Old September 23, 2003, 14:48   #1
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 04:10
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Love Won Out
LOVE WON OUT" MESSAGE HEARD IN TORONTO

Focus on the Family Canada brought a message of hope to homosexuals wanting to leave the gay lifestyle to the Toronto area on Saturday.

The "Love Won Out" conference seeks to help people in the church learn more about loving homosexuals out of their lifestyle. The one-day event at Churchill Heights Baptist Church in Scarborough attracted an overflow crowd of 942 people. It marked the first time the conference has been held in Canada.

"It is a myth that homosexuality is genetic, because really, it is developmental," conference speaker Mike Haley with Focus on the Family US told the Toronto Sun. "We want to show people that don't want to be there that there is a way out." And Haley should know, having himself lived 12 years in the gay lifestyle. He is now married with two sons. According to Grant Saip, director of ministry outreach at Focus Canada, the crowd responded to Haley's testimony with a standing ovation.

Conference organizers were aided by 1,000 volunteers, all of whom had responded to an appeal in a brochure publicizing the event. "We didn't make a single call [for volunteers]," says Saip. "All the volunteers came to us and said, 'We want to help.' For two weeks, we turned volunteers away because the positions were full. I think that really says something, that people have a heart and passion for this."

By contrast, only about 20 homosexuals showed up to peacefully protest the conference.
Old September 23, 2003, 14:50   #2
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 05:10
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old September 23, 2003, 14:51   #3
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

I'm sure they'll get a lot of volunteers to be "loved out"
Old September 23, 2003, 15:07   #4
MrFun
Emperor

Re: Love Won Out
Quote:
Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
LOVE WON OUT" MESSAGE HEARD IN TORONTO

Focus on the Family Canada brought a message of hope to homosexuals wanting to leave the gay lifestyle to the Toronto area on Saturday.

The "Love Won Out" conference seeks to help people in the church learn more about loving homosexuals out of their lifestyle. The one-day event at Churchill Heights Baptist Church in Scarborough attracted an overflow crowd of 942 people. It marked the first time the conference has been held in Canada.

"It is a myth that homosexuality is genetic, because really, it is developmental," conference speaker Mike Haley with Focus on the Family US told the Toronto Sun. "We want to show people that don't want to be there that there is a way out." And Haley should know, having himself lived 12 years in the gay lifestyle. He is now married with two sons. According to Grant Saip, director of ministry outreach at Focus Canada, the crowd responded to Haley's testimony with a standing ovation.

Conference organizers were aided by 1,000 volunteers, all of whom had responded to an appeal in a brochure publicizing the event. "We didn't make a single call [for volunteers]," says Saip. "All the volunteers came to us and said, 'We want to help.' For two weeks, we turned volunteers away because the positions were full. I think that really says something, that people have a heart and passion for this."

By contrast, only about 20 homosexuals showed up to peacefully protest the conference.
fvck this

Even if sexual orientation is not genetic, does not necessarily mean that it can flipped off and on between sexual orientations like a light switch.
Old September 23, 2003, 15:10   #5
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 12:10
btw, is that question answered? is there a gay gene?
Old September 23, 2003, 15:14   #6
MrFun
Emperor

No -- we still do not know for certain how sexual orientation develops -- I used to believe the genetic theory exclusively, but now I'm not so sure.
Old September 23, 2003, 15:20   #7
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Dear Toronto Christians:

I am a 41 year old man with impeccable fashion sense, a great eye for home decorating, a love of bizarre fusion cuisines, and both Judy Garland and Pet Shop Boys cds in my music collection.

I feel I may be "at risk." Please send young women, immediately.

Kisses,

RTF
Old September 23, 2003, 15:41   #8
MrFun
Emperor

Old September 23, 2003, 20:16   #9
molly bloom
King

Local Time: 19:10
Re: Love Won Out
Quote:

Because the rest of us them were on Yonge Street enjoying themselves, or getting on with their lives, instead of interfering in other people's.

As opposed to these meddling 'Christian' busybodies.

Still, the dress sense of that many accumulated fundie Christians must have afforded the '20 or so' homosexuals no end of amusement.

I don't know what you're talking about by international law. G.W. Bush, 12/03
Old September 23, 2003, 21:03   #10
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
does not necessarily mean that it can flipped off and on between sexual orientations like a light switch.
Mr. Fun:

Where in the article does it assume that it is easy to switch? I agree that it takes work and the person has to be dissatisfied by their lifestyle in order to follow through.

molly bloom:

Quote:
As opposed to these meddling 'Christian' busybodies.
What would be Christian? Ignoring them?
Old September 23, 2003, 21:17   #11
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 09:10
Quote:

Burning them at the stake.

Do It Ourselves
Old September 23, 2003, 21:28   #12
molly bloom
King

Local Time: 19:10
Quote:

molly bloom:

Being concerned with motes in other people's eyes, whilst being unconcerned with great oaken beams in their own.

Are their own lives really so good, so perfect, that they can spend time 'redeeming' others?

Frankly anyone who judges me morally without knowing me personally, I find a little lacking- I don't judge you because of your sexuality, for instance. And if I can allegedly change my 'preference' why can't you change yours?

