Local Time: 11:08
It is great to have you around! Both that and the pre-order CD project is a great way to reduce the tensions there was between firaxis and the gamers after the PtW release

If this offer goes to Europe i will pre-order for sure.
statusperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2003, 18:56   #3
Kaos XIII
Warlord

It's always good to hear from Atari, Firaxis, Breakaway folks.

I've got just one question;

Can you be a bit more specific, about the contents in the 'Best of the Net' CD???
Old September 22, 2003, 20:12   #4
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 02:08
Thanks for the heads-up Jeff! I just placed my order for two copies of Conquests through Gamestop (with overnight delivery, of course. )
Old September 22, 2003, 21:13   #5
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Sweet

asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2003, 03:46   #6
Gunter
Warlord

Local Time: 09:08
When producers / developers chats with their fans it's always appreciated a lot and I thank you for coming and discussing.

Now let me give you a personal suggestion, fundamental part of professional games success and starting to include them ( even if in part ) into official Net CD is a concrete deposition of professional behaviour.

Well done,well done.

Please bear also in mind that another success key of a game is the level of customization that it has,therefore grant me to sugggest you to develop as much as you can this feature,maybe thinking also about a kind of " wizard " to import-export third part marvellous jobs ( graphic mods,units etc.. ) as the ones you mentioned in your statement.

Cheers & Thanks again from an old CIV series fan

Gunter

P.S. A short comment here in this forum of SID will be much appreciated as well
Gunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2003, 04:25   #7
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 10:08
Quote:
* Retail outlets currently include: Electronics Boutique, GameStop, Electronics Boutique Canada, and Future Shop.
Online: EBworld.com, GameStop.com, and Amazon.com.
Any European retailers or online shops as well? Gamestop charges a bundle, Amazon won't ship it to Europe at all, and EBWorld is all iffy about international orders in general.

(quite annoying that we're always treated as somehow less important then US costumers. later release dates, less/no goodies, later released patches, etc)
Old September 23, 2003, 19:55   #8
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Pre-purchased.
My EBoutique didn't have the Best of Net CD yet, though. I'll check again this weekend.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Jaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2003, 00:07   #9
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 18:08
I come from a land down under....

will your offer ever get below the equator...?
Old September 24, 2003, 00:18   #10
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Thanks Jeff. Now pre-ordered.

And thanks for including the Apolyton University mod.
Rhothaerill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2003, 00:25   #11
Tassadar500
Emperor

GREAT! I am very happy the AU mod was included Thanks Jeff. I would pre-order it but I HAVE A MAC. Jeff PLEASE make Conquests for the mac?
Tassadar500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2003, 04:32   #12
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

i really DO hope this pre-order offer (including the best of the net bonus CD) also comes at amazon.co.uk.

due to some export laws, amazon.com doesn't export to my country. so i've preordered it at the british website of amazon.

please please confirm this
Old September 24, 2003, 08:15   #13
player1
Emperor

Sorry for being off-topic but:

Red color hurts my eyes.
player1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2003, 09:06   #14
mrboo123
Rise of Nations MultiplayerC4DG VoxCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Local Time: 03:08
Question: Will you be able to get it AFTER its released? If so, will it cost anymore? (problay will)
Old September 24, 2003, 12:38   #15
Deathwalker
Prince

Local Time: 09:08
As is always the way we Europeans are left out, buts thats nothing new, look at how long it takes to translate from American to English. Is it true they can translate a ptach from American to German quicker than American to English or was that only the last patch
Old September 24, 2003, 13:13   #16
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

I pre ordered conquests weeks ago on Amazons UK page, will I get this bonus CD ? I hope so.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
ChrisiusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2003, 14:04   #17
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Quote:
As is always the way we Europeans are left out
we want a free CD with goodies too damnit.

Quote:
pre ordered conquests weeks ago on Amazons UK page, will I get this bonus CD ? I hope so.
same position here.
Old September 24, 2003, 22:24   #18
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Done! Can't wait Jeff!! Thanks for the heads up on a cool offer.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
PLATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2003, 13:41   #19
jkelly
Chieftain

Amazon
It's not as if I was going to pass on 'Conquests', so I went and cast my vote in your "referendum" by pre-ordering it from Amazon. I notice that their product description doesn't mention this giveaway.
Old September 25, 2003, 16:57   #20
Jeff_ATARI
Atari

Re: Amazon
Quote:
Originally posted by jkelly
It's not as if I was going to pass on 'Conquests', so I went and cast my vote in your "referendum" by pre-ordering it from Amazon. I notice that their product description doesn't mention this giveaway.
Thanks! I've contacted our rep with Amazon and they should be updating the site with the appropriate information shortly. And yes, you should be receiving the Bonus CD.

Best,
Jeff Foley
Atari
Old September 25, 2003, 17:00   #21
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

jeff, thanks for the answer to that other question.

but what about the european amazon retailers? (amazon.co.uk, amazon.de, amazon.fr)?
Old September 25, 2003, 17:03   #22
Jeff_ATARI
Atari

Not sure what will happen afterwards
Quote:
Originally posted by 123john321
Question: Will you be able to get it AFTER its released? If so, will it cost anymore? (problay will)
We've manufactured a certain number of CDs based on the initial forecasts at the stores participating in the pre-sell. If all goes well, we will blow through their forecasts and get to manufacture more of them. There are currently no plans to sell the Bonus CD separately, though I made sure a UPC number made its way onto the back of the packaging in case that ever did happen. However, I suspect that we will simply go through the inventory that we have made, create more if necessary, and then that will be that.

And as I've said, if we really move a lot of these, you can probably expect to see more of them in the future.

Best,
Jeff Foley
Atari
Old October 1, 2003, 10:35   #23
sabrewolf
Emperor

(bump)
so, amazon.co.uk too? (pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!)
Old October 1, 2003, 15:02   #24
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I'm curious if there's a deadline on pre orders from the US for the pre-sell CD.

Temporary Cash flow issues
joncnunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2003, 18:06   #25
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Local Time: 05:08
Quote:
Originally posted by joncnunn
I'm curious if there's a deadline on pre orders from the US for the pre-sell CD.

Better order before the release date!
Old October 1, 2003, 18:15   #26
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by joncnunn

Amazon, at least, doesn't charge until they ship.
Old October 1, 2003, 19:46   #27
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

On my way tomorrow to pre-order at EBCanada.

Great stuff! Thank you!
Old October 2, 2003, 00:43   #28
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Beta
On my way tomorrow to pre-order at EBCanada.

Great stuff! Thank you!
I went to my mall today to preorder, but the EB there didn't know what I was talking about. However Game Stop apparently did, but the cds were still in boxes, might go back tomorrow or saturday.
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2003, 10:19   #29
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel

I went to my mall today to preorder, but the EB there didn't know what I was talking about. However Game Stop apparently did, but the cds were still in boxes, might go back tomorrow or saturday.
That is what I am afraid of. But I will direct them to their own web site.
Old October 2, 2003, 12:54   #30
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Jeff could you please answer as to whether the CD will be available to those of us who have pre ordered from Amazon's UK page, yes or no please.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
ChrisiusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote