Old September 22, 2003, 17:45   #1
korn469
Emperor

Local Time: 04:08
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Wonder ideas for the NEXT expansion
I haven't been as involved this time around as what I was with either Civ3 or PtW so I know this couldn't make it to conquests, but anyways here are a few of my ideas for Civ3 wonders

Berlin Wall (or Iron Curtain)
The Manhatten Project must have been built before this wonder becomes available.

*it prevents all players from winning a diplomatic or cultural victory for 50 turns after it is built
*your cities are immune from cultural conversion

it becomes obsolete if you switch governments

Statue of Liberty
*for every four happy citizens you have all civs you are at war recieve one unhappy citizen

Opec
requires oil in the city radius

*provides 25 extra gold per turn for each oil resource in your control
*allows player to put an oil embargo on any civ which all other civs must comply with

those are just a few
what other interesting wonders would you like to see?
korn469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2003, 01:16   #2
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 11:08
Add this to the Berlin Wall:
- makes one content citizen unhappy in all of your cities.

Also:
- your cities are immune from cultural conversion for 50 turns after it is built

Even with the modified version, I'm not sure this is historically correct. Both Hungary and the Czech Republic flipped during the cold war, only they were retaken by military force.

So maybe it should be:
- the effect of your military units doubles in the city flipping formula as long as the Wall is in effect (50 turns or until you change government)

Disney Land - small wonder
- doubles your tourism income all across your empire
- prerequisites: it should be a late industrial tech, IMHO. So maybe The Corporation or Electronics? Or even Motorized Transportation (cars->more tourists) ?

Now, with only 2 or 3 obsolate wonders generating tourism gold I don't know whether this wonder would be worth building; however, if they extended the tourism formula (with certain luxuries - ivory, wine, exotic birds, volcanoes generating tourism gold and some city improvements- airport boosting it) it would make sense.
--Woody Allen

Last edited by Tiberius; September 23, 2003 at 01:52.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2003, 08:38   #3
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Re: Wonder ideas for the NEXT expansion
Quote:
Originally posted by korn469

Statue of Liberty
*for every four happy citizens you have all civs you are at war recieve one unhappy citizen
what if the SoL dramatically increased the rate of assimilation of captured population? Closer to what it is in real life, a tribute to immigrants (among other things)

I like the ideas though
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2003, 14:19   #4
G'Kar
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 03:08
Quote:
Berlin Wall (or Iron Curtain)
The Manhatten Project must have been built before this wonder becomes available.

*it prevents all players from winning a diplomatic or cultural victory for 50 turns after it is built
*your cities are immune from cultural conversion

it becomes obsolete if you switch governments
I like the idea. But I don't think it should become obsolete if you switch gov'ts. The reality in parts of the East was that the gov't could do whatever it wanted and there was little the populace could do about it.
G'Kar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2003, 14:32   #5
G'Kar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiberius

Even with the modified version, I'm not sure this is historically correct. Both Hungary and the Czech Republic flipped during the cold war, only they were retaken by military force.
Yes, but (unfortunately) there is no corollary between the relationship of Hungary & Czech Rep and the USSR and relations that are possible in Civ. Those countries were truly subservient. In Civ, even when you've beaten down a neighbor and you think you've vassalized them they're still free to do whatever they want, including declare war on you.

I wish we had something similar to the Pact of Brotherhood to Serve from SMAC. With that, civs could be independent but subservient.

Given that we're talking about part of a nation's own territory flipping, I think the Berlin Wall should stop it. After all, we know that Vladivostok could never have flipped to Japan in real life.
Old September 23, 2003, 14:36   #6
G'Kar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiberius
Disney Land - small wonder
- doubles your tourism income all across your empire
- prerequisites: it should be a late industrial tech, IMHO. So maybe The Corporation or Electronics? Or even Motorized Transportation (cars->more tourists) ?

Now, with only 2 or 3 obsolate wonders generating tourism gold I don't know whether this wonder would be worth building; however, if they extended the tourism formula (with certain luxuries - ivory, wine, exotic birds, volcanoes generating tourism gold and some city improvements- airport boosting it) it would make sense.
Are we sure that tourism is only related to obsolete wonders? If so Disney Land should probably have a happiness component for the city it's built in.
Old September 23, 2003, 16:25   #7
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Defcon5
Yes, but (unfortunately) there is no corollary between the relationship of Hungary & Czech Rep and the USSR and relations that are possible in Civ. Those countries were truly subservient. In Civ, even when you've beaten down a neighbor and you think you've vassalized them they're still free to do whatever they want, including declare war on you.

Given that we're talking about part of a nation's own territory flipping, I think the Berlin Wall should stop it. After all, we know that Vladivostok could never have flipped to Japan in real life.
It depends how do you look at the civs. A civ3 civilization is not necessarry a country (as you obviously see it), it is more like a nation, or something even wider, a cultural group. We obviously can't play civ with hundreds of civs, so civilizations are just as abstract as everything else in this game.
So when Hungary and the Czech Republic flipped, they flipped from the Sovjet "civ" to the Western European "civ", where they historically and culturally belong.
The easiest thing one can do to understand this is to imagine a European cold-war scenario (civ3 scenario): Hungary and the Czech Republic would be in fact two cities, Budapest and Prague, flipping to Germany and then being (re)occuppied by the USSR.
--Woody Allen
Old September 23, 2003, 16:27   #8
Tiberius
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Defcon5
Are we sure that tourism is only related to obsolete wonders? If so Disney Land should probably have a happiness component for the city it's built in.
I don't know anything about tourism. These are ideas for a possible future XP.
--Woody Allen
Old September 23, 2003, 23:44   #9
G'Kar
Prince

from the chat:
Quote:
Chieftess> can u explain how tourism works?
After 1000 years some Wonders start to produce an extra 2 commerce, it increases with time
Its only for Wonders that could be a Tourist attraction...for instance the Pyramids qualifies, but no tourists ever "visit" the Theory of Evolution
Tourist Attrations increase commerce to the city, this commerce increases the longer the wonder is around.
So I guess this means that wonders that could conceivably "attract" people to them become tourist attractions. But I'm not sure if this means all such wonders or just some.
Old September 24, 2003, 01:08   #10
Tiberius
Emperor

I believe it means all wonders that can actually be vizited. So "project wonders" (Theory of Evolution, Manhatten Project, Cure for Cancer) won't attract tourists. Probably even captured wonders will attract tourists after a while.

