Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 17:17
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Computer tech? What are the job duties?
Old September 27, 2003, 23:44   #32
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 01:17
I got the job off a job hotline number and they did not say the duties would be, but they are looking for someone with experience in computer labs. They also do not require any degree, only that you have to pass the test to get an interview.
Old September 27, 2003, 23:55   #33
Urban Ranger
Deity

Written or lab test?
Old September 28, 2003, 00:24   #34
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

written test. maybe multiple choise
Old September 28, 2003, 00:26   #35
Jack_www
King

the reason why I say that is that everyone that applied is taking the test at the same time. I doubt they would take the time to give written response test, since multiple choise is easier to grade.
Old September 28, 2003, 00:35   #36
Vince278
King

Local Time: 09:17
Re: Re: Re: Job Searching Tips
Quote:
Originally posted by Jack_www
I am. I am looking every where that I can. But every time I apply for a job on monster.com I never hear from the company I applied to, ever.
I only had a few meager responses. What actually helped me was a placement agency. Got me the high tech job I have now.
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)
Old September 28, 2003, 00:49   #37
Jack_www
King

Re: Re: Re: Re: Job Searching Tips
Quote:
Originally posted by Vince278

I only had a few meager responses. What actually helped me was a placement agency. Got me the high tech job I have now.
you know I might just do that if I dont get a job with in the next two weeks. I have a possible job at a hospital just going to patient rooms and getting their info and getting them to sign the conditions of admitting since they did not because they were rushed into the hospital.
I took a typing test and customer service test for that job but still have heard back from them yet, they take a long time to get back to people.
Old September 28, 2003, 00:50   #38
Jack_www
King

I have been using the job placement center at my school to find most of the jobs that I have applied for so far.
Old September 28, 2003, 11:39   #39
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack_www
written test. maybe multiple choise
Assuming you are dealing with only Wintel boxes, most likely questions about hardware and Windows. Can't be anything academic or difficult.

However, it can also be a generic aptitude test. Sorta like SAT.
Old September 29, 2003, 13:49   #40
Jack_www
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Assuming you are dealing with only Wintel boxes, most likely questions about hardware and Windows. Can't be anything academic or difficult.

However, it can also be a generic aptitude test. Sorta like SAT.
I think it is going to be like a SAT test. I emailed a person in human recourses there and they said it was a "General Test." They said it was an hour long.
Old September 29, 2003, 14:43   #41
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 04:17
I'm seeing more of those "general or industry specific" tests. Prior to my current job I applied for a programming job at Discover. They told me there was a test that I had to take that I assumed would be a programmers test, but it turned out to be a credit card industry test that included calculating service fees and interest and even tested our knowledge of specific legal issues for the industry. While I passed the test it was just barely since I hadn't prepared for it.

So it's always good to get clarification on what type of test you'll be required to take.
Old September 29, 2003, 14:54   #42
Jack_www
King

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
I'm seeing more of those "general or industry specific" tests. Prior to my current job I applied for a programming job at Discover. They told me there was a test that I had to take that I assumed would be a programmers test, but it turned out to be a credit card industry test that included calculating service fees and interest and even tested our knowledge of specific legal issues for the industry. While I passed the test it was just barely since I hadn't prepared for it.

So it's always good to get clarification on what type of test you'll be required to take.
Well they told me when it is a "General Test" when I asked. What more should I as? I dont want to seem like an idiot or something.
Old September 29, 2003, 14:57   #43
rah
lifer
Just another peon

General knowledge vs Industry knowledge.
Old September 29, 2003, 15:02   #44
Jack_www
King

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
General knowledge vs Industry knowledge.
Well I doubt this will be a Industry knowledge test because it is a school district.
Old September 29, 2003, 15:10   #45
Jack_www
King

Would not a gerneral knowledge test be and Industry knowledge test for a school district? I dont think they would give a computer tech a test on teaching.
Old September 29, 2003, 15:10   #46
rah
lifer
Just another peon

I'd give that a 90% shot but you never know.
Old September 29, 2003, 15:12   #47
Jack_www
King

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
I'd give that a 90% shot but you never know.
Well I have also done some tutoring of high school students. So I dont think I will have a problem.
Old September 29, 2003, 15:19   #48
Jack_www
King

Now when I go on the interview is there any tips on that?
Old September 29, 2003, 15:28   #49
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Dress appropriate.
Correct any possible hygene issues.
Sound confident but not cocky.
Act like you actually want the job.
Try to get the interviewer to talk/brag about themselves. (studies have shown that this helps because the interviewer will have a positive memory from the interview)
Old September 29, 2003, 15:33   #50
Jack_www
King

The most of stuff your wrote I got down. BUt how do I go about getting them to brag about themselves?
Old September 29, 2003, 15:50   #51
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 05:17
Get them talking about themselves for starters, and play the conversation from there: "Really? 40% cost reduction? I'm impressed! How'd you manage that?", that sort of stuff. If you know what you are doing, you can actually take control of large portions of the interview - and the best way to take control is to get people talking about themselves on subjects you want them to talk about. It's pretty damned slick.
Old September 29, 2003, 16:55   #52
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 10:17
My last interview I got them to brag about themselves and tell me all about the systems they have in place and compare notes

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old September 29, 2003, 17:36   #53
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Yep, JohnT has the right idea. If they don't give you verbal clues, look at their desk or other personal items in their office. 90% of the time it will be obvious.

