Old June 15, 2000, 00:59   #1
Sable

"Of Celts and Iberians" Now Available for Download
A bit later than originally planned, but "Of Celts and Iberians -- Conquest of the Silver Country" is finally available for download. Check it out at the Spanish Civilization Site

Send flames, constructive criticisms and, best of all, saved games to [e-mail]spanish@apolyton.net[/e-mail]

My deep gratitude to Rob Roy, Cam Hills and Stefan Härtel for sharing their wisdom with me.

Old June 16, 2000, 10:02   #2
blackclove

This is a very good scenario... I got hooked yesterday afternoon while waiting for Lili to finish up her work. It ended up taking her longer than she planned, and I ended up playing a LOT longer than I'd planned.

Sure hope I manage to finish that dissertation thing...

Old June 16, 2000, 13:48   #3
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 06:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
One problem with it; the Carthaginians are TOO powerful. It`s nigh on impossible to expel them from Spain by 197BC, as historically happened according to the readme. Otherwise, it`s of the typical high standard that we expect from you, Jesus.
Old June 16, 2000, 16:12   #4
Sable

Thanks Paul

One of the things I last changed from the playtesting versions to the final one was an event that made the Carthaginians disappear if the Romans took over Gades. I finally left that event out for two reasons:

a) To make the things way more difficult for the Romans (human player) in the South. If the Romans take easily over Turdetania the game is over. Keeping the Carthsginians in I ensured that would not happen (at least not easily).

b) As a sort of what if? The reasons why the Carthaginians lost the Second Punic War are not totally understood even today. They were so close to crush the Romans! Surprisingly, the AI-controlled Carthaginians do it pretty well in the scenario (at least during my own playtesting). So I let them do as a sort of "historical revenge". Hint: when attacking the Carthaginians, open two fronts. That simplifies the things a lot.

Old June 16, 2000, 18:45   #5
C0ckney
King

A few little things I have noticed when playing the Romans:

1) It is best to concentrate on costal cities because of your good navy and because some of the Inland cities in northern Spain are a real bugger to take, so dont waste time on them. Move your army from the north to surport the attack on the carthaginians (sp?) if you are quick this can be done by 200BC.
2) When the carthaginians have being destroyed (or weakend so they no longer pose a threat) you can concentrate on conquring the rest of the country.

3) when doing this start with the ebro valley where there are some large easy to take cities which can provied vital production (if you can stop partisans from ravaging the area around the city)

4) Use captured celts and Iberians to attack cities first as they do better than the Roman troops for some reason (they may ignore city walls, but I havent checked)

BTW great scenario, well balanced and fun to play.
I wish that there were more sites like the Spanish civ2 site for other countries like Britain, France or mabey more obscure countries like Hungry and Poland (no offence to the inhabitants of these countries )

Well thats my 2 cents
Hope it helps anyone who is having difficulty with this great scenario

------------------
Cockney used to be schizophereic but we'er ok now
Old June 16, 2000, 19:11   #6
blackclove

It also seems that becoming a democracy has a point, as the envoy unit is a real major pain once the Carthaginians start building them. I lost my entire army in southern Spain to envoys who bribed all six of the major cities that I captured there. They must be spending thousands of gold per turn bribing my units and cities... eventually they started shipping them in BY BOAT to attack my rear.

Old June 17, 2000, 03:25   #7
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

There's a reason for everything in the world ...
Hannibal ( and Carthaginians )loosed the second punic war because he wasn't able to mantain an enduring alliance against Rome.
Celts, rebel Italic cities ( like Capua ) or Macedonian king Philip V weren't such good allies as loyal Italic were from Rome instead. If you add logistic problem ( FIDES PUNICA was legend amongst Romans - in order to supply his own army, Hannibal had to ravage the whole Southern Italy, with ovious results ... ), Scipio's family strategic intuitions ( they understood very well the value of Carthaginian Spain ), the first Punic war peace treatry terms ( including the drammatic decrease of the Punic fleet ships ), and - the most important point - the newest legionary tactics and weaponry ( "quincunce" disposition, iberic gladius, the side attack formation used at the battles of Baecula, Ilipa, Campi Magni and - in a little more different way - Zama ), you can easy find the answer.