I still thing that tourism could be much more than that in civ, so I'll just keep my Disney Land proposal as it is (unless I hear a better idea, that is).
--Woody Allen
Old September 24, 2003, 14:23   #11
korn469
Emperor

Quote:
It depends how do you look at the civs. A civ3 civilization is not necessarry a country (as you obviously see it), it is more like a nation, or something even wider, a cultural group. We obviously can't play civ with hundreds of civs, so civilizations are just as abstract as everything else in this game.
So when Hungary and the Czech Republic flipped, they flipped from the Sovjet "civ" to the Western European "civ", where they historically and culturally belong.
The easiest thing one can do to understand this is to imagine a European cold-war scenario (civ3 scenario): Hungary and the Czech Republic would be in fact two cities, Budapest and Prague, flipping to Germany and then being (re)occuppied by the USSR
Tiberius, while I agree with just about everything you had to say, I disagree that Hungary and the Czech Republic flipped back to germany...

I think they rioted and went into civil disorder because of happiness, and the Soviets had to bring in military police to calm them down, but they didn't flip

As far as cultural flips go, the only things I can think of are the following

*China after being invaded many times sinocized the invades
*In england during the end of the roman period the peopled melted back into the general population
*The Mexicans breaking away from Spanish rule
*When texas broke away from Mexico because of an influx of American settlers
*To some extent the South Eastern US with the large number of illegal immigrants, and possibly Israel in the future because of the much higher Arab birthrate

hmmm but some of it gets more into civil wars and rebelions rather than cultural conquests, in any event though, I think this was two cities falling into disorder rather than flipping
Old September 24, 2003, 15:45   #12
Tiberius
Emperor

Korn, it wasn't just civil disorder. I'm not very sure about the Czechs, but in Hungary the events of 1956 were much more than just a rebellion.

It all started in 1953, with the end of the stalinist era. In 1953, Nagy -- the new prime minister-- was ready to liberalize the communist system, to reform it. In 1955, political orthodoxy seemed to take hold again and Rakosi and his stalinist comrades ousted Nagy.

However, in october 1956, encouraged by the changes from within the SU itself, students in Budapest marched in a peaceful demonstration. They demanded the withdrawal of Soviet troops, the formation of a multi-party system and the institution of free elections. They were joined by a wide segment of the population. Of course the communists couldn't allow this to happen and the next day fighting broke out all throughout Budapest. To placate the demonstrators Nagy is appointed as Prime Minister the following day. However, fighting continued in Budapest and spread throughout Hungary.
The revolution began.
(you can call these events as beeing the "civil disorder" part)

Nagy, suddently been thrust into the leadership role again, failed to connect at first with the crowds and seemed himself to be on the verge of being swept aside by popular currents. But over the course of the next week, Nagy apparently underwent a remarkable transformation, from a more or less dutiful pro-Moscow Communist to a politician willing to sanction unprecedented political, economic and social reform, including the establishment of a multi-party state in Hungary, and insistent on the withdrawal of all Soviet forces from the country.
On October 30, Nagy called for the formation of a new democratic, multiparty system. Noncommunist parties that had been suppressed almost a decade before began to reorganize. A coalition government emerged. After negotiations, Soviet officials agreed to remove their troops at the discretion of the Hungarian government, and Soviet troops began to leave Budapest.
By November 1, Nagy took the dramatic step of declaring Hungary's rejection of the Warsaw Pact and appealing to the United Nations for help in establishing the country's neutrality. The Western powers, which were involved in the Suez crisis and were not prepared to deal with an Eastern European revolution, did not respond.

The Soviets could not allow this to happen. On November 3, Soviet troops surrounded Budapest and closed the country's borders. Overnight they entered the capital and occupied the National Assembly building. On November 4, the formation of the new government was announced. Nagy had fled to the Yugoslav embassy, and about 200,000 Hungarians had escaped to the West (you will meet many americans whose parents had fled Hungary in 1956). Over the next five years, about 2,000 individuals were executed and about 25,000 imprisoned. In June 1958, the Hungarian government announced that Nagy and other government officials who had played key roles in the revolution had been secretly tried and executed.

The events of 1956 were officially declared "revolution" in 1989, IIRC, and Imre Nagy was reburied as a national hero.

So we have a a country (or a city, Budapest, in civ3 terms) changing government, actually changing its political system (communism -> democracy), announcing the withdrawal from a military pact (again, in civ3 terms, leaving the USSR) and asking its acceptance into a new "civ" (Western Europe); now this is what I'd call a flip, and not a "civil disorder". It was a flip that was both "rejected" by the west (not helped, actually) and suppressed by the SU. If the sovjets hadn't had enough army to send into Hungary, it'd have returned to the western european civilization 40 years earlier.
--Woody Allen
Old September 24, 2003, 16:03   #13
korn469
Emperor

i could agree with it being a rebuffed flip
Old September 24, 2003, 18:08   #14
Tiberius
Emperor

Anyway, your idea of the Berlin Wall is not bad at all.
--Woody Allen