Old September 29, 2003, 18:48   #31
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Local Time: 05:22
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Perhaps we could push back the wonder too. Put it at Industrialization or Electricity. That'd be perfect.

I really hope y'all like the idea, cause I think its quite booty-licious

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old September 29, 2003, 19:18   #32
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Recap:

Deity--Can do USA 7pm Thursday, Africa or Australia, Deity or Emperor, yes to event, yes to ship move increase
Raz--time?, Mideast, difficulty?, yes to event, yes to ship move increase
Llejo-- ?
Ozzy--Can do USA 7pm Thursday, English, Emperor, yes to event, yes to ship move increase
Prom--Can do USA 7pm Thursday, civ?, King, canal event?, no opinion on ship move increase

Fill in the blanks folks. And we need 2 more. Cyrion?

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old September 29, 2003, 22:44   #33
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 19:22
Quote:
Originally posted by OzzyKP
Recap:

Deity--Can do USA 7pm Thursday, Africa or Australia, Deity or Emperor, yes to event, yes to ship move increase
Raz--time?, Mideast, difficulty?, yes to event, yes to ship move increase
Llejo-- ?
Ozzy--Can do USA 7pm Thursday, English, Emperor, yes to event, yes to ship move increase
Prom--Can do USA 7pm Thursday, civ?, King, canal event?, no opinion on ship move increase

Fill in the blanks folks. And we need 2 more. Cyrion?
Time no problems, jsut occasionaly due to shift work wil be unavaialble and need a sub , same as last time.

Mideast is fine.

Difficulty , I easy with that as i guess i usually paly MP at Deity level.

and yes this event thingy needs investigatino as to what we can do with it, sounds very exciting.....
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old September 29, 2003, 22:54   #34
Empress
The Empress

Local Time: 03:22
If you guys have an A/I slot or a slot that is played by whomever shows up, I would like to play. I cant commit to the regular game times, but if there is a sub spot, I would like to try my hand at it again

"Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative" --found on a bathroom wall
Old September 29, 2003, 23:09   #35
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

Glad to have you Empress. Getting back into it in a big way Welcome back to the diplogaming world, things have changed since you've been gone, might want to check the HOTW2 threads a bit. Great stuff there.

We will always need subs. I know I'll have things come up, and all people do.

Old September 29, 2003, 23:14   #36
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rasputin
Mideast is fine.
Oh, don't let me talk you into it. I just saw you mention elsewhere you wanted to try the mideast position from the beginning this time. If you are ambivilent about it, then by all means pick a different spot.

You did do a good job with the Israelis last time. So who are you gonna be this time? Israelis? Arabs? Turks? Babylonians? Persians/Iranians? ...Caananites?

Or... something else, somewhere else entirely?

Old September 29, 2003, 23:28   #37
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

One more thing, I'm afraid to broach the subject, but are we gonna try and figure out an end game?

There was a minor uproar in opposition to the spaceship ending in HOTW2. That kinda killed the game at the end, though it was a fantastic game. HOTW3 had a fantastic solution to the problem, but may have overcomplicated matters and never got there anyways.

Do we try to find a solution now or just enjoy the time we have together until then?

Old September 30, 2003, 02:43   #38
Cyrion
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 11:22
Quote:
Cyrion, being such a fan and all, would you be interested in playing?
As interested as I would be, it would be near impossible: the timezone difference would be too problematic (I'm in GMT+1) and I don't want to commit in the week-end so... I'll keep on reading, and maybe subbing once in a while!

Quote:
It is possible we set up some other stuff with that event? Like maybe instead of make it triggered by time, we could do something to initiate it. Like build rails and irrigate a specific square. That would require us to actively participate in some action, and since it would require rails it would make sure it was at the appropriate time. Also, since both projects were costly in terms of money and lives if the square turned to ocean immediately and sunk the settler on that square that'd be a very interesting idea too. Something as great as the Panama or Suez canal do not happen without risks.

Could we also... link it to a wonder? Oh, thats a great idea Ozzy! The Eiffel Tower could trigger the opening of the canals. That'd be fantastic. Put it in the right time period, have some cost, and actually make use of that otherwise worthless wonder.

Maybe Eiffel AND the settler/railroad thing. Or just Eiffel. Or... I like this idea.
And yes, that would be an excellent way to make Eiffel Tower useful: you can link an event to a Wonder building, so you can easily change the terrain at the creation of the Wonder! And to choose at which time you can make, that's even easier: just change the pre-requisite for the Wonder in the rules.txt file (for instance, use "Railroad" as a pre-req for Eiffel Tower).

