Old September 24, 2003, 08:22   #1
statusperfect
King

Local Time: 11:12
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Temple of Artemis - Warmonger Wonder?
The temple of artemis gives a free temple in every city... think about it... isn't that even better then Zun Tzu when it comes to conquest?
statusperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2003, 08:50   #2
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

wow... that really is a must-have wonder! no need to worry about flipping because you've got culture from the second turn on!

and from the 6th turn on you've got the full city radius (so also less enemy territory to move through!)

i once made this in one of my mods but it was way too overpowered!
Old September 24, 2003, 11:03   #3
Louis XXIV
C4WDG Stratega
Prince

Local Time: 04:12
It is only continental, and, who knows, it might expire early.

The Mausoleum (I don't care if that is spelled right) gives 3 content people in the builder's city. Its like the Hanging Gardens, only it doesn't effect any other city (Much worse)

I think obviously the best wonder is the Statue of Zeus. It basically gives you a free Galic Swordman every 5 turns, all you need is ivory.
Old September 24, 2003, 11:12   #4
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

there - you mentioned 2 weaknesses

Quote:
every 5 turns
that's not a really lot. maybe if it's a cheap and early wonder. but as it's greek, it'll probably come with philosophy or polytheism, so not too early. by then you've got enough more important wonders to rush for (e.g. GLib, GLight).

but i agree that the wonder relatively speaking is a lot more powerful than the templar knight-thingy. that's a lot later (early-middle medieval age) and 1 unit every 5 turns isn't much at all...

Quote:
all you need is ivory
i don't often start near to ivory
at least you don't need to worry about too many other civs trying to build it too
Old September 24, 2003, 11:14   #5
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 05:12
For a non-religious civ, I could see the ToA being pretty damn strong. The question is, if it expires, do you suddenly lose all of those temples? Yikes! That doesn't seem likely, so let's say it doesn't expire. Then we're talking about a very powerful wonder. I mean, just the culture alone!

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Arrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2003, 11:18   #6
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 10:12
It also means that if an AI civ builds it you know who to kill first (and which city to head for as a priority).
Old September 24, 2003, 13:36   #7
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
For a non-religious civ, I could see the ToA being pretty damn strong. The question is, if it expires, do you suddenly lose all of those temples? Yikes!
yeah, and since you can't build a temple if you already have a free one, then that might be a rub.

My hope would be that it would give a permanent temple, just the effects would expire and new cities on the continent would no longer have them.

I can see a strat based on waiting to attack the turn the civ that built it gets the obsolecense tech.
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2003, 16:28   #8
Merepatra
BreakAway Games

Local Time: 09:12
Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
For a non-religious civ, I could see the ToA being pretty damn strong. The question is, if it expires, do you suddenly lose all of those temples? Yikes! That doesn't seem likely, so let's say it doesn't expire. Then we're talking about a very powerful wonder. I mean, just the culture alone!

-Arrian
It expires with Education, and you do lose the Temples too. But it still can be a very strong early Wonder.
Merepatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2003, 16:35   #9
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Merepatra

It expires with Education, and you do lose the Temples too. But it still can be a very strong early Wonder.
Intriguing.

Interesting trade offs. Not only do you lose the temples, the replacements will only create 2 culture/turn as opposed to the others that probably put out at least 4. Interesting.

What this probably means is I have another reason to delay getting Education, the other is the Library slingshot.
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2003, 17:25   #10
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 10:12
This is interesting for a religious civ since discovering education will wipe out your temples but by that stage a large city should be able to put up a cheap temple in a couple of turns. The only downside is the reduced culture because your temples won't be >1000 years old.

If the AI manages this wonder it is another reason to beeline education and sell it to all the AI's - assuming they will still pay high prices for a tech that kills a strong GW.
Old September 24, 2003, 19:10   #11
Louis XXIV
C4WDG Stratega
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by sabrewolf but as it's greek, it'll probably come with philosophy or polytheism, so not too early. by then you've got enough more important wonders to rush for (e.g. GLib, GLight).
You get it at Math.
Old September 25, 2003, 07:24   #12
Gunter
Warlord

Local Time: 09:12
Quote:
Originally posted by CerberusIV
It also means that if an AI civ builds it you know who to kill first (and which city to head for as a priority).

Yes, I fullly agree !

Gunter
Gunter is offline   Reply With Quote