Old September 24, 2003, 06:19   #1
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 10:12
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Agriculture = Ultimate ICS trait = Too Powerful?
IMHO, Civ3 was already quite a game of ICS-ing. But now with Agriculture, it gets even worse. Extra food means faster pop growth means more settlers can be build means even more expansion.

I know which civs I'll play as. ICS-ing all the way.
Old September 24, 2003, 08:06   #2
statusperfect
King

Local Time: 11:12
And i know which civ i will play building mines with my industrial workers and rolling over your landfat country with my militaristic horsemen

I think the old traits are equal with the new ones.

This has been playtested by hundreds of people.
statusperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2003, 09:02   #3
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

from another thread, but it fits here

Quote:
What will be the benefits for the Agriculture & Seafaring traits?
Agricultural recieves a bonus food in its City square.
and Agr gets extra food on irrigated desert
agricultural also gets cheaper aqueducts, recycling plants and solar plants.
And if the Agr city tile is next to water the despotism penalty doesn't apply to its food
(source: CFC - chat, edited version)
imho argicultural sounds like an extremely powerful trait, somewhere in the region of industrial.
- no despotism penalty if city is near water, makes cities destined for rexing. the only disadvantage is that OCP or similar concepts might be broken (until now the only disadvantage was that the aqueduct had to be built)
- a bad start on a dry map (desert) is like starting with loads of plains (2f, 1s)
- cheaper aqueducts

edit: forgot to close quote

Last edited by sabrewolf; September 24, 2003 at 09:18.
sabrewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2003, 09:11   #4
statusperfect
King

If it is next to a river the despotism restriction doesn't apply o the city tiles food production that is
statusperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2003, 10:31   #5
Saint Marcus
King

Quote:
I think the old traits are equal with the new ones.

This has been playtested by hundreds of people.
Hardly. and playtesting doesn't mean a thing (since they mostly test for technical flaws and not playability flaws).

And we all know that ICS is THE way to go in Civ, Civ2 and Civ3. With this trait, it suddenly becomes a whole lots easier since your civ is likely to produce food faster and is thus able to build more settlers, and thus expand faster.

I'll play an Agricultural-Industrious/Religious nation, for sure.
Old September 24, 2003, 11:08   #6
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 05:12
I wouldn't say that "we all know that ICS is the way to go" in CivIII. First off, I guess it depends on what you consider to be ICS. If you're talking about city-tile-city, then I really don't think ICS is the way to go in CivIII. City-tile-tile-city... well, that one could certainly argue.

Having said that, pop IS power. Extra food is nothing to sneeze at, and even if you don't plop cities down every other tile, the increased growth rate (and the added ease with which you can get cities up to the magical +5 food/turn) is going to be powerful.

Cheaper aqueducts (assuming the standard 50% discount) could also be big, since that will save you 50 shields per non-lake/river city. It's not quite the shield saver that religious or scientific are, but coupled with the food boost it's lookin' mighty juicy.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Arrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2003, 11:14   #7
Louis XXIV
C4WDG Stratega
Prince

Local Time: 04:12
One flaw with Agricultual civs that are overlooked.

The Despotism penalty removal only applies to the center-square when you have water nearby.

Do you know how much food you will get from the center square in Despotism without water nearby?
The answer is 2.
In Despotism, you loose 1 food if you are over 2 food. The default is 2, Agricultural gives you 3 (-1 for Despotism and you end up with 2).

You have to build on water to have any effect until Monarchy or Republic
Old September 24, 2003, 11:17   #8
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

True. That is a weakness. But I often manage to get a good number of cities built on fresh water (I assume ocean doesn't count), so I do expect I'd get quite a boost from this trait in many of my games.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Arrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2003, 13:41   #9
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I think an ag/exp civ would be quite nice. quick graineries with that extra food. mmm.

The seafaring trait actually seems to be more powerful than the ag trait IMHO, with that extra movement and reduced sinking along with the other stuff (that I obviously can't remember )

If that civ got the Lighthouse, you're looking at 5 move galleys. Early naval warfare is that much more accessible.
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2003, 13:56   #10
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Agricultural does not make ICS more powerful in particular, because you only get extra Food in cities that are adjacent to fresh water. ICS is defined by placing as many cities anywhere; Agricultural only benefits those cities that are in specific locations (by fresh water). Agricultural makes growth in general powerful. Growth is not particular to ICS.

If you're the type to reload to find those perfect River-full starts (with a couple of Cattle, why not?), you're going to have an explosive start with Agricultural. Then again, you would have an explosive start with any other trait if you do this, so what's the difference? On average Agriculural should not be overly powerful.

Dominae
Old September 24, 2003, 14:06   #11
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dominae
Agricultural does not make ICS more powerful in particular, because you only get extra Food in cities that are adjacent to fresh water. ICS is defined by placing as many cities anywhere; Agricultural only benefits those cities that are in specific locations (by fresh water). Agricultural makes growth in general powerful. Growth is not particular to ICS.

If you're the type to reload to find those perfect River-full starts (with a couple of Cattle, why not?), you're going to have an explosive start with Agricultural. Then again, you would have an explosive start with any other trait if you do this, so what's the difference? On average Agriculural should not be overly powerful.

Dominae
I agree. To me it seems like the ag trait is best for players who don't reload, as it makes a desert start much more viable.For some reason, It seems i'm much more likely to start adjacent to jungle than desert, however. So instead of a killer, for me, its more of an equalizer.
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2003, 14:16   #12
Dominae
Emperor

If you're playing Agr. and your Jungle city is by a River, you're still guaranteed "normal" (10-turn) growth. Let's poprush some Temples!

