Old September 24, 2003, 13:03   #1
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 11:13
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Pbem
There were very few questions at the chat about multiplayer and I believe none at all about PBEM, neither have I read about this in the reviews.

One of the most annoying lack of features in PBEM is the fact that you can't see what has happened to your units and cities during the other players' (AI or human) turns. One can actually lose a city without noticing it, not to talk about units. I can accept that I lost a city/unit, but at least I'd like to know what happened? Was that a fight or a culture flip? How many enemies died during the attempt? Have I hurt them at least?

It has been asked by PBEM players for ages, yet no response yet: could civ include a replay capability for PBEM games, or at least an event log ? Please?! Pretty please ?!

Edit: typo
--Woody Allen

Last edited by Tiberius; September 24, 2003 at 13:33.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2003, 13:15   #2
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 10:13
It definitely needs sorting out.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
ChrisiusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2003, 13:17   #3
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 05:13
I'd love to see a replay or log feature.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Arrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2003, 13:41   #4
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Also, another irritating "feature" of PBEM:

The game preferences are saved in the savegame, so I load other peoples preferences when loading a PBEM game. Very annoying
--Woody Allen
Old September 25, 2003, 00:24   #5
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 04:13
Re: Pbem
Quote:
Originally posted by Tiberius
There were very few questions at the chat about multiplayer and I believe none at all about PBEM, neither have I read about this in the reviews.

One of the most annoying lack of features in PBEM is the fact that you can't see what has happened to your units and cities during the other players' (AI or human) turns. One can actually lose a city without noticing it, not to talk about units. I can accept that I lost a city/unit, but at least I'd like to know what happened? Was that a fight or a culture flip? How many enemies died during the attempt? Have I hurt them at least?

It has been asked by PBEM players for ages, yet no response yet: could civ include a replay capability for PBEM games, or at least an event log ? Please?! Pretty please ?!

Edit: typo
IIRC, someone in another thread mentioned that you should be able to see the other players' moves now. A welcome addition if true.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
PLATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2003, 01:01   #6
Tiberius
Emperor

That would be awesome. I'm waiting for an official confirmation, though. Is this true or not?
--Woody Allen
Old September 25, 2003, 03:04   #7
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 03:13
Quote:
Originally posted by Tiberius
Also, another irritating "feature" of PBEM:

The game preferences are saved in the savegame, so I load other peoples preferences when loading a PBEM game. Very annoying
I think there are certain .ini commands to avoid all that. I've been bugging the Breakaway staff for weeks for them to release a complete or partial list of the .ini commands, most of which are unknown to users yet are very powerful to customize the game.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Master Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2003, 04:12   #8
Tiberius
Emperor

Thanks MZ

I know you can't disclose too much, but has been PBEM in any way enhanced?
--Woody Allen