Old September 24, 2003, 13:40   #1
Grond
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:13
Local Date: November 2, 2010
PTW on LAN
I have a friend that wants me to set up a LAN game for 4 people with some computer AI's in Novemeber. Is this feasible? What would be the minimum amount of time we could finish the game in?
Old September 24, 2003, 13:49   #2
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 03:13
I guess it would depend on which mode you were playing.

I've never played around with the 'turnless', which I assume is what you are looking at or you could just use one comp and 'hotseat' mode.

Don't know how fast Turnless goes.

Accelerated production will spead games if it's an issue as well.

I would guess at least 8 hours for a small map if you are doing turns, but it all depends on how quick people get those turns in too, and how much micro goes on.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old September 24, 2003, 13:49   #3
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 11:13
Haven't you got lost between the forums?

Civ3-Multiplaying forum

Nevertheless, if I knew the answer I'd have helped. But I don't. (hence the suggestion; in the multiplayer forum there might be more people who know how to set up a LAN game).
--Woody Allen
Old September 24, 2003, 23:13   #4
Grond
Chieftain

I was under the impression that PTW was the supported multiplayer version of Civ 3 and that regular Civ 3 was totally unworkable for multiplayer. If this is wrong please let me know. I only have Civ 3 right now.
Old September 24, 2003, 23:24   #5
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 02:13
You are correct Grond. In order to play a Multiplayer LAN game you will need PTW.

Other than my PBEM games, the only other verion that I play is Multiplayer LAN with my partner...of course, I will play a few hours of single-play PTW every now and then.
Old September 24, 2003, 23:29   #6
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Well, you are on the money. You want PtW.

The most fun, practical, and civ like mp game is Simultaneous. You are all moving at once, and as each player finishes they idle while they wait for the others to finish. Once all are finished, the turn changes and you all start moving again. It is most effecient, and allows for some gaming to get done while neither wasting everyone's time waiting for each player to finish in turn, nor experiencing the frustration of Turnless where turns can go by before you have done everything that needs to be done in a turn.

Personally, I refuse to play turnless. If I wanted a click fest I would play an RTS.

Simultaneous can be a whole lot of fun though. Everyone gets a chance to do what needs doing, and a minimum of everyone's time is wasted waiting for others.

Set up your game on a small pang. and you could have a finished game, or at least a lot of ancient civ fun in 4 hours.

A long game of simultaneous can go 30 hours. That was with continents, 3 humans with 5 AIs, and not a lot of aggression between humans until the end (with nukes).

Oh, you can set a timer so that each turn lasts a maximum amount of time. I find the timer a pain. Some turns simply require more time than others. My favorite is no timer, simultaneous.
Old September 24, 2003, 23:56   #7
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

Local Time: 05:13
Though, if you don't have PTW yet, you may just want to wait the few extra weeks until Conquests comes out. It will have all the multi-player functions and content PTW, plus a lot more!
Old September 25, 2003, 12:10   #8
vulture
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 10:13
But, Grond, this isn't the PTW forum. This is a democracy game forum. The PTW forum was merged with the general forum, and the multiplayer stuff was all shunted into the multiplayer forums - which would be the best place to ask since people who know how to get around technical problems will probably be reading there.
Old September 25, 2003, 22:53   #9
Grond
Chieftain

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll wait and hope Conquests comes out on time although that will be cutting it close. Apparently LAN games aren't working that well with ore than 2 players. We will probably have to use the time limit since time will be at a premium. Hopefully the improved networking code in Conquests will be much improved.
Old September 25, 2003, 23:19   #10
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 04:13
I've played PTW on a LAN... it's actually not so bad if you have the patches. If you do it w/o the patches, it's terribly laggy (for no easily explanable reason). Even with the patches, it feels a bit laggy, but it's decent and it's still Civ.

I've had a good bit of fun with LAN games of PTW about a year ago when I played those
Old September 25, 2003, 23:58   #11
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

I just play PTW on lan

I play it with 3 of my roomates

Jon Miller