Old September 24, 2003, 13:33   #1
Thorn
Prince

Local Time: 05:13
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Damn those Telemarkerters!!!
How the hell do I get rid of these bastards now, they are annoying? I just want to reach through the phone and strangle them!

Quote:
Court Rules Against Do-Not-Call Registry

By JENNIFER L. BROWN, Associated Press Writer

OKLAHOMA CITY - A federal judge has ruled that the Federal Trade Commission overstepped its authority in creating the national "do-not-call" list against telemarketers.

The ruling Tuesday came in a lawsuit brought by telemarketers who challenged the list of 50 million people who said they do not want to receive business solicitation calls. The list was to go into effect Oct. 1.

U.S. District Judge Lee R. West said the main issue in the case was "whether the FTC had the authority to promulgate a national do-not-call registry. The court finds it did not."

House Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman Billy Tauzin, R-La., and Rep. John Dingell, D-Mich., said Wednesday they were confident the ruling would be overturned and believe Congress did give the FTC the necessary authority.

"We will continue to monitor the situation and will take whatever legislative action is necessary to ensure consumers can stop intrusive calls from unwanted telemarketers," they said in a joint statement.

Calls to the FTC were not immediately returned Wednesday.

Direct Marketing Association Inc., one of the plaintiffs, said it was happy with the ruling, even though it "acknowledges the wishes of millions of U.S. consumers who have expressed their preferences not to receive telephone-marketing solicitations — as evidenced by the millions of phone numbers registered on the FTC list."

The suit was filed by DMA, U.S. Security, Chartered Benefit Services Inc., Global Contact Services Inc. and InfoCision Management Corp.

The telemarketing industry estimates the do-not-call list could cut its business in half, costing it up to $50 billion in sales each year.

More than a dozen states with do-not-call lists planned to add their lists to the national registry this summer, the FTC said.

Telemarketers would have to check the list every three months to see who doesn't want to be called. Those who call listed people could be fined up to $11,000 for each violation.
Old September 24, 2003, 13:36   #2
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 03:13
I agree. **** THE TELEMARKETERS. **** THEM ALL.

What's next? State-level do-not-call lists ruled as an abuse of government power against the oh-so-innocent telemarketers?

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old September 24, 2003, 13:42   #3
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 11:13
I suggest you search "Tom Mabe" on google, and your favourite file sharing application.
Old September 24, 2003, 13:43   #4
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 01:13
They went to a friendly court. The chances of this ruling not being overturned on appeal are about zero.

There is no "free speech" right to telephone residences of people who don't want to be bothered, and the Congress gave the FTC the statutory authority for the list.
Old September 24, 2003, 13:45   #5
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 09:13
Then I guess all "No Soliciting" signs and "No Trespassing" signs should be ignored too... What a dip-sheit decission, is this Judge West on the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals or all judges just out right stupid?
Old September 24, 2003, 13:48   #6
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Can we reroute all our telemarketing calls to this judge?
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old September 24, 2003, 13:49   #7
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

It's a judge from one of the FDC's in Oklahoma.
Old September 24, 2003, 13:49   #8
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

I hope the ruling is overturned. Then Uncle Sam can send the bill for a frivolous lawsuit to the DMA. Pieces of crap telemarketers. No one forced me to sign on to the federal do-not-call list. I signed on voluntarily, and now the DMA dares to question my decision by making a side run around me and whining about the feds?

Gatekeeper

Old September 24, 2003, 14:00   #9
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

See! This is what happens when judges become activists! Down with activist judges! Off with their heads!

Old September 24, 2003, 14:14   #10
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

This better get overturned.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old September 24, 2003, 14:18   #11
chequita guevara
Emperor

It's possible Congress will simply pass a law, since they saw how popular this program by the FTC was with the American public. While the judge may find that the FTC doesn't have the authority to make those kinds of rules (and he may be technically correct, I don't know the law), the Constitution gives Congress the authority to make such laws.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old September 24, 2003, 14:42   #12
Atahualpa
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Emperor

Local Time: 10:13
Quote:
The telemarketing industry estimates the do-not-call list could cut its business in half, costing it up to $50 billion in sales each year.
huh????
Telemarketing industry expects to make sales to people that dont want to buy? There seem to be some outstanding clever managers in the telemarketing industry! I doubt that everyone on the list would bring in $1000 in sales.

ata
Old September 24, 2003, 14:43   #13
chequita guevara
Emperor

Well consider that possibly out of every 500 calls you get, one might interest you.
Old September 24, 2003, 15:01   #14
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 04:13
The list is so popular than even is the FTC is found to have oversteped its bounds, then congress will simply pass legislation for it, likely with some punitive extra for revenge on the industry.
From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"
Old September 24, 2003, 15:46   #15
Atahualpa
Emperor

So you'd listen to all 500 calls?

