View Poll Results: On a whole, how would you rate Trudeau as a Prime Minister?
0 (HORRIBLE!) 9 33.33%
1 0 0%
2 1 3.70%
3 1 3.70%
4 0 0%
5 (EH...) 2 7.41%
6 0 0%
7 2 7.41%
8 3 11.11%
9 0 0%
10 (FANTASTIQUE!) 2 7.41%
I like my bananas on the side. 7 25.93%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 30, 2003, 10:13   #61
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 05:24
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I know a guy who was arrested a couple of dozen times in the space of a week by the army. No probable cause, no charges. Just tossed in the back of a paddywagon for speaking French and going to university.

That's not something I'm proud of as a Canadian.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old September 30, 2003, 10:16   #62
KrazyHorse
Deity

It's interesting that the Albertans whine about breaking an economic agreement, but laugh off a massive, coordinated violation of the civil rights of a whole population.

It has nothing to do with PET's hypothesis about "bleeding hearts" who don't like seeing a soldier's helmet, either.....
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old September 30, 2003, 13:12   #63
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 17:24
Quote:
Originally posted by KrazyHorse
It's interesting that the Albertans whine about breaking an economic agreement, but laugh off a massive, coordinated violation of the civil rights of a whole population.
Yeah, it just goes to show that people love a politician who stomps on people, as long as it ain't them.
Old September 30, 2003, 13:44   #64
optimus2861
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
Why not? Newfoundland makes assloads of money off oil now that Hibernia works, the problem is it's just a shithole of a province that can't figure out how to manage its province.
First, you're treading awfully close to Maritime/Atlantic flaming. Not appreciated. Most of us out here are hard-working tax-paying honest folk like you, who grumble about how the feds don't understand us (we've got that much in common).

Second, there's a serious flaw in the transfer-payments system in situations like Newfoundland's (and to a lesser extent, Nova Scotia's with our offshore natural gas reserves). For every $1 in energy revenues earned by the province, federal transfer payments get clawed back something like 80%. So the province only ends up about 20% better off; a rather poor R.O.I. for such major projects. How's the province supposed to invest those revenues to improve their economy if the feds just take away other funds at almost the same rate?
"If you doubt that an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the combined works of Shakespeare, consider: it only took 30 billion monkeys and no typewriters." - Unknown
Old September 30, 2003, 13:50   #65
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 17:24
Yup, of course when Alberta went from a have-not to a have province, they got to keep 100% of the oil revenues and the hand outs from Ottawa (something that Albertans like to forget).
Old September 30, 2003, 16:53   #66
cinch
Warlord

Local Time: 02:24
Quote:
I know a guy who was arrested a couple of dozen times in the space of a week by the army. No probable cause, no charges. Just tossed in the back of a paddywagon for speaking French and going to university.

That's not something I'm proud of as a Canadian.
See, I'm not proud of that either, but I still can't condemn Trudeau for doing what he did, just like I can't condemn military leaders when their soldiers commit immoral acts.

It was extreme, yes, but we all know that hindsight is 20/20, and it can be agreed that the action seems to have had at least some positive effect at bringing about an end to major FLQ actions.

I mean, I'm no fan of Quebec's oppressive language laws, but it's better than tossing bodies in trunks, I'd wager.
Old September 30, 2003, 17:11   #67
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Margret Trudeau was pretty hot.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old September 30, 2003, 17:27   #68
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Quote:
Why don't we (Americans) ever have conversations like this about, say, West Virginia or Arkansas?
Probably because the implied transfer payments are not that large in the US.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old September 30, 2003, 17:35   #69
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Here's the chart. Please note that the states who receive a lot more than they give are generally rather small. VA & MD are special cases, since that's where Washington is at and the federal gov't spends a lot of money.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	chart_distribution_991209_n.gif
Views:	18
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	54199  
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old September 30, 2003, 17:38   #70
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
Here's the chart. . . .
What I find funny is that people who live in states on the receiveing end seem to think they're the ones being drained by the Feds.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old September 30, 2003, 21:04   #71
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 03:24
Quote:

It has nothing to do with PET's hypothesis about "bleeding hearts" who don't like seeing a soldier's helmet, either.....
It's interesting that some Quebecers whine about an insurrection being put down by the army, but they think it's quite funny that people from another province would be upset about their economy being raped by an arrogant and uncaring central government.

I guess the thousands and 10's of thousands who lost their jobs, their homes, and their businesses shouldn't be upset because about a thousand people somewhere else were 'inconvenienced' for a few days by being detained for links or suspected links to a group that had just kidnapped and murdered a cabinet minister and a foreign diplomat.

