Old October 18, 2003, 12:34   #61
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 04:08
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Looking at Amazons site now, looks to me like those that pre-ordered there prior to the bonus CD being on their site now need to click back on the site to add the bonus CD to their cart. I'm also thinking that they would charge shipping on the bonus CD with it being a seperate item that's obviously less than $25 (their free super saver threshold.) And Amazon still has Oct 28 listed as the release date.

I don't see how much shipping is at Game Stop. I do see that they have a shop in or near the closet Walmart shopping center to my place, and I'm thinking that local sales tax is probably less than shipping, but there's a disclaimer on prices that they might be more at their local retailers than online.
joncnunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2003, 04:31   #62
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 11:08
i believe the $25 offer on amazon is for the entire purchase. e.g. people wil just need to update their order without an increase in the cost
MarkG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2003, 15:45   #63
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 03:08
That isn't always possible. Some orders can't be updated to add stuff, which is what happened in my situation. My ongoing saga (and that's what it is turning into) is still in the back and forth email discussion stage. I am about ready to take the $10 Gift Voucher offer from EBGames.com if we can't reach a good resolution with Amazon.com.

Here is Amazon.com's policy on adding stuff to an order and combining orders:

Note: We're unable to combine or add items to the following types of orders:

Orders where items have already entered the shipping process
Orders to be sent via free Super Saver Shipping
Orders for gift certificates
Orders paid for in total by gift certificate
Replacement orders generated by our customer service department
Orders for cell phone products and services
Orders placed using a corporate account
Orders placed with Amazon Merchants
Orders placed on the Borders teamed with Amazon.com store, using Borders Gift Card funds
Orders placed on the Waldenbooks teamed with Amazon.com store, using Waldenbooks Gift Card funds
Gold Box orders

My order fell into the Super Saver Shipping and paid for in full by gift certificate categories. There are workarounds for those situations, but it is a big pain since I have tried numerous ways around this issue (It can be done because I found the workaround after ordering and canceling half a dozen times or more). If you don't meet any of the restrictions above, then you can add an item or combine orders. Be warned that if you exceed the Super Saver Shipping amount ($25), then the system views your order as Super Saver even if you opt to have it shipped some other way. I ran into this problem while I was trying to do the workaround. If you only order the Best of the Net CD by itself, you avoid the issue. It did allow me to preorder the BoN CD without Conquests, I don't know if it would ship it without the game or not.
kring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2003, 22:20   #64
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

After my latest response from Amazon.com, which strongly resembled verbatim their first response to me, EBGames.com is looking better and better, but I have emailed them one more time since I would like for one of their customer service support people to actually read all of my emails before responding with some lame canned response that in no way addresses my issue.

Thank you for the headsup on the EBGames.com offer, that $10 gift voucher would offset the extra cost of having to order it from EBGames.com.

The $25 Super Saver Shipping at Amazon.com is for the total order, so any order that exceeds that will qualify. It will take several days to a week longer delivery time than if you opt for one of the paid amounts.
Old October 21, 2003, 17:00   #65
The Pioneer
Prince

Local Time: 10:08
I know this is a little off topic here but since I am sure that Jeff is lurking around I would like to ask the same question I have asked in another thread.

@Jeff

How is the compatability. If I have a US version of the game and PTW can I order the UK version or do I have to get the US version?

Thanks for bringing us such a great game!

So long....
The Pioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2003, 17:20   #66
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 02:08
I ordered the game from Amazon.com on September 29th. I wrote on an email on Tuesday to make sure the free CD would be included. They responded with a long email back today ensuring it would.
Old October 22, 2003, 19:09   #67
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
i believe the $25 offer on amazon is for the entire purchase. e.g. people wil just need to update their order without an increase in the cost
I asked Amazon about that and they said no. They mumble jumbled about it but stated "they would fulfill all obligations they stated at the time the offer was accepted."
GhengisFarb™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2003, 21:42   #68
kring
King

Quote:
Originally posted by TheArsenal
I ordered the game from Amazon.com on September 29th. I wrote on an email on Tuesday to make sure the free CD would be included. They responded with a long email back today ensuring it would.
Did you order the Best of the Net CD when you ordered the game?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...videogames&st=*

If not, don't expect to get it; this is based on over 7+ emails received from Amazon.com over this one issue. If you ordered the Best of Net CD, then you are probably okay.

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb

I asked Amazon about that and they said no. They mumble jumbled about it but stated "they would fulfill all obligations they stated at the time the offer was accepted."
They seem to be good about mumbling.