All family pictures. (ask about their family)
Sports trophies. (no brainer)
College degrees.
Professional designations.
Industry trade or training materials.
Hobbies.
Certificates of Job excellence or for quality.

Simple comments on any of the above items is usually enough to get them talking. Just pretend you're interested. (most men that have been married for awhile are quite good at this)
Old September 29, 2003, 18:30   #54
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 10:17
Is idle chit-chat really suitable for an interview though?

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old September 29, 2003, 22:42   #55
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
Is idle chit-chat really suitable for an interview though?
It's not "idle chit-chat" it's "building a relationship" and is the key to all business deals. There is an art form to it, and it takes practice and confidence - and even after steering a conversation to whatever ends I want it to go, I still feel like a complete dork whom nobody is going to take seriously. Go figure.

For example, you are walking into an interviewers office. You notice a picture of an 8 year old boy in a baseball uniform. Do you:

1. Ignore the photo, dismissing the brat as irrelevant to your life, preferring to jump in to why you're the best candidate out of 40 others for job X?
2. Grunt out the phrase "cute kid" while obviously checking out his wife?
3. Ask what position his son plays in, and what team/league, being willing to continue on the subject if the interviewer is willing to talk about it?

Hopefully you chose answer 3 and hopefully the interviewer waxed rhaposodic about his kids ability as a pitcher - that pleased feeling he gets thinking about his kid gets transfered to you: use it.

If you're really smart you'll remember to say your goodbyes with well-wishes for the kids baseball season. If you can identify something about the interviewers personality, open and close the interview with positive references to something the interviewer enjoys outside the office.

That's only part of a successful interview, but a demonstration of an interest in his life is a far better interviewing technique than just dumbly saying "I'm a people person - I get along with everybody." You have no idea how many people I interviewed for call center positions would spew such bland crap without once asking me about the pix of my wife and daughter, or the Atlanta Braves memorabilia in my office.

Don't forget that you are also interviewing the company - you might want to ask him a couple of the following questions:

1. What will an average work day entail?
2. What successes has this department/company achieved in the past 5 years?
3. Who will you report to and who will report to you?
4. Ask him to describe the corporate culture, or a "good worker."
5. Ask about your predecessor - why is s/he leaving, what were their strengths and weaknesses, etc. Of course, you can only do this if your predecessor is not helping with the interview process.

If you can find out anything about a company before going in that will be great. I would hesitate to walk into an interview with almost any company and not know who the president is, no matter how small, and I wouldn't want to walk into an interview with a public company and not have a look at the most recent annual financial reports. If you can throw out that you know the division spun off $35 million in cash last year, the more power to you. Chance favors the prepared mind, and it favors the prepared candidate. Do your homework.
Old September 29, 2003, 22:47   #56
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

A couple of other, REALLY IMPORTANT tips:

1. Don't lie. I repeat, don't lie. You don't have to bring bad stuff up, but do... not... ever... lie. Your professional reputation depends upon it.

2. If you don't know, say "I don't know." Or, better, "could you please rephrase the question?"

3. Thank you cards. Nice blank ones, with a personalized one or two-sentence hand written message to every person who attended the interview. Hopefully, if you're lucky, an upper level guy will pop in, looking for the interviewer. If you get introduced, DEFINITELY send the upper level guy a thank you note for his time. Make sure that each message is different from the others, because these people will compare - you might want to bring up a different aspect of the interview to each:

"Dear Linda,

Thank you for taking your time with me on Monday, September 2nd, 2001. Your description of the IBM project was fascinating and is the sort of project my education and experience at ABC has prepared me for. Thanks again, and good luck in your future endeavors at XYZ Inc."

"Dear Tim,

I truly appreciated the time you spent with me during out meeting* on Monday. The problem-solving, challenge filled corporate culture at XYZ Inc sounds exciting, and the ability to develop relationships with Fortune 500 companies complements well with my years' experience at ABC.

Thanks again, and may things continue to go well for you and your team at XYZ Inc!"

See? It's easy if you do it.

*I like not using the word interview. That's just me, though.

Last edited by JohnT; September 29, 2003 at 23:01.
Old September 29, 2003, 22:54   #57
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 19:17
Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
Temping. It's a great foot-in-the-door.
Good advice. My other general advice would be don't sit on your arse whilst unemployed - do volunteer work, sports, be active in your community, make new friends and use the opportunity to improve your employment skills. The contacts you make can lead to jobs but it also makes you more employable if you show you are a well rounded individual.

That's probably old fashioned advice but it works. Most jobs are never advertised. Its the guy you play tennis with who gives you a job lead and puts in a good word.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old September 29, 2003, 23:17   #58
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 20:17
That sucks for us anti-social bastards though.
Old September 29, 2003, 23:26   #59
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 19:17
You need to change your ways - so much of selecting staff comes down to "can I work with this person"?

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old September 30, 2003, 12:35   #60
Vince278
King

Local Time: 09:17
Quote:
Originally posted by rah
Just pretend you're interested. (most men that have been married for awhile are quite good at this)

My wife is quite good at this too.
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)