Dominae
Old September 24, 2003, 16:17   #13
Merepatra
BreakAway Games

Local Time: 09:12
Quote:
Originally posted by Saint Marcus

Hardly. and playtesting doesn't mean a thing (since they mostly test for technical flaws and not playability flaws).
This certainly wasn't true with Conquests testing. While technical testing is really important, playability was a major focus of most of the beta testing.

Our beta testers included a lot of rabid Civers debating every tiny playability point
Merepatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2003, 16:48   #14
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Is the extra food from the city square present at the start?

If so then a city next to a river with a single grassland cow will start with 5 food per turn........ without even irrigating anything......

size 6 after 20 turns?

Perhaps, if adjacent to water, the penalty is imposed at 3 food rather than at 2 food.
Old September 24, 2003, 17:02   #15
Dominae
Emperor

Actually an unimproved Grassland with Cattle tile produces +3 Food per turn, meaning that on turn 1 an Agr. civ's capital has +4 Food per turn when working such a tile. You would need to start next to a Flood Plains with Wheat to get +5 Food per turn on turn 1.

Dominae
Old September 24, 2003, 17:18   #16
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Not if the extra food from the city square present at the start.

4 food from the cow plus 3 in the city square

I think I'm going to assume that the extra food in the city square doesn't kick in untill size 7
Old September 24, 2003, 17:24   #17
Dominae
Emperor

You only get 4 Food from the Cattle once it gets Irrigation. It's only the city centre tile that does not suffer from the despotic tile penalty.

2 (Grassland) + 2 (Cattle) - 1 (Despotism) = 3
3 (Cattle) + 3 (Centre) - 2 (Pop) = 4

Dominae
Old September 24, 2003, 17:37   #18
OPD
King

ah I see :bonk:

A bit confused perhpas, I understood it to mean all tiles do not suffer teh -1 penalty if next to water.

That would have been cool.

So they only get desert as plains, cheaper aquaducts etc and +1 food?

In this case it's kinda cancelled out should you get a relatively poor start location. A grassland cow is better than +1 in the city square.
Old September 24, 2003, 17:44   #19
Dominae
Emperor

Every start without a Grassland Cattle is "poor"?!

Dominae
Old September 24, 2003, 17:54   #20
OPD
King

Yeah but perhaps your neighbour with 2 cows will be laughing at your agricultural trait if you only have 1 cow. Especially when he has them both irrigated before you with his industrial worker.

-1 food at 3 rather than 2 under Despo would have been cool for agricultural, irrigating bonus GL

Perhaps agricultural will have more chance of a better start, I guess it's possible if sea-faring is more likely to start on coast. That would make it powerful.
Old September 25, 2003, 07:20   #21
Saint Marcus
King

Quote:
This certainly wasn't true with Conquests testing. While technical testing is really important, playability was a major focus of most of the beta testing.

Our beta testers included a lot of rabid Civers debating every tiny playability point
I stand corrected. Conquests seem to be a rare exeption. In my experience as a professional playtester, and judging by most games (Including Civ3 vanilla & PTW by the looks of it), playability playtesting is hardly ever a priority. But I'm glad Conquests is different, I guess they did learn something from PTW.

Quote:
So they only get desert as plains, cheaper aquaducts etc and +1 food?
As said, perfect for ICS (c, t, t, c), or at least extremely rapid expansion. Unballancing, it seems.
Old September 25, 2003, 08:56   #22
KenderBane
Chieftain

Everything else aside, I'm hoping that none of the new 'standard' civs are both agricultural AND industrial.

Fast pop growth + Fast production = OUCH!

That combo will be tough to stop even if its UU sucks.
Old September 25, 2003, 10:35   #23
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

One of the old civs could be agr-ind, too. They are reshuffling all the civs based on the new traits (maybe not all of them, but certainly some).
--Woody Allen
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2003, 11:07   #24
OPD
King

+1 food isn't really unbalancing, no equalization of start locations is. As initail food has such an impact on the game.

I'd still rather have a cow than be agricultural.
Too much is dependant, if you have alot of fresh water it could be potent, but I guarentee anytime I play as Agri there won't be too much water around.
Cheap aquaducts? If you have to build an aqua then you didn't even get your +1 at the start. I suppose cheap granaries was too unbalancing?

Agricultural doesn't look too hot imo,
With Industrial declining perhaps the Babylonians are the way of the future, if they keep the same traits that is.
Old September 25, 2003, 11:21   #25
OPD
King

Cheap aqua is a nice touch though

I suppose all citys with +1 was perhaps too powerful so cities w/o the +1 get this as compensation.
Old September 25, 2003, 17:59   #26
WarpStorm
King

Quote:
Originally posted by KenderBane
Everything else aside, I'm hoping that none of the new 'standard' civs are both agricultural AND industrial.
At least one of the Civs has each combination of traits.
Old September 26, 2003, 00:21   #27
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
I'd bet Americans are.
Old September 26, 2003, 03:29   #28
player1
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by KenderBane
Well, Industrial trait did get toned down (50% instead 100% worker bonus).
player1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2003, 16:24   #29
Myrddin
Warlord

Quote:
I'd bet Americans are.
I would assume that the Americans will remain Expansionist, as will the Russsians. After that it is quite difficult to identify who will be expnsionist
Old September 26, 2003, 16:52   #30
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Well, Russia isn't known for Farming or Seafaring, so Russia's traights likely to remain as they currently are.

Well, a real world America would have Industrial, Farming, Expansionist, Seafaring, Commerical, and Scientific. But that would make them no fun to play. (Too easy)

Most likely, America will be Industrial & Farming.
joncnunn is offline   Reply With Quote