From Amazon.com mentioned in my earlier post that would agree with their mumbling:

Note: We're unable to combine or add items to the following types of orders:
--snip--
Orders to be sent via free Super Saver Shipping
--snip--

You can't combine orders that are being sent using the Super Saver Shipping offer. I know this the hard way, I tried to combine orders about half dozen times and it wouldn't let me as long as Super Saver was part of any of the orders.
Old October 23, 2003, 04:28   #69
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

i tried to do a fresh order of both c3c and the bonus cd. the amazon page said i had qualified for super saver shipping...
Old October 23, 2003, 04:33   #70
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

and now amazon has drop the price to $26.99
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...olytonciviliza

and civ3 gold's to $29.99!!

Last edited by MarkG; October 23, 2003 at 05:02.
Old October 23, 2003, 05:26   #71
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

firaxis/atari: as amazon seems to make it quite complicated and europeans (at least right now), havn't got the chance to get the best of the net, why don't you publish the image legally online for download. with a couple of mirrors the bandwidth should be a problem
Old October 23, 2003, 07:22   #72
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

They will probably in a while, but putting it online now isn't going to want you to buy C3C more, is it.
alva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2003, 08:01   #73
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

yeah, clear

i don't mean immediatly, but maybe beginning of next year. i'm just afraid there are a lot of great scenarios and mods (eg. TETurkan's world, etc.) which have been specially created JUST for this CD and aren't published on the web. in that case it would be a shame.

but anyway... we've got enough to play with all the changes and conquests for a few months. but then the CD would be nice. in fact... i'd even pay an additional 10$/€ (incl. delivery), just to get this CD sent to me privatly
Old October 23, 2003, 09:26   #74
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by sabrewolf
i'm just afraid there are a lot of great scenarios and mods (eg. TETurkan's world, etc.) which have been specially created JUST for this CD and aren't published on the web.
Did TETurkan's stuff make it? I was still unsure if it made it onto the final cd or not.
Old October 23, 2003, 10:40   #75
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 02:08
Quote:
[SIZE=1] Originally posted by kring

Did you order the Best of the Net CD when you ordered the game?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...videogames&st=*

If not, don't expect to get it; this is based on over 7+ emails received from Amazon.com over this one issue. If you ordered the Best of Net CD, then you are probably okay.

I was assured at great lengths that the Best of the Web CD would be included in my package, although it was not originally listed at the time I made the order. I am uncertain as to why my experience is so much different than others here, but I am not complaining.
Old October 23, 2003, 13:20   #76
kring
King

Quote:
Originally posted by TheArsenal

I was assured at great lengths that the Best of the Web CD would be included in my package, although it was not originally listed at the time I made the order. I am uncertain as to why my experience is so much different than others here, but I am not complaining.
I hope you get the CD but don't be surprised if you don't. I have received more than 6 emails (and counting) from Amazon.com, and they all assured me at great lengths that I would NOT get the free CD offer unless I re ordered, or opted to add the CD to my past order after cancelling the Super Saver Shipping deal, which would add more than the cost of the CD.

I decided to re preorder since they were offering the original sale price that I received when I first pre ordered. This time I chose the added CD deal so I will get it.

Edited for spelling

Last edited by kring; October 26, 2003 at 18:35.
Old October 25, 2003, 11:22   #77
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Seems to have gone back up to $29.99

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
and now amazon has drop the price to $26.99
Old October 25, 2003, 17:14   #78
joncnunn
Emperor

Just preordered with EB Games. Lowest-price option for Shipping is $1.99, but they seem to know what their doing much more than Amazon based on this thread.
Old October 25, 2003, 17:18   #79
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 05:08
Quote:
So, if you already know you're going to pick up Civ Conquests, why not help support fan sites such as Apolyton and Civfanatics (and the dedicated modders who post here) by making a trip to the store and placing a pre-order for the game. I know many of you visit both sites, so you've probably seen my other thread started there as well.
Does this mean that some of the money from the sale of the Best of Net CD's will be given to Apolyton?
Old October 25, 2003, 18:26   #80
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Does this mean that some of the money from the sale of the Best of Net CD's will be given to Apolyton?
no, he is referring to pre-order/order links to amazon and other stores that we have for c3c and other games...
Old October 25, 2003, 22:34   #81
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by kring
I have receiived more than 6 emails (and counting) from Amazon.com, and they all assured me at great lengths that I would NOT get the free CD offer unless I re ordered, or opted to add the CD to my past order after cancelling the Super Saver Shipping deal, which would add more than the cost of the CD.
Ditto for me.