Old October 6, 2003, 14:05   #31
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 09:08
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisiusMaximus
Jeff could you please answer as to whether the CD will be available to those of us who have pre ordered from Amazon's UK page, yes or no please.
yeah I'd like to know this too
OPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2003, 11:04   #32
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 10:08
and me
Old October 8, 2003, 01:34   #33
Vince278
King

Saw the CD in my local store. Price on tag said $0.00. I'll have to see if my wife will let me work that into the budget.
Um, won't I need C3C to fully utilize the CD?
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)
Vince278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8, 2003, 02:35   #34
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

It seems the Europeans once more are on Atari's ignore list!!
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
ChrisiusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8, 2003, 04:09   #35
Generalissimo
Settler

Windows 2000
Hi Jeff

I have a Windows 2000 OS will i be able to run Civ3:Conquests on my PC?
Generalissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8, 2003, 06:21   #36
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

I guess that means no pre-sell outside NA.

I wonder how many UK retailers will even be selling C3C? I was in GAME yesterday and they didn't have it on the "squeduled for release" board and the bloke behind the counter hadn't heard of it. They did however, have about 200 copies of some lame gameboy advanve game.
Old October 8, 2003, 07:26   #37
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 11:08
OPD, it's probably known under civ3 expansion pack/disk 2. that's what the local gameshop keeper called C3C

as for special pre-sell-offer. it's one thing if it's only done in NA, but i think it's really weak, not getting an answer. i prefer an honest "no" than being ignored (and we know this thread is being read by atari).

however, if atari is planning the same offer with european retailers and because of that doesn't want to give any definate answer, i won't hesitate to apologise!
Old October 8, 2003, 13:33   #38
JimMac
Prince

Agreed,- Id rather have a "Sorry it cant be done,guys" than no reply. But it maybe the case that Atari in Europe are still trying to make it work?
JimMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2003, 03:07   #39
Vince278
King

Quote:
Originally posted by OPD
I guess that means no pre-sell outside NA.

I wonder how many UK retailers will even be selling C3C? I was in GAME yesterday and they didn't have it on the "squeduled for release" board and the bloke behind the counter hadn't heard of it. They did however, have about 200 copies of some lame gameboy advanve game.
I'm beginning to wonder if the two sides of the ocean aren't talking to each other for some reason. UFO-Aftermath was released in Europe last week but may not make it to the US until next week. Now I'm hearing that there are C3C issues in Europe. What gives?
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)
Vince278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2003, 05:18   #40
OPD
King

Hmmmmn I didn't mean to imply there are C3C issues in Europe. I plan on getting it from GAME online, they're taking orders for C3C and C3 gold, the last game I ordered from them was delivered to me within 22 hours of ordering it. Compared to Amazon who could only promise 1 - 2 weeks, of course it would be different with a pre-order but I'm sticking with GAME.
Old October 10, 2003, 13:48   #41
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Still no definite answers

I regulary check any threads Ive started to see if I need to answer any questions, if the answer is no then just say so please.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old October 10, 2003, 22:38   #42
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 03:08
As of this date the presell is not available outside of North America, but we're hoping to change some retailer's minds.

Does he need to answer something he already said?
notyoueither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2003, 03:58   #43
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Thanks NYE I had not seen that, how much does he pay you for being his secretary.

EDIT the question was originally about Amazon UK specifically, I would still appreciate a definite answer to it if possible.

It would be nice to have an update on the situation, ie have they, Atari managed to convince some European retailers. I assume you do not know that answer NYE but thanks for your input.

Last edited by ChrisiusMaximus; October 11, 2003 at 04:04.
Old October 12, 2003, 10:23   #44
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 11:08
oh, this is embarassing... i didn't see that

thanks NYE!
Old October 15, 2003, 18:03   #45
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Got the final verdict email from Amazon today

Quote:
Thanks for writing to us at Amazon.com.

The only information we can give you about the item "Civilization 3:
Conquests Expansion Pack" you ordered with us is what we display on
the detail page for this item. The offer which you have asked for is
NOT available with us at Amazon.com.

