Old June 19, 2000, 13:07   #1
Archangel

Do you have ToT?

Old June 19, 2000, 18:15   #2
Cam
King

Local Time: 15:29
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Gee... I don't know pariah6, sounds like you've created a challenge for yourself - perhaps you better make such a scenario and show everyone how it's done!
Old June 19, 2000, 19:12   #3
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 01:59
hahaha, good one Cam

pariah, I think the point of scenarios is that we wish to steer history in our own course and we can effect it. If we want to learn history, we'll read a book.
Old June 19, 2000, 19:21   #4
C0ckney
King

Local Time: 06:59
I don't know Mao,
Personaly I like scenarios which are historically accurate, but I also like to be able to change the coruse of history in civ2. Historical accutracy is important but fun should be the overriding concern when playing and making a scenario.

------------------
Cockney used to be schizophereic but we'er ok now
Old June 19, 2000, 20:12   #5
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

oh, yeah, of course, fun is still the most important factor.
Old June 20, 2000, 00:56   #6
pariah6
Settler

Local Time: 05:59
A challenge
As far as I have seen, there has been only about 2 or 3 WW2 scenerio's that are historically accurate, and have events pertaining to keeping them accurate.

The rest are a waste of time, and aquire no challenge.

I would like to see someone, to make a WW2 scenerio, that is historically accurate, and that has the ability to keep it that way, throughout the game.

Red Front is a great scenerio, because it is accurate, and continues to be so throughout the game. But involves the strategies of yourself, and isn't just a walkthrough teaching lesson.

Ansteig is similiar, but loses its' challenge after you take Leningrad, which isn't much of a challenge, and the fact that I could take over all of Northern England before 1942 was a little scarey.

I like the European WW2 because they pose to what ww2 actually consisted of. Since when you think of WW2, you think of Hitler, and the Nazi regime smashing through France, with their three armies. Although all the scenerio make it so that France is conquerable, they are still incorrect to present what really happened, and the full strength of the Germans.

The closest that I have seen is probably 3rd Reich, it only allows what really happened, and also presents quite the challenge of conquering England, but hardly a challenge in taking out Russia. If anyone can bombard me with the BEST WW2 european scenerio they got, then that is great, because I am DYING for a true challenge. If I should play Germany, then it be a challenge to finish off Russia at the Leningrad, Moscow, Stalingrad line, and if I be the Allies, that when the even appears to battle through Africa, then on to Sicilia, and all the way to Normandy.

This might be too much to ask, but if someone can make such a scenerio... if it is possible, I would be eternally in their debt.
Old June 20, 2000, 01:11   #7
Eternal
King

Local Time: 00:59
I often have more than one idea in my head at a time, and one I've been rolling around came up after I was browsing the old threads from last year- Battle of Britain. It might start with the invasion of the Low Countries. One idea is that when you take Paris, you can change the events file so that you can negotiate with France, create Vichy France, which then MakeAggressions England. This way you won't lose a lot of units conquering France. And then you could begin the air/naval war with Britain, possibly culminating in the invasion of Britain. I see problems with it all in that the AI can't handle itself navally, it might be kind of hard to make Radar sites really important, and how to model civilian bombing in order to make it TEMPTING, even if it is in retrospect a dumb thing for the player to do.
Old June 20, 2000, 15:27   #8
Fast_Eddie

Or we could all just stop caring about WW2 scenarios and move on to areas of history that offer more.

Then again, that just might be me and phoenix...

------------------
Administrator at
www.quantum9.com
Visit the forums!
www.quantum9.com/forums

Old June 20, 2000, 15:34   #9
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

C'mon Eddie, all your friends like WWII, you know you like too

Yeah...you, Leo, and Temba (He'll ALWAYS be Temba to me )
Old June 20, 2000, 15:48   #10
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

Yeah, me too ( I'm referring to COckney reply ).
Anyway, once in a while, i like to create what i use to call the "WHAT IF" scenario *...
but real history must be the basement - i think everyone agrees about that; i prefer ancient and medioeval history in making scenarios.

* (ex. "what if" Caesar was killed at Alesia's battle ?)
Old June 20, 2000, 15:56   #11
Fast_Eddie

NEVER!!!!

------------------
Administrator at
www.quantum9.com
Visit the forums!
www.quantum9.com/forums

Old June 20, 2000, 17:25   #12
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

Yikes, i failed to express myself again.
I mean that real history must be the starting point for a good scenario.
You may agree or disagree about the "what if" stuff, but sure you'll agree that historical research is the fundamental basis, don't you?
Anyway, it's just an humble opinion - as i said in another topic, to be honest, i'm not so much interested in modern scenarios ...
Old June 20, 2000, 17:49   #13
Michael Daumen
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 00:59
Pariah6, there are just somethings that Civ2 can't do correctly, whether it is because of the game engine or the AI. If you want to replay history then just do everything that the historical rulers did and you should be happy. Or watch a documentary. Aren't you curious as to whether a different decision would lead to a different outcome?
Old June 20, 2000, 20:25   #14
Archangel

I will ask you again Pariah, and you just might want to answer "yes". Do you have ToT?

Old June 20, 2000, 21:14   #15
Captain Nemo
Prince

Coming soon for WWII fanatics with a need for real historical accuracy: Second Front!

Old June 20, 2000, 21:56   #16
Fast_Eddie

This one had better have less micromanagement, fewer units, and turns that don't last 10 minutes.

...then again, what other kind of scenario could you be making?

------------------
Administrator at
www.quantum9.com
Visit the forums!
www.quantum9.com/forums

Old June 21, 2000, 00:50   #17
pariah6
Settler

I don't know how to make scenerios, and aren't very good with computers, so hince... the reason if offered this challenge... duh!!!
Old June 21, 2000, 21:57   #18
Captain Nemo
Prince

Actually I'm shooting for more units, more micromanagement, and turns that last 8 hours
Actually in this case there is no building and no research... Units appear by events depending on your success in the campaign.
The micromanagement is strategic: Where to move units, how to get around defenses, what unit is good against what unit. Also a bit of work bringing in the reinforcements and supplying them in France. But otherwise it's just Patton's kind of game: KILL KILL KILL!
Old June 21, 2000, 22:20   #19
Beto Benedetti
Prince

Fast Eddie,

AND ME!!!
Old June 22, 2000, 11:57   #20
Fast_Eddie

awwww....I"mno good at those kind of scenarios....unless you want to take away all the German units. Then I'd win for sure.

Alright! Beto's on our side now!

------------------
Administrator at
www.quantum9.com
Visit the forums!
www.quantum9.com/forums