Old October 1, 2003, 18:41   #31
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:18
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Well I think there are some good canidates here.
I would give an honorable mention to Maki.
I came down to two very good runs MS and Alexman.
I picked ALexman for these two reasons
1) contact with so many civs
2) research
He also has many units upgraded and has almost as much money. I must admit I like the fact that a large stack is ready to annex some cities.
Old October 1, 2003, 19:38   #32
Makahlua
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG2 TabemonoACDG PeaceCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 Data AngelsC4WDG Team ApolytonC3CDG Blood Oath HordeBtS Tri-LeagueCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
King

Local Time: 04:18
I came down to between Zargon and alex, Zargon and I were thinking ablong the same lines, and he did better with it than I did but ... I have to go with alexman again - the research, the big ol' stack of swords + some horses available, contact with continent #2 and he did all the REXing I should've

Another vote for alexman

(on a bright note I'm getting faster at seeing what I'm doing wrong, but I'm still only catching it -after- the fact )
Old October 1, 2003, 19:39   #33
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 02:18
Quote:
Originally posted by Makahlua

(on a bright note I'm getting faster at seeing what I'm doing wrong, but I'm still only catching it -after- the fact )
Ahh, but NEXT game....
Old October 1, 2003, 21:02   #34
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Makahlua!!

Question for ya: How well does this format help you improve you game, and how quickly, versus other means? (e.g., reading posts, regular AU games, etc.)

Not to prejudice your response, but I've gotta believe this is the best thing to bring players along ANYWHERE.

Heck, even just watching the other teams' threads is a learning experience for me, much less watching the best of the Dom team (where, to my own personal chagrin but my GREAT joy, I have not been playing the best blocks!!).

And while I'm not voting on this block for this team... alexman, jesu christo, I do not know what to say... you are friggin' scary. Great, great job.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old October 2, 2003, 00:23   #35
Makahlua
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG2 TabemonoACDG PeaceCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 Data AngelsC4WDG Team ApolytonC3CDG Blood Oath HordeBtS Tri-LeagueCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
King

Local Time: 04:18
No prejudice, because your right! This is another leap forward from the AU games, when you get new saves, you have to stop and think and almost mind meld with the save of the player you just got. Which for one thing makes you see the game differently, and also if you and another palyer have similar plans (for example myself and Zargon this block) you can compare and realize what you both could do better.

It's a big help to have an exact comparison for "What would -you- do in this situation?" Instead of just being told, you can -see- what to do and why/how it makes the difference and how different goals change your tactics. Yes the AU games do that to some extent but this is broken into smaller blocks and you have a braod spectrum of civ players all looking though it and (very importantly) asking -you- why you did X or Z. That makes wusses like me stop and think about what you're doing incorrectly ( like REX'ing..... )

What's scaring me is we can't pick alex's save next block
Old October 2, 2003, 02:19   #36
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Makahlua

What's scaring me is we can't pick alex's save next block
I would have preferred we did not have that rule. If some one is consistently doing better, we could learn from their play. I could see involing that rule if we have a close call to make, but if one is much better, why not use it?
Old October 2, 2003, 10:43   #37
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
I would have preferred we did not have that rule. If some one is consistently doing better, we could learn from their play. I could see involing that rule if we have a close call to make, but if one is much better, why not use it?
Because, to put it bluntly (I hope I'm not hurting anyone's feelings here...or embarrassing anynone!), you guys would always be playing alexman's save.

Playing from a various peoples' saves also promotes discussion.

Dominae
Old October 2, 2003, 12:51   #38
vmxa1
Deity

Yes we probably would and that is fine. The discussions will come regardless of which save is used. I don't see it as a big deal either way, but I never cared for punishing someone for being sucessful.
I also see that others (not in the game) could come along later and see how it could be done.
Old October 2, 2003, 23:51   #39
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 02:18
The voting for the third turn block is finished and alexman is the choice. Congratulations alexman. The fourth turn block will be posted in a new DAR thread. Everyone will have 5 days to complete the third turn block. That means the DARs will need to be posted by 23:59 EST Tuesday the 7th.

Per prior discussion, alexman’s fourth turn block will not be a part of the voting process, but I fully urge him to play the turn and post anyway. Thanks.
Old October 6, 2003, 18:35   #40
vmxa1
Deity

Ok, I must be losing my mind as I cannot find the DAR 4 for our team. I could have sworn I post at least some form of acknowledgement.
Could you find it and bump please.