However, as this was not what you expected when you placed your
order, we would understand if you'd prefer to cancel it. You may
cancel unshipped items through the "Your Account" link at the top
right of our home page by clicking the link that says "Cancel items
or orders." After signing in with your e-mail address and password,
you will be able to view your order history and cancel your order
for any item that has not yet entered the shipping process.
Synopsis: if you preordered from Amazon you will NOT get the presell CD, Amazon even tells you to cancel your order with them and preorder from someone else.

Which I did.
GhengisFarb™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2003, 18:35   #46
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 02:08
Go to Gamestop and place your order with them Ghengis.
Old October 15, 2003, 18:36   #47
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Wittlich
Go to Gamestop and place your order with them Ghengis.
Is it www.Gamestop.com?

EDIT: Apparently so, don't you just love these automatic urls in our posts?

Last edited by GhengisFarb™; October 15, 2003 at 18:45.
Old October 15, 2003, 18:39   #48
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Yes, or just click on this link:
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=645419

Old October 15, 2003, 18:46   #49
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Thanks.

There you go Kiddos, if you want to get the presell cd don't stick with Amazon.
Old October 15, 2003, 19:24   #50
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:08
I already have it in my hands, from GameStop.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2003, 21:22   #51
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Ordered mine from GameStop a couple of hours ago.

Quote:
Dear Amazon.com Customer,

Your order has been successfully cancelled.

1 of Civilization 3: Conquests Expansion Pack
$0.00

Because you only pay for items when we ship them to you, you won't be
charged for any items that you cancel.

Thank you for visiting Amazon.com!
Old October 16, 2003, 15:27   #52
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

It is on the Amazon.com website as being available; it became available sometime yesterday:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...videogames&st=*

My only question is will I get it since I preordered before the offer was made available on Amazon? I don't want to cancel and re preorder since it would cost more now because I preordered when Amazon had it on sale.
kring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2003, 15:56   #53
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

They way the Customer Rep I talked to worded it, was that if it wasn't part of what you ordered WHEN you ordered it you wouldn't get it, but you might want to ask them to make sure, they told me no.
Old October 16, 2003, 16:05   #54
Jeff_ATARI
Atari

Local Time: 04:08
Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
Got the final verdict email from Amazon today

Synopsis: if you preordered from Amazon you will NOT get the presell CD, Amazon even tells you to cancel your order with them and preorder from someone else.

Which I did.
Hi guys,
Sorry I missed coming back to this thread, I see there have been some questions.

The information I received in September indicated that Amazon.com would include the presell CD with any preorder for Civ Conquests.

However, I have also seen evidence that online retailers in general do not always have the best internal communication.

Amazon U.S. did not put the presell order up until quite recently, after much prodding from our guys. I am raising a stink about the potential misinformation.

What can I say, except that ordering from GameStop.com or EBWorld.com may be a better option at this point in time.

As far as outside the United States, I've made the presell offer available to our brand managers around the world and they are pitching it to individual retailers. A retailer has to agree to carry a presell, because it means dealing with shipping costs for distribution, extra inventory management, etc. Presells are more prominent in some American retailer chains (especially GameStop and EBWorld) but they do have a place in other territories as well. I've received positive responses in Australia and with our European managers but I have nothing to announce as far as availability (even from Amazon... but we've already documented some of their woes on these forums, such as them advertising Play the World and Civ Conquests together for "one low price" -- never mind that PTW is included in Civ Conquests!)

Hope that answers your questions! And my apologies if some of these store managers are a bit behind the times. The reality of running a presell campaign is sometimes a little frightening -- I'm wondering how many managers "have no idea what you're talking about" because they still haven't opened the box that the presell CDs were shipped in...?

Best,
Jeff Foley
Atari
Jeff_ATARI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2003, 19:25   #55
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Quote:
They way the Customer Rep I talked to worded it, was that if it wasn't part of what you ordered WHEN you ordered it you wouldn't get it, but you might want to ask them to make sure, they told me no.
Here's the lousy response that I received from Amazon.com, and I have sent a follow-up email back to them:

Quote:
Thank you for writing to us at Amazon.com.

The only information we can give you about particular titles is
what
we display on the product information page: the title, edition,
publisher, publication date, price, and ISBN. Sometimes we
have a short synopsis, review and cover image.

We know that, often, the amount of information we have may make
it
difficult to make a purchasing decision unless you already know
something about the item. Our editorial staff is working on
building
up the amount of information we provide about each item.

You might also try the Web Search on our home page, directly
beneath
our Product Search box.

I hope this information helps. Thanks again for shopping at
Amazon.com.

Please let us know if this e-mail resolved your question:

If yes, click here:
http://www.amazon.com/resolved-yes?comm_id=
If not, click here:
http://www.amazon.com/resolved-no?comm_id=

Best regards,

Philip T.
Amazon.com Customer Service
http://www.amazon.com
That didn't answer my specific concern about not getting it. I don't know whether or not I will get it. I am not going to cancel my order and re preorder because it's no longer at the sale price at Amazon.com. Re ordering from Amazon.com or choosing one of the other two mentioned isn't worth it because I would have to pay a lot more for a FREE CD. Based on the way that Amazon has it set up, it does appear that I (and anyone else that preordered before the deal was put up) WON'T get the free CD without re ordering. My main reason for preordering was for the free CD. Otherwise, I would wait until a week or two after the game was released and pick it up at CompUSA or BestBuy for $10-15 less when it goes on sale.

I emailed them a third time seeing if they could add the Bonus CD to my order without losing the sale price because it appears that we won't get it if it isn't added to the order.

Last edited by kring; October 16, 2003 at 19:36.
Old October 16, 2003, 21:23   #56
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

@ Jeff - It wasn't your fault and I realized that even if you were aware it wouldn't be too diplomatic for you to outright tell us not to order from Amazon, so I just brought it up as a heads up since most everyone who preordered from them is expecting the free CD.

Trying to keep from having a WHOLE LOT of irate civvers come release day and it being too late to preorder.

@ kring- sounds like you're getting a similiar run around to what they originally gave me.
Old October 17, 2003, 10:45   #57
Jeff_ATARI
Atari

Local Time: 04:08
Quote:
@ Jeff - It wasn't your fault and I realized that even if you were aware it wouldn't be too diplomatic for you to outright tell us not to order from Amazon, so I just brought it up as a heads up since most everyone who preordered from them is expecting the free CD.
Thanks, GhengisFarb -- and I'm continuing to work with my contacts on my end to get this straightened out with Amazon to everyone's satisfaction.

Best,
Jeff Foley
Atari
Jeff_ATARI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2003, 13:17   #58
kring
King

I look forward to seeing the results of your efforts, Jeff. I don't plan on changing my order with Amazon, unless it is to cancel it altogether and I don't plan on reordering it from elsewhere if that happens.

Amazon has updated the release date to Nov 4, 2003 on its site.

Addited:

Latest response in reference to this ongoing nonsense:

Quote:
Thanks for writing to us at Amazon.com.

I have reviewed our previous correspondence with you, and I
offer my
sincere apologies for any misunderstanding thus far.

Please note that when you see the phrase "Great Buy" or "Better
Together" on a product information page, we are merely
suggesting
another item that you might be interested in buying. The
"Great Buy"
refers to our everyday discounts on the selected items; there
is no
additional discount for purchasing both items, although you do
save
on shipping charges by ordering them together.

However, some product information pages advertise a "Best
Value" if
you buy both that item and the second item. In these cases,
you
would receive an additional discount on the second item if you
choose
to purchase both items together. Again, I am sorry if this was
unclear on our web site.

We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you
again at
Amazon.com.

Please let us know if this e-mail resolved your question:

If yes, click here:
This in response to:

Quote:
COMMENTS: Would it be possible to add the Free CD offer to my current preorder without losing the sale price that was in effect on the original item?
I am not exactly sure how their response was supposed to answer my question.

Last edited by kring; October 17, 2003 at 13:35.
Old October 17, 2003, 14:29   #59
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Kring, it looks to me that Amazon doesn't have any idea about this "free bonus CD" that you're talking about!
Old October 17, 2003, 18:17   #60
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

I am definitely ordering my games from GameStop from now on.