I think it has everything to do with people not giving a **** about what happens to 'them over there', but what happens to themselves should be everyone's concern.

Last edited by notyoueither; September 30, 2003 at 21:29.
Old September 30, 2003, 21:07   #72
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Tingkai
Yup, of course when Alberta went from a have-not to a have province, they got to keep 100% of the oil revenues and the hand outs from Ottawa (something that Albertans like to forget).
Hand outs from Ottawa?
Old September 30, 2003, 21:12   #73
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by cinch

See, I'm not proud of that either, but I still can't condemn Trudeau for doing what he did, just like I can't condemn military leaders when their soldiers commit immoral acts.
How does that make sense?

T ordered the army to do just what they did. Round up everyone possibly connected to the FLQ and put a stop to the political violence.

Either it was moral to do that and he did the right thing, or it was immoral and he did the wrong thing. Either way he ordered the acts, did he not?
Old September 30, 2003, 21:32   #74
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 18:24
Quote:
Isn't that sufficient?
Old September 30, 2003, 23:20   #75
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 04:24
Quote:
Besides, replanting is not the only part of creating a sustainable forestry industry. The problem is that BC could be chopping down so many trees that there will be a gap before the next batch is ready.

Then we get into a debate as to what counts as harvestable timber, and what does not. The way that I see it is to look at all the beetle wood. The beetle wood consumes far more trees than the forest industry would in a year.

Quote:
And the even bigger problem is that we don't have a big picture of how many trees are being cut.
We have good estimates, based on stumpage payments.

Quote:
Ironically, the US softwood tariff could be a blessing in disguise. It could force the BC forestry industry to switch to high value, more labour-intensive products. That would benefit BC's economy a lot more than just chopping down trees as fast as possible.
No. All the money that would otherwise go to capital investment goes to keep the mills running. Almost all of the coastal mills have shut down because their margins have increased.

The only reasons why the interiot mills continue to run is because of the low margins in harvesting lumber.

Perhaps once we have an agreement, the money will be there for capital investment.

Another option is to neglect the forest industry entirely. As a proportion of the provinces revenues forestry has declined tremendously. The problem will be what to do with all the North?

Quote:
Oil-gas scam is just another repeat of the "This mega project is going to make us all rich". That's what they said about the hydro dams
Hey, at least our power grid operates. We sell electricity at considerable profit to the Californians. Now if only we could get them to pay.

Quote:
BC still has a fishing industry
Non-native?

Last edited by Ben Kenobi; September 30, 2003 at 23:26.
Old September 30, 2003, 23:42   #76
cinch
Warlord

Local Time: 02:24
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither

How does that make sense?

T ordered the army to do just what they did. Round up everyone possibly connected to the FLQ and put a stop to the political violence.

Either it was moral to do that and he did the right thing, or it was immoral and he did the wrong thing. Either way he ordered the acts, did he not?

Well, it basically comes down to "possibly connected to the FLQ" and "just speaking French"... Now, I am going to back off a bit here, because granted, I don't know alot of individual case studies about what happened to certain folk... but I maintain that there is a difference between detaining people on suspicion of terrorism (if they had good reason) and just randomly arresting French people off the street (which is what KH implied).

Although, it should be noted that certain Arab-Canadians are being detained in Canada right now on "suspicion" of being terrorists, with as much, or less, evidence against them than anyone arrested in the FLQ Crisis. So this isn't a Trudeau/Martial-Law only phenomenon.
Old October 1, 2003, 01:00   #77
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by cinch

Well, it basically comes down to "possibly connected to the FLQ" and "just speaking French"... Now, I am going to back off a bit here, because granted, I don't know alot of individual case studies about what happened to certain folk... but I maintain that there is a difference between detaining people on suspicion of terrorism (if they had good reason) and just randomly arresting French people off the street (which is what KH implied).

Although, it should be noted that certain Arab-Canadians are being detained in Canada right now on "suspicion" of being terrorists, with as much, or less, evidence against them than anyone arrested in the FLQ Crisis. So this isn't a Trudeau/Martial-Law only phenomenon.
Uhhhh... if speaking French in Quebec could have got you detained, there would not have been many outside of detention. That was an interesting thing for him to say, but think about it...

I suppose the arab Canadians being detained right now might have a case for wrong doing. Unfortunately for them, they are being detained after an investigation by CSIS and the RCMP. I highly doubt they were detained for simply being ethnically arab. If they were, that would be a shame on us.
Old October 1, 2003, 04:26   #78
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 04:24
Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara

What I find funny is that people who live in states on the receiveing end seem to think they're the ones being drained by the Feds.
Which states are you refering to?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.