Old September 25, 2003, 10:36   #31
Lincoln
King

Local Time: 09:14
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Old September 25, 2003, 17:37   #32
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 20:14
Old September 25, 2003, 17:47   #33
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 05:14
Re: Re: Catholic boycott
Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun

In the past three days now, it seems you have been stuck in a rut . . .

I'm just grateful that this decision by the fundies will not have any significant impact.
This is the first time I've heard anyone use the term "fundamentalists" to describe some Roman Catholics, but there are some who fit the description. However I wouldn't want to be heard saying that anywhere near where I live, 'cause there are still some fundies who would really get their panties in a bunch if they heard that!
Old September 25, 2003, 17:51   #34
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 04:14
Re: Re: Re: Catholic boycott
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove

This is the first time I've heard anyone use the term "fundamentalists" to describe some Roman Catholics, but there are some who fit the description. However I wouldn't want to be heard saying that anywhere near where I live, 'cause there are still some fundies who would really get their panties in a bunch if they heard that!
Um, Catholicism is one of the more conservative Christian religions, yeah, there are definitely Catholic fundies out there.

Not all Catholics are fundies, of course.
Old September 25, 2003, 18:31   #35
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Will she cut off your d*ck if you use a condom?
Who says she gets to touch?
Old September 25, 2003, 22:30   #36
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Ben, you are cool by me. I don't much care for your classicist leanings, but at least you are civil, polite, and reasonable.
Old September 25, 2003, 22:50   #37
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Catholic boycott
Quote:

Um, Catholicism is one of the more conservative Christian religions, yeah, there are definitely Catholic fundies out there.

You don't understand what the term fundamentalist means, do you?

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old September 25, 2003, 22:55   #38
MrFun
Emperor

Yes, I do -- it's when you literally intepret the Bible to contemporary society.

So wouldn't it make more sense, that you cannot be a fundie and a liberal? Wouldn't that be something of an oxymoron?

In other words -- you can be a fundie and a conservative, but you really cannot be a fundie and a liberal.

Or maybe that doesn't make any sense . . .?
Old September 25, 2003, 23:07   #39
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Catholic boycott
Quote:

Yuh, but on this forum you won't find any recognition of that fact.
Sorry, I still remember back a few years ago when a large portion of this forum community had the knee jerk beliefs: Protestant=Fundamentalist, Catholic=Liberal. Of course that was when CivNation still roamed the boards.
Old September 26, 2003, 00:11   #40
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Fundamentalism and Conservatism are not the same thing. Fundamentalist Christians believe in the Bible as literal and inerrant, the sole source of the Theological truth. Catholics don't believe that.

Old September 26, 2003, 00:18   #41
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 03:14
ah

was CivNation great

I wonder what he is doing now

Jon Miller
Old September 26, 2003, 01:45   #42
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
Fundamentalism and Conservatism are not the same thing. Fundamentalist Christians believe in the Bible as literal and inerrant, the sole source of the Theological truth. Catholics don't believe that.
All denominational religions have their share of extremist groups, don't they?
Old September 26, 2003, 01:52   #43
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Yes. But extremist and Fundamentalist don't mean the same thing at all.

Old September 26, 2003, 02:22   #44
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
Yes. But extremist and Fundamentalist don't mean the same thing at all.
Really??

Because I usually perceive those who interpret the Bible in literal terms, as being extremists, and on the fringes of whatever religious denomination they belong to (such as Catholicism).
Old September 26, 2003, 03:04   #45
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Local Time: 11:14
Opus Dei is a bad organisation

- Paul Valery
Old September 26, 2003, 06:17   #46
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Catholics don't believe that.
Fundamentalism:

1 a often capitalized : a movement in 20th century Protestantism emphasizing the literally interpreted Bible as fundamental to Christian life and teaching b : the beliefs of this movement c : adherence to such beliefs

2 : a movement or attitude stressing strict and literal adherence to a set of basic principles

Now, Catholics can't be a Fundamentalist in the first sense, but in the second, the practicing Catholics who adhere faithfully to Catholic teachings would count as Fundamentalist Catholics.

Secondly, have you ever heard of Evangelical Catholic churches? They tend to put greater emphasis on the bible, than most other Catholic churches. Would these be considered fundamentalist?
Old September 26, 2003, 11:18   #47
MrFun
Emperor

Right -- I'm not claiming that all Catholics by virtue of their denomination are fundamentalists.

I'm saying that all religious denominations -- WITHIN the denomination -- have small groups of fundies that do not fit in the mainstream of that denomination's pratice of religion.
Old September 26, 2003, 11:26   #48
Elok
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Catholics can't be fundamentalists. So far as I know, they have to pay to maintain their churches.
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old September 26, 2003, 12:25   #49
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Quote:
they have to pay to maintain their churches.
Elok, am I being particularly obtuse today? I'm not understanding any of your points.