And 1 more thougt: you could
1) Rename "Eiffel Tower" to "Suez Canal" and use Railroad as a pre-req (and as obsolence tech, to make sure the Wonder has no other effect than the terrain change)
2) Rename "Great Wall" (for instance, or any Wonder you don't want to allow in your game) to "Panama canal" and use the tech of you choice as a pre-req (and as obsolence tech, to make sure the Wonder has no other effect than the terrain change)

Actually that's something I have been wanting to try in a scen for a few month now, so I would be glad to implement it for you!

BTW: any unit on the terrain at the time of the Changeterrain will be destroyed...
LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464
Old September 30, 2003, 16:34   #39
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyrion
And 1 more thougt: you could
1) Rename "Eiffel Tower" to "Suez Canal" and use Railroad as a pre-req (and as obsolence tech, to make sure the Wonder has no other effect than the terrain change)
2) Rename "Great Wall" (for instance, or any Wonder you don't want to allow in your game) to "Panama canal" and use the tech of you choice as a pre-req (and as obsolence tech, to make sure the Wonder has no other effect than the terrain change)
How about Eiffel be Suez, and we make Oracle be Panama. No one ever builds Oracle anyways. Though if we pushed back the obsolescence of Oracle ala Rah's rules, then it would be a useful wonder. The other one could be... Seti? I figure since its so late in the game we either won't get a chance to use it anyways, or it won't make much of a difference as most of the tech will already be discovered.

Those are the only generally useless wonders I can think of. Unless we wanted to remove a wonder cause we thought it'd give too much of an advantage, like great wall, but I'd prefer not.

Old September 30, 2003, 23:05   #40
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 19:22
yep all these suggestions are sounding good. i didnt mean anything by my "mid east is fine" comment other than what it means. I am fine with whatever civ i get, regardles of it sname or origin i will make story to fit .. LOL

but Arab tribe might be fun. PErhpas ancient arabs pre palestine, so the Canaanites or some such thing.
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old October 1, 2003, 08:30   #41
deity
DiploGamesCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 21:22
Can we start this week?
And Empress! Can you play with us??
Old October 1, 2003, 08:34   #42
deity
Emperor

I reckon we need 7 players for the first session, then we play each week as long as 5 players show. If you can't make it give as much notice as possible and try to line up a BRIEFED sub...
Old October 1, 2003, 10:27   #43
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

Quote:
Originally posted by deity
Can we start this week?
Not until we find more players and pick a deffinate time.

Deity, what civ do you want to be and what coordinates would you like to start?

Same question for Raz, Prom and Llejo.

Llejo said that Thursday nights won't work for him. What does everyone think about Saturday mornings? Like 9am-1pm Eastern?

Old October 1, 2003, 10:31   #44
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

"but Arab tribe might be fun. PErhpas ancient arabs pre palestine, so the Canaanites or some such thing."

When I played the Arabs in HOTW3 I started at 96,58 and made my capitol Mecca. Bunch of desert there, but 3 specials, so its a decent spot. Would that work for you?

Old October 1, 2003, 17:36   #45
Frank Johnson
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Hello guys. Well its been awhile hasn't it?

Wow, diplo games. That seems like such a long time ago. Not that the idea doesn't still excite me if we could get something regular setup.

I've done a bit of growing since I've played last, unfortuently that means holding down a job with the new crooked E (Dell) and taking a full load of classes at University which of course are history, pol sci and chinese. ^_^

I think I could nail down a regular night during the week for you, or all of sunday, however it looks like thursday is the most popular day so far and its by far the worst for me since I can pretty much guarentee I'll have to attend a meeting at 10pm EST at my work on Thursday nights and I live a good 30 minutes away from my work site.

If you're still interested in holding the game on a day other than thursday, I can do sundays, or any other week night besides thursday if I know ahead of time and beat it into my boss.

Besides that I would be happy to take the Chinese or one of the other pan-asain powers. I've just renewed my studies in chinese language so you'd have to watch out for some annoying dialog!

If any of you need some help on graphics, moding, or what not let me know. I guess I was fair with it back in the day. BTW what was my / our great solution for the spaceship in HOTW3? I forgot. X_X
Old October 1, 2003, 17:44   #46
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

"BTW what was my / our great solution for the spaceship in HOTW3? I forgot. X_X"

In HOTW3 as planned we would have an alien invasion at some point in time towards the end of the game that would threaten humanity's existance on earth. We drafted Markus to be the alien horde when needed and gave them some supped up units.

