Old September 26, 2003, 15:15   #1
The Pioneer
Prince

Local Time: 10:20
Local Date: November 2, 2010
A question about trade
Ok, here I am in the modern era everybody has harbors, airports and the what nots but when I go to the diplomacy screen I still cannot trade some of my resources.

As an example: I want to Ecology form Spain so I ask her what she wants for that. She then gives me a list of things that she wants like World Map, Lump Sum and per turn and she also wants Wine. Nothing wrong, right? Well If I wanted to offer her Wine I could have not done it because I do not have the option on my screen!?!? So what I usually do, is aks a country Spain what they want for Ecology, then I delete all items except Wine and then ask her hwhat she will ofer me for that na d voila we have a deal. Now the question is why don't I have the option to start with? I play PTW version 1.21f.

So long....
Old September 26, 2003, 15:18   #2
Snotty
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Hmm. The only thing I can think of is that she is asking for your only source of wine. To you it appears grey in the top right corner, but you can still trade it if you click on it.

But I dont remember if the AI ever asks you for your only source of something.
Old September 26, 2003, 15:52   #3
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 03:20
That sounds kinda weird. I've never experienced a civ asking you for something you couldn't offer in trade.
Old September 26, 2003, 16:41   #4
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 05:20
Post a save, or at least a screenshot. That might help people figure it out.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old September 26, 2003, 18:51   #5
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 11:20
Very weird. Attach the save to your post if you can.

Maybe you are trading the wine with someone else, and Spain actually made you to break a treaty? Now that would be weird More likely it should be what Snotty says.
Did you check your active trades, before speaking with Spain? Also the F2 screen should show you if the trade is possible (bottom right of the screen: "Can trade with ..." ).

Edit: btw, I'd be advisible to upgrade to 1.27. There aren't too many differences, but who knows?
--Woody Allen

Last edited by Tiberius; September 26, 2003 at 19:02.
Old September 27, 2003, 11:33   #6
The Pioneer
Prince

Ok, here is the file. It's version PTW 1.21f and I play the Chinese. If you go to the diplomacy screen it's not only with the Spanish but with some of the civilizations too. There is no trade embargo against anybody so if anybody can give me a tip as to what's wrong, I'll appreciate it.

Also, in this turn (after I saved the game) I asked the English to withdraw their forces from my valuable land and THEY declared war on me. Fair enough. Now, I had a mutual protection pact with the Persians and the Spanish but these two also had a MPP with the english too and in the next turn they sided with the english and declared war on me?!?! What gives? Shouldn't they side with me since the English were the aggressors? How does MPP work when it comes to such a situation?

So long...

PS: Darn the file is too big and zipping won't help because it's still over 600k.
Old September 27, 2003, 11:38   #7
Snotty
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

try cutting chunks off with a paint program. or save it with a lower resolution/ number of colours.
Old September 27, 2003, 11:57   #8
Wazell
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Snotty
try cutting chunks off with a paint program. or save it with a lower resolution/ number of colours.
Umm, it's save file that is being talked about, they're usually over 1 meg of size. Screenshot would be very small, under 100k (unless it's .bmp ). However you could try spanning the zip file in smaller parts with winzip, and posting them then.
Old September 27, 2003, 12:02   #9
Snotty
King

Ah. In which case perhaps try saving the game rather than sending the auto save. I hear auto save doesnt compress the save file.
Old September 27, 2003, 13:10   #10
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:20
There is an upload funcion here that can handle large files. I have not used it but I have seen posted saves there.
Old September 27, 2003, 13:38   #11
PeaSoup
Warlord

Local Time: 02:20
Quote:
Originally posted by The Pioneer
Also, in this turn (after I saved the game) I asked the English to withdraw their forces from my valuable land and THEY declared war on me. Fair enough. Now, I had a mutual protection pact with the Persians and the Spanish but these two also had a MPP with the english too and in the next turn they sided with the english and declared war on me?!?! What gives? Shouldn't they side with me since the English were the aggressors? How does MPP work when it comes to such a situation?
for the MPP to trigger in your favor and have Persians and Spanish declare war on the English, you must leave at least 1 surviving English unit inside your borders. the MPP will be triggered the next turn and the above 2 civs will go to war with the English.

And remember, you can't have a single unit inside English's cultural borders, even if the unit did not attack anything.

However, I'm not sure when the MPP triggers, if it triggers during Persian and Spain's turns.. and if Lizzie had her turn first, she may be able to sign an alliance against you. Though I THINK it triggers at the beginning of the next turn, before everyone moves.. can anyone confirm?
Old September 28, 2003, 16:45   #12
The Pioneer
Prince

Ok, I uploaded the file but where the heck can I find it? Does anybody know?

@PeaSoup

Many thanks, it just worked out fine after I reloaded and followed your suggestions.

So long....
Old September 28, 2003, 18:34   #13
Wazell
Chieftain

You can find it easily from main upload page, just go to View Files and check the uploaded file's URL. Upload dir is http://apolyton.net/upload/files/ and each user's files are in their own subdirectory. Files are in it, but access is restricted so you can only get to them by View Files option and linking the file to Apolyton thread.
Old September 28, 2003, 18:36   #14
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Ok, I uploaded the file but where the heck can I find it? Does anybody know?
Use the "upload" at the top (as you did to upload the file to Poly), then click on "view files." Link onto your uploaded file.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old September 29, 2003, 12:15   #15
The Pioneer
Prince

So if I post the link the others can see it and dnload it, right?

