Old June 19, 2000, 15:13   #1
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

Local Time: 06:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
A weird bug
Hi !!!
Just a little question. I found a weird Civ2 bug: destroying a barbarian's settler unit ( with 0 movement points - defensive points more than 0 ) gives to winner civilization tribe ( whatever human or computer AI ) the destroyed barbarian scout's reward ... so i estabilished to use this feature to perform passive barbarian and/or small Chinese chiefdoms-tribes in my Chung Kuo scenario ( the seventh scenario i made, now available on Net at Apolyton review section ) - ravaging cities, indeed, was a common way in Warring States warfare.
Now, i'm puzzled: "Maybe this weird bug works only on my PC ...".
The questions are:

Have you experienced the same bug ?
What do you think about it ?
Old June 19, 2000, 16:41   #2
SCDARS
Civilization II Multiplayer
Warlord

It works with my FW version, too - and I wouldn't call it a real bug... as you pointed out, it can be quite useful - especially if one wants to save space in the events file. (Just consider the problems caused by the corrupted ANYBODY parameters - as a result you have to list up each civs separately... - which is quite memory consuming)

But it does not only work with settlers, it occurs if any barbarien "civil-roled" (i.e. diplomat, trade or settler) unit is killed.
I think the domain does not affect it - so by placing barbarian ships (with an civil role) for instance you could simulating piracy. Other possibilities would be any kind of plundering...

At first I thought the reward amount would depend on the build cost, but tests proved its not so. Does anyone know whether this can be intentionally modified, for example: to have a barbarin trader reward 50 gold, and caravans with a reward of 75 gold?
Old June 19, 2000, 16:47   #3
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

Thanks a lot for the hint !!!
About domain, i'm not sure you're right... i planned a barbarian merchant ship, but it didn't work at all.

Edit: i mean the "once created-suddenly destroyed by barbarian AI" stuff.
[This message has been edited by Prometeus (edited June 19, 2000).]