To be strong enough to defeat the aliens, earth must either unite through cooperation or conquest. This gave a very unique ending in place of the traditional spaceship or world conquest ending. Tis a pity we never got that far.

Old October 1, 2003, 17:51   #47
Frank Johnson
King

Oh yeah. I remember I was stealing all sorts of stuff from the xcom scenario and my robotech scenario to make that ending. ^_^

Yeah that would have been a good one, but we really never worked out the exact size of the alien force, which would be important for determinning the winner if any of the game.
Old October 1, 2003, 19:57   #48
deity
Emperor

I can do ANY USA Weds, THurs, Fri or Sat night (NOT this Fri though).

USA mornings are not good.

ozzy, I'll have a think about my locale.

Who's hosting?

Hi Dang
Old October 1, 2003, 21:22   #49
OzzyKP
staff
ACS Staff Member

Ok, here is a list of everyone's availability so far. If anyone can add more times to this list (or players) it'd be excellent. All times USA Eastern.

Frank - Any weeknight except Thursday, and Sunday all day
Deity - Weds, Thurs, Fri or Sat night
Prom - Thurs night
Raz - Flexible
Ozzy - Any weeknight but after 9 on Friday, Sat night, not Sunday night.
Llejo - Weekends

I can host, but I'm on dial-up so I better not.

Old October 2, 2003, 00:33   #50
deity
Emperor

Quote:

Not until we find more players and pick a deffinate time.

Deity, what civ do you want to be and what coordinates would you like to start?

Same question for Raz, Prom and Llejo.

Llejo said that Thursday nights won't work for him. What does everyone think about Saturday mornings? Like 9am-1pm Eastern?
So which map am I looking at to set the starting locale?

The HOTW2 one? Have we a new map yet for d/l?
Old October 2, 2003, 00:37   #51
deity
Emperor

So, if we keep Australia and America clear the 7th civ should be in India I guess? And move Mongols further West?

I think spys should be REALLY expensive too = 400 shields. Stops cheap spy raiding and gives them real significance.

Add the Dreadnought with Refining too
Old October 2, 2003, 00:39   #52
deity
Emperor

Suggest:

To lower importance of LH reduce tri mvt to 2 but make them unsinkable. Increase Caravel to 4. And increase all other sea movement by 1 or 2.
Old October 2, 2003, 00:41   #53
deity
Emperor

But LH increases all sea movement by 1.
Old October 2, 2003, 01:01   #54
Frank Johnson
King

LOL.....

Should I dig up the old realism patch? Unfortuently I think it got fried long ago. Remember that one little bout we had with makeo and Hydey? When my capital got burned down on my mini-map but they gave up after you stole india and I countered with all my storm troopers? Those were the days.

I think I remember all those changes, dreadnoughts with refining 8/8/4 80 3/2 ? Infantry with machine tools, 6/5/1 50 +50% vs mounted, uh....Facism replaced fundy, and storm troopers were 7/5/1 50 no support facs only,

There were some other minor changes but....that was the jist of it.
Old October 2, 2003, 01:26   #55
deity
Emperor

Yeah that sounds right!

I got that scn you did btw

Want it?
Old October 2, 2003, 01:27   #56
deity
Emperor

So let's kich off this USA Sat night? Convince Prom and Empress that it's in their intersts, besides, it's my b'day And I'm p!ssed
Old October 2, 2003, 01:28   #57
Frank Johnson
King

Ah yeah....sure just for record keepings sake. I don't want to hijack the game, but I'd like to see the map too.
Old October 2, 2003, 01:43   #58
deity
Emperor

Dang, that was a brilliant game with Frank/deity/Berz against Makeo/Hydey/Nappy. It was a small Earth map - worth considering for a diplo.
Old October 2, 2003, 01:53   #59
deity
Emperor

smallEarthDip made by Dangime (Frank)
This is the latest one I think...
Attached Files:
File Type: zip smallearthdip.zip (336.4 KB, 6 views)
Old October 2, 2003, 02:06   #60
Frank Johnson
King

Thanks for the package Deity. I found an updated version of just the map on a CD I kept. I made a few changes after the fact to improve the playablity of the map.

Basicly I just cut off Spain from Africa so the African player doesn't get right in the face of a european player immediately. I also made the canal zones solid and unpassable unless a city is built there.

This is just one option we have. This map had 2 advantages. There was very little and to no lag, and turns were quite short right to up the climatic final battles. I also limited the size of cities in the mod, but we don't necessarily have to do all the same mods again. Hopefully this just will stir up some ideas amongst the players. This map would be good if we wanted to get into the action quickly.