P.S. OOOPS, i forgot : how can i stop Carthaginian's FIDES PUNICA tendences to bribe everything on their pats ?
[This message has been edited by Prometeus (edited June 17, 2000).]
Old June 17, 2000, 10:16   #8
Paul Hanson
King

That happened to me as well Blackclove; I took it slowly, built up a reasonable power base in Northern Spain, and took Carthago Nova when my army landed there. When the Carthaginians got envoys, they bribed back all their cities (despite losing all their money when Carthago Nova is taken, they had got about 12000 gold 20 turns later). When I took Saguntum, the Carthaginians bribed it back; They took Dertosa by bribing and sent ships full of diplo`s up to all my other cities. It was a disheartening experience, I can tell you...
Old June 17, 2000, 13:16   #9
Sable

Hmm, sorry guys .The rules.txt file included in the original package wasn't the final one

The movement of envoys should be 1 not 2 or 3. And, nobody has complained about this yet here, but the newly built Roman cities do not have a name. That's another ruls.txt bug. I'll have the replacement file ready asap.

Sorry again. I'll post here again when the new rules.txt is up.

Old June 17, 2000, 13:44   #10
Sable

Problem fixed. The actual final version is now up on the Spanish Site. Please download it again. I am sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Old June 17, 2000, 15:25   #11
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

To Sable

Great !!!!
got my pics ?
have a nice day
Prometeus

P.S. Instead of Carthaginian bribing, why don't you put the Numidian chavalry on your next version?

Old June 17, 2000, 15:36   #12
blackclove

Yay!

Romans don't build cities. We just conquer them.

Maybe I'll try playing as one of the Iberian tribes for a while and see if I can survive I need a break from writing anyway.

------------------
-Blackclove
Email: blackclove.geo@yahoo.com
Web: members.xoom.com/platehead/

Old June 17, 2000, 15:58   #13
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 07:59
quote:

Originally posted by blackclove on 06-17-2000 03:36 PM

Romans don't build cities. We just conquer them.

Exactly, blackclove!

And thanks, Sable, for the good work!!!

Old June 17, 2000, 16:45   #14
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

Yeah !!! i smashed Carthaginians at last !!! great !!! super !!!

to Sable
If you'll want to make a scenario on Mediterranean and/or Sardinian Aragona expansion, just make a whistle, i'll send you hints ( i'm pretty expert, indeed: my Sardinian mother's family has French-Iberic roots - my Sardinian father family comes from Genoa, instead: he's much more stingy than a Scottish !!! ).
P.S. i like Martialis very much - expecially the forbidden one ...
Old June 18, 2000, 00:12   #15
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 07:59
Yeah, this scenario is really one of the best I´ve ever played...until the Carthagians start to bribe everything.

Please, JB, would you think about this point? It´s a bit annoying, my Legions fighted bravely to take some Carthagian cities, but after a few more turns, all these cities were lost again...
Old June 18, 2000, 00:57   #16
blackclove

quote:

Originally posted by BeBro on 06-17-2000 12:12 PM
Yeah, this scenario is really one of the best I´ve ever played...until the Carthagians start to bribe everything.

Or at least give some kind of warning that causes you to consider becoming a democracy earlier.

------------------
-Blackclove
Email: blackclove.geo@yahoo.com
Web: members.xoom.com/platehead/

Old June 18, 2000, 04:04   #17
Shaka Naldur
Civilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Emperor

hey I played and I think that is really good scenario and i only have one complaint

as an Spaniard I felt really dissapointent with the facility of the conquest of Numantia and that there are not any wonders in the most famous pre-roman spanish city

excellent scenario

keep workking like that
Old June 19, 2000, 11:09   #18
blackclove

My dissertation breaks have amounted to something: This is 143 B.C., playing as Turdestan (white dots near the bottom of the map). For those who've tried this scenario, you know how many Carthaginian units had to die to get this far. Gades and three other major centers of Carthaginian power are under my control (and well-defended with Iberian Armies and Coastal Fortresses). We are not quite able to build good ships; we have biremes that can carry 1 unit, which was enough to ferry my cavalry into North Africa and conquer the enemy there.

Rome is the red stuff in the northeast; Carthage is the orange in the southwest. We're the white in the south, while the other colors are other Celts and Iberians (soon to fall under my advancing Turtles!)

I should add in the initial battle with Carthage, I lost only three cities, one of which was completely destroyed. We eventually repatriated them after discovering cavalry.
[This message has been edited by blackclove (edited June 19, 2000).]

Old June 24, 2000, 00:51   #19
Prometeus
Spanish Civers
King

I managed at last to end this beatifull scenario... in a bloody bath ( i missed three cities to Total victory - and i destroyed all the other goals ... i'm not a Roman i'm a Vandal)!!!!!!

Oh, it doesn't matter so... evil enemy, you have only two chances left: to be ruled by Rome or to be executed by her legionaries'swords!!!!
[This message has been edited by Prometeus (edited June 23, 2000).]