So long...
Old September 29, 2003, 14:56   #16
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Yes, just post it already, damnit!
--Woody Allen
Old September 29, 2003, 16:07   #17
The Pioneer
Prince

Jeez, Louise! Don't I feel like a greenhorn asking all these questions . Now here is the link! . Could somebody give it a try?!

So long....
Old September 29, 2003, 17:47   #18
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Pioneer, you linked to the web page where you view your uploaded file.
You want to give use your password so we can view it? I thought not.

You have to link to the actual uploaded file.
For instance, to link to a file that I uploaded, it would be
"http://apolyton.net/upload/files/Jaybe/Jaybes_PTW_game.zip"
(without the quote marks) inside the URL thingies.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old September 30, 2003, 03:22   #19
Tiberius
Emperor

Pioneer, go to your Control Panel, then click "Upload". On the right of the Upload page you will have the "View files" tab; insert your name and passw. and click on the "View" button. A new page displaying all your uploaded files will appear.

Now, right click on the link describing your file (the save in this case, I suppose) and choose "Copy shortcut". Then come back here, and paste that link in your post.

More detailed than that I can't explain it
--Woody Allen
Old September 30, 2003, 12:53   #20
The Pioneer
Prince

I have turn red a hundred times and I am very ashamed of myself for those of you still interested in my case you can find the file here!

If this doesn't do it I will give you my password damn it!

So long... ...and thanks for bearing with me!
Old September 30, 2003, 13:36   #21
Tiberius
Emperor

We're bearing with you only because we are curious to see the save

I'm downloading it right now (in progress ....)
--Woody Allen
Old September 30, 2003, 14:34   #22
Tiberius
Emperor

First of all, you uploaded the save where you have already made the deal with the Ecology and the wines, so I can only guess what happened.

So: you had sold your only wine to Spain (a deal that will expire in 3 turns), then you bought wines from England ! (will expire in 16 turns)

So you have one local wine, you import one wine and you export one wine

After cancelling the trade with the spanish, I should have had 2 wines (1 local, 1 imported). Despite this, when offering wines to the French, it appeared as if I had only one (so with a 0 near the wines, in the trade screen). I was able to sell that wine, and my cities are still using the import wine.

What I understand from this is that in the trade screen, only local resources appear (I didn't know this). You can't sell something that is imported.

Pioneer, when there is a zero near a luxury/resource in the trade screen, it means that you have only one such luxury/resource (and you are using it for your own cities). Nevertheless, you can sell it, just click on it. Be careful, your cities will not be able to use it during the trade period! This is why you were able to buy later wines from England.
--Woody Allen

Last edited by Tiberius; September 30, 2003 at 14:39.
Old September 30, 2003, 14:41   #23
The Pioneer
Prince

So if I have 3 wines and I make a trade with wine I should have 2 left to trade right? Well why do they dissapear from my screen, as they never existed?

So long...
Old September 30, 2003, 14:46   #24
Tiberius
Emperor

I don't understand. You have only one wine.

You have 4 sillks. You are selling one silk to England and you have 3 others to offer. I sold them right now to France, the Ottomans and Egypt. They didn't disappear.
--Woody Allen
Old September 30, 2003, 14:55   #25
Tiberius
Emperor

There is one more possibility I can think of: let's say that you have 2 wines (both local), and you want to sell one of them (or both) but they aren't appearing in the trade screen. It means that your prospect is buying it from someone else. Only those resources appear that are needed by the other side.

You can't sell wines to the English, unless they sell all their wines to others. Nor can you sell wines to the Ottomans or to France, if they are already buying wines from England. The wines simply won't appear in the trade screen when talking with these nations.
--Woody Allen

Last edited by Tiberius; September 30, 2003 at 15:01.
Old September 30, 2003, 16:43   #26
The Pioneer
Prince

That is one important fact right there, that the prospect's lack of interest is the reason why I don't some times see available resources on my side on the diplomacy screen.

I see.

Thanks a bunch Tiberius, by the way I cool sayings on your signature.

So long...
Old October 1, 2003, 01:36   #27
Tiberius
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The Pioneer
Thanks a bunch Tiberius,
You're welcome

Btw, why didn't you wipe out the English yet ? Build 200 MAs and let them roll

Quote:
by the way I cool sayings on your signature.
This is why I put them there
--Woody Allen
Old October 1, 2003, 12:32   #28
The Pioneer
Prince

Oh, at the moment 1986 or so I am almost alone on the continent, some smaller damaged spanish and persian cities exist. I have build a city on the second continent and I am about to unleash hell with over 40 ICBM and Nukes. My invasion forces are waiting for my signal!
I will switch to Communism or Monarchy and then I will roll...

So long...
Old October 1, 2003, 14:53   #29
Tiberius
Emperor

Ahh, so you are nuke freak

Have fun
--Woody Allen