What does tithing have anything to do with whether someone is Fundamentalist or not?
Old September 26, 2003, 12:37   #50
Elok
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Look at the full name of the site we're on...it's a dumb joke, but it's a joke.
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old September 26, 2003, 18:05   #51
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Quote:
Look at the full name of the site we're on...it's a dumb joke, but it's a joke.

I am tired.
Old October 2, 2003, 14:55   #52
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Update.

The controversy continues.

Apparently blacks can boycott organisations that oppress blacks, but Catholics cannot do the same.

http://www.canada.com/vancouver/vanc...A-2CCFD8773322

Intolerance marks furore over church, credit union
It's time to chill the passion sparked by same-sex debate

Vancouver Sun

Thursday, October 02, 2003

If there were ever a time for cooler heads, this is it. The Catholic Archdiocese of Vancouver's decision to sever its partnership with the VanCity credit union has produced an almost unbelievable amount of controversy and, from a few hotheads, an appalling threat of violence.

The Sun has received hundreds of letters on the subject, and the archdiocese reports receiving an equal number of telephone calls and e-mails, including ones linking Archbishop Adam Exner with fascism and Nazism.

That's bad enough, but Vancouver police are now investigating complaints that the archbishop was threatened by an angry crowd of protesters outside his window late at night. Police are also investigating eight bomb threats made last week against VanCity. Although it's not clear the bomb threats were made as a result of the controversy, police are suspicious because they occurred just after The Sun reported the church's decision.

The threats against the archbishop and VanCity are appalling, though it's likely they were made by the lunatic fringe who just can't accept anyone who disputes their views.

We encourage the police to rigorously pursue the culprits and hold them to account for their attempts to silence by force those with whom they disagree.

Aside from the actions of the lunatic fringe, the vitriol expressed by many more reasonable people is also troubling. Certainly, people have the right to express their dissatisfaction -- though not to make threats -- with the church or with VanCity. But both the church and VanCity also have the right to decide with whom they want to deal.

In a four-page letter published by The Sun, the archbishop explained that the archdiocese severed ties with VanCity because the credit union's support of gay causes conflicted with the church's mission.

In so doing, the church was fully within its rights. In a democracy, the right to boycott companies you object to is as fundamental as the right to free expression. In fact, boycotting is an element of free expression.

And boycotting is a two-way street: The Catholic church is a voluntary organization, and people who object to the church's teachings can choose to leave it or refuse to patronize it in any way.

So VanCity has every right to support gay causes or to market to any group it wishes. Groups that, like the church, object to VanCity's politics have the right to boycott the credit union; those who agree with VanCity may make an extra effort to offer their support or open an account there.

That should, and in most cases would, be the end of it. But the overly emotional response to the church's decision suggests that it isn't really about that decision at all.

Rather, the passions of people have been inflamed by the acrimonious debate about same-sex marriage.

Since marriage is an ancient legal and religious institution, any discussion about same-sex marriage is met with heated, passionate debate. One side believes a group of people is being denied a fundamental human right, while the other believes precious institutions are being systematically dismantled.

The church waded into the debate when a Calgary bishop suggested that Prime Minister Jean Chretien was at risk of imperilling his immortal soul if he supports same-sex marriage. The bishop's words raised the ire of many, who argued he and the church should mind their own business.

But the Vancouver archdiocese's decision about who it will partner with is fundamentally different. It's the church's business. The archdiocese, and only the archdiocese, has the right to make that decision for itself.

People who support gay rights often characterize those on the other side as intolerant. But the response to the church's decision shows there's plenty of intolerance to go around.

It's time for both sides to show their opponents the tolerance and respect that everyone deserves in a democratic and civil society.
Old October 2, 2003, 15:00   #53
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 02:14
Quote:
Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
Who says she gets to touch?
Where the hell is the fun in that?
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old October 2, 2003, 15:05   #54
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Quote:
Where the hell is the fun in that?
I'd want to touch her too.
Old October 2, 2003, 15:53   #55
gunkulator
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by St Leo
Yay for these particular Catholics being anal and stuck up.

Funniest. Post. Yet.
Old October 2, 2003, 17:55   #56
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 10:14
Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
We need another Reformation. Thin out their ranks a bit.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old October 2, 2003, 18:09   #57
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
Update.

The controversy continues.

Apparently blacks can boycott organisations that oppress blacks, but Catholics cannot do the same.

In what way is this bishop boycotting an organization that oppresses Catholics?
Old October 2, 2003, 18:24   #58
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Okay, oppress is a little strong. Tried to find a word that would fit the situation, and work for the analogy.
Old October 2, 2003, 18:34   #59
Theben
Deity

How about: all religions suck equally and should be cast aside.
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned