Old June 18, 2000, 10:36   #1
The ANZAC
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 00:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Miscellaneous Posting
Ciao! Well I've had questions about Civ2 and I decided to make one post just about it.

1. What determines what an obsolete unit is upgraded to? (ex. cannon is upgraded to artillery)

2. Has anyone used multiple event files (ex. Red Front), but also had random event files also (ex. FW's World of Jules Verne), and if anyone hasn't done this, is it possible?

3. I know this is massive , and I think Field Marshal Klesh asked this, but has anyone ever attempted a major quest scenario, where if you capture different cities, it leads to many different paths in events, which in turn lead to others, and others......?

4.These are for Captain Nemo
a. In Red Front, make sure when you are having the map redone, check the distances bettween Smolensk, Kaluga, and Tula, and Orel, Kursk, Belgorod, and Kharkov. They don't seem right or maybe it's just me!
b. Are you going to release "Second Front" for playtesting on MGE to see if it's compatible with us folks with it? (Or maybe I'm just trying to get a look at it!! )
Old June 18, 2000, 14:16   #2
SCDARS
Civilization II Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 06:59
It should be obvious that the first condition for an upgrade [with Leonardo's Workshop] is that the older unit expires with the tech allowing the newer one. Furthermore, they must have the same "role" assigned by rules.txt.
This is the basic role... at least if you are introducing only one new unit type by the technology, there should be no problems, but if there are a couple of units, both the unit position ("slot") and the units statistics seem to influence to which unit it will be upgraded.

Especially if you are changing units' statistics and obsolescence in wider scope, you should check out Michael Daumen's
design tip
on the scenario league to see how AI-controlled civs determine which units they will actually build.

I had the same idea about combining multiple event files with a random selection - just confer this post, but so far I haven't tested it
By the way, the Jules Verne scenario only includes (slightly) different scenarios - and not event files: But as Cam and Miner pointed out (see the last link), just this offers the opportunity to set up different event structures...
Old June 18, 2000, 21:39   #3
Captain Nemo
Prince

Local Time: 05:59
Regarding the map distances, Harlan Thompson scanned an actual map and converted it to Civ2 so the new distances are 100% accurate. The only variable is the compression ratio used to compensate for the difference of terrain square width to height, but it looks good. A few areas were "squished" because of their lesser importance in the Russian campaign so you might find Scandinavia and Northern Turkey a little out of scale but it's really not important in the game play.

Second Front, parts I-III are being tested right now both by FW and MPG players
Old June 19, 2000, 06:39   #4
Cam
King

Local Time: 15:29
SCDARS,

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Nemo,

Better 'hush, hush' about playtesting the next version of Red Front - you might just get a stampede! b.t.w. Did you put Mark Laanan and Xin Yu on your list?
Old June 19, 2000, 19:42   #5
Captain Nemo
Prince

This was "Second Front" (Normandy 1944) I was talking about playtesting. The current Playtesters are:

Jim Winchell
John Petroski
Mark Laanen
Bill (?)
DarthVeda
Scott (FF?)
Miguel Sana

Some are very active and have given me excellent feedback; others are less committed. I could use 2 more BUT I want VERY serious playtesters who are willing to spend a lot of time on the game and write serious feedback, then replay the next version etc...this is probably a 2 months commitment.
BTW Second Front will be nearly as detailed and extensive as RedFront so it should be fun.
I will post some screenshots in the near future.
[This message has been edited by Captain Nemo (edited June 19, 2000).]
Old June 19, 2000, 20:59   #6
The ANZAC
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Yeah! Screenshots! Well, I do have some other questions....

4.c. Capt. Nemo- In RF, when you redo it, have the event text for Kiev come up earlier, because it was liberated in November '43.

5. I know how to open save files with a hexeditor, but how do you hex edit it (know which lines to edit, know what the lines are...)

6. Nemo- When should we expect "SF" (coined it myself ), if all goes well? I'm not sure if I'm the right person for playtesting , but if you need someone, I'm up for it!
Old June 19, 2000, 21:05   #7
The ANZAC
King

BTW, I recently started up on RF, great time I had. I stopped a while ago in frustration, but now I'm slaughtering the Werhmacht! (sp?)

Also, does "SF" have batch event files?
Old June 19, 2000, 22:15   #8
Captain Nemo
Prince

SF is about 2 months away from completion (My estimate). Yes it has batch events, rules, game and unit files, approx as many as RF. June 6 to June 20 which is complete to date has 3 parts. The scale is smaller than RF (It's an oversized map approx. 10,500, covering an area less than 100 x 100 miles) and there are no "season changes". Also less unit changes because there is really no development during the 10 weeks the scenario takes. Almost all techs are given by events. But there are several real innovative features like fuel supplies, 2 separate human civs and more.
Anzac: Do you have FW or MPG? Do you have time and patience to play a half finished scenario multiple times to see how you fare and how long it takes you to "figure out" how to win? If you want to do it let me know.
Old June 20, 2000, 07:46   #9
SCDARS
Civilization II Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 06:59
ANZAC, for more info about hex editing, try out Allards thread

I hope the link works, as it's an older post and could be archived in the next time - if not, tell me and I'll send it to you as I've saved it on my harddisk...
Old June 20, 2000, 08:20   #10
The ANZAC
King

SCDARS- Specifically, I wanted to know which lines to hex edit because there are a lot and what does each line mean. But that helped also, thanks!

Nemo: If RF is any foreshadowing of SF, I'll take it! I'll try and comment AMAP and you can send it to theanzac@nac.net.

BTW- What kind of unit changes could you get in a few weeks?
[This message has been edited by The ANZAC (edited June 20, 2000).]
Old June 20, 2000, 21:21   #11
Captain Nemo
Prince

I believe SF is close to RF in quality and playability...Right now I'm getting my b..t kicked by my own game!
Regarding unit changes, there are a few, like getting rid of useless units after D-Day (Beach obstacles, LCA Landing crafts, DD tanks, beach mines etc...) and replacing them with new equipment that is of further use in the balance of the campaign. Some German units are also disbanded to make room for units that show up later in the game (Like "Widerstandsnest" replaced by SS-Panzers arriving in the days following D-Day)
Old June 21, 2000, 08:20   #12
The ANZAC
King

Captain, it sounds good. I'll playtest it for you. You can send it to theanzac@nac.net