By the way, what is this 'gay' lifestyle that these people keep referring to? Is there somewhere I can sign up for it, because by all accounts, I appear to be missing out on it.

I don't know what you're talking about by international law. G.W. Bush, 12/03
Old September 23, 2003, 22:19   #13
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Torontonians are ignoring these people until they go away.
Old September 23, 2003, 23:01   #14
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:

Mr. Fun:

Where in the article does it assume that it is easy to switch? I agree that it takes work and the person has to be dissatisfied by their lifestyle in order to follow through.

I'm not saying that just because it's difficult to change one's sexual orientation, that we should not try to change it.

I'm saying that one cannot change their sexual orientation, period.
Old September 23, 2003, 23:10   #15
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun

I'm not saying that just because it's difficult to change one's sexual orientation, that we should not try to change it.

I'm saying that one cannot change their sexual orientation, period.
It's probably possible in a lot of cases, but it's definitely not necessary.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old September 23, 2003, 23:13   #16
MrFun
Emperor

Well then it might be possible for a black guy to paint himself white, and declared that he changed his race.
Old September 23, 2003, 23:38   #17
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

MrFun, I realize that you need to keep the "we can't change" attitude so that people won't just think that they can "turn you straight," but it is clear that someone can change sexualities either way during their lifetime.

Old September 23, 2003, 23:50   #18
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 20:10
Just because some can, doesn't necessarily mean that everyone can. Nor does it mean that someone should.
Old September 23, 2003, 23:51   #19
MrFun
Emperor

Nope, they can't.

Just as a black person cannot change his/her race by painting themselves white, a homosexual cannot change his/her sexual orientation by marrying someone of the opposite gender.
Old September 23, 2003, 23:59   #20
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I hear that Sports Illustrated is branching otu into this area. Let's see how many of you can resist the "Swimsuit Issue" therapy.
Old September 24, 2003, 00:01   #21
MrFun
Emperor

Hey guess what . . .

the hottest babe does absolutely nothing for me.

Cindy Crawford -- nada

Jennifer Love Hewitt -- zilch

Pamela Anderson -- no thanks

and so on, and so on . . .
Old September 24, 2003, 00:03   #22
Drake Tungsten
Deity

You are clearly deranged, Mr. Fun. And not just because you mentioned Jennifer Love Hewitt's name in the same breath as Cindy Crawford's...
Old September 24, 2003, 00:04   #23
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Just because some can, doesn't necessarily mean that everyone can. Nor does it mean that someone should.
Isn't that basically what I said in my first post?

Quote:
It's probably possible in a lot of cases, but it's definitely not necessary.

MrFun:

Quote:
Nope, they can't.

Just as a black person cannot change his/her race by painting themselves white, a homosexual cannot change his/her sexual orientation by marrying someone of the opposite gender.
What do you make of formerly gay people who end up in heterosexual marriages, and formerly heterosexual people who switch to homosexuality?

Skin color, facial features, etc. are caused entirely by the genes of the parents. Homosexuality may have many factors involved, but none of them are hereditary.

I have the same end opinion on most gay-related issues as you. I just think that a lot of your reasoning is faulty.

Old September 24, 2003, 00:05   #24
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Hey guess what . . .

the hottest babe does absolutely nothing for me.

Cindy Crawford -- nada

Jennifer Love Hewitt -- zilch

Pamela Anderson -- no thanks

and so on, and so on . . .
You think that people think they're hot?

Old September 24, 2003, 00:06   #25
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaguar Warrior

What do you make of formerly gay people who end up in heterosexual marriages, and formerly heterosexual people who switch to homosexuality?

Skin color, facial features, etc. are caused entirely by the genes of the parents. Homosexuality may have many factors involved, but none of them are hereditary.

I have the same end opinion on most gay-related issues as you. I just think that a lot of your reasoning is faulty.
As I stated already -- you can act straight by getting married, getting a suburban home with the picket white fence, a pet dog named Fido, and then pop out 2.5 children.

But you will still be gay for the rest of your life while living the lie of being straight.
Old September 24, 2003, 00:06   #26
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Quote:
Isn't that basically what I said in my first post?
And wasn't I basically agreeing with you?
Old September 24, 2003, 00:09   #27
Skanky Burns

Quote:
As I stated already -- you can act straight by getting married, getting a suburban home with the picket white fence, a pet dog named Fido, and then pop out 2.5 children.

But you will still be gay for the rest of your life while living the lie of being straight.
Thats not exactly "changing sexual preference", now, is it?
Old September 24, 2003, 00:09   #28
MrFun
Emperor

Exactly -- it's not.
Old September 24, 2003, 00:11   #29
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:

What about people who have been married for a while, and then divorce and become homosexual after that. Do you think they were just always gay, or do you think that the bad experience with the opposite gender helped make them "switch.?"

Old September 24, 2003, 00:13   #30
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:

What about people who have been married for a while, and then divorce and become homosexual after that. Do you think they were just always gay, or do you think that the bad experience with the opposite gender helped make them "switch.?"
I have talked with many homosexual men who are older than me, who have been married and divorced, or are still married.

Guess what all of those guys I talked with said in one form or another . . .

they were gay before they ever married.