I would just hang up at the first smell of a telemarketing call.
Old September 24, 2003, 15:47   #16
pchang
King

Not the way it works
Quote:
Originally posted by Atahualpa

huh????
Telemarketing industry expects to make sales to people that dont want to buy? There seem to be some outstanding clever managers in the telemarketing industry! I doubt that everyone on the list would bring in $1000 in sales.

ata
Telemarketers get paid based upon the number of calls they make, not how many products they sell. The companies who pay the telemarketers are the ones who make money on the products sold. Reducing the number of people who can be called will definitely reduce the earnings of telemarketing companies. However, it is not clear whether it will increase the success rate of those calls. Determining this would require several years of data. Until then, it would be hard to convince companies to pay the telemarketing companies more per call.

If social security were private, it would be prosecuted as a Ponzi scheme.
Old September 24, 2003, 15:49   #17
chequita guevara
Emperor

Re: Not the way it works
Quote:
Originally posted by pchang
Telemarketers get paid based upon the number of calls they make, not how many products they sell.
Untrue.
Old September 24, 2003, 15:54   #18
Chemical Ollie
King

Whenever I get a call from a telemarketer, I tell him that I will call back if I want anything. Of course I never do.
Old September 24, 2003, 16:02   #19
Atahualpa
Emperor

Havent you said this in the other thread aswell?
Old September 24, 2003, 16:12   #20
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=97720

my post.
Old September 24, 2003, 17:53   #21
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

In my opinion, telemarketing should be on the same level as SPAM: Only legal if you specifically sign up for it.

I like opt-in more than opt-out. But that's just my opinion.

Asmodean
Old September 24, 2003, 18:03   #22
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

"Hello, I'm from Todd's Carpet Cleaners, and I was wondering if you would be interested in our new cleaning deal"
"Hey, man, thanks....can you get blood out of carpet?"
"Uh...yes, we can..."
"Ah, man, thank god, thank god. I got blood everywhere, it's all over the carpets, it's all over the couch, and the drapes...ah man it's everywhere"
"Well, can we do something to...help you?"
"Can you come over--okay, can you come over right now?"

thanks to Tom Mabe.
Old September 24, 2003, 22:37   #23
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I wuz expecting a call from one of my ladies JUST NOW (like literally after reading this thread) and I get one of those b1tch asses calling me trying to sell me some credit card add ons.

Mis Novias
Old September 24, 2003, 22:42   #24
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

AARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!
Old September 24, 2003, 23:00   #25
MrFun
Emperor

one word . . .

www.dontcall.gov
Old September 24, 2003, 23:07   #26
pchang
King

Hello
Hi (breathy sigh). So, what are you wearing?

If social security were private, it would be prosecuted as a Ponzi scheme.
Old September 25, 2003, 00:12   #27
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

thats good pchang. Tho I tend to stay away from anything sexual... cause im a wuss.

Best thing you can do when you have time is continue talking with the telemarketter and sound awfully interested in this product, pretending to buy into all the marketting technique they are employing without really saying "Yes I would like to buy this product". and when they try to be sly and slip that "okay so Im gonna go ahead and take care of everything for you aka charge you now". Say "waot wait wait, let me ask you just one more question: Does this come with a free spoon? Well **** this then why did I waste my time?" and hang up.
Old September 25, 2003, 00:16   #28
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Try to bring him into unrelated topics. See how much you can get him to reveal
Old September 25, 2003, 00:20   #29
Zero
King

Or spill ur (made up) personal problems at the telemarketter as if he/she was ur psychiatrist.
Old September 25, 2003, 02:44   #30
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Zero
Or spill ur (made up) personal problems at the telemarketter as if he/she was ur psychiatrist.
You people put to much thought into this. Just tell them to hang on a second and put